Alexi Laiho Signature Pickup.....

I would agree if not for the fact that I really can't think of another company that would make any sense.

I mean, Seymour Duncan was logical, considering they've always made hard rock and metal pickups and then came out with a new active one.

He's already with EMG now, and was before trying SD.

It's not like he can use Jackson pickups. And I really doubt he'll try Dean.

That really only leaves Dimarzio. Which doesn't seem to fit quite right, either.

Since he is releasing a signature serie, im guessing he would stay pretty long ... Or hes going to use different pickups but with emg pu covers ^^

I don't find J50BC to be very trebley...actually it sounds bassy to me :S. Or atleast it did when I had it in poplar bodied guitars. And with a 5150 it had enough gain for metal. No boosts needed really.
Dude, a 5150 has so much gain ... its ridiculous. But try a boost (Boss OD1 or a Tubescreamer) with it, its going to sound more heavier and tighter.

To bad that i missed that there is a Alexi HZ set. I just bought Hz H4, but want more gain to it.

Can you buy ABQ Booster sepretly? or is only with the Alexi set ONLY?

I really don't understand why the USA esp's have the dip switch and the pickup set has a push pull...

-_-.

I'm waiting to see if there is any big difference.

^^Get a Overdrive pedal or something...It's just so stupid to get a expensive ass booster that in the end is no good anyways. Trust me...I did it once!

Last time I checked was the Alexi interview and he said the pickup aint fully done yet...That It's around prototype stages...

I think it was on EMGTV.

Anyway, Who gives a shit..It's just another thing that will supposedly make over 9000 fanbois sound like Alexi.

^ i agree. The only good thing i see about signature equipments is that it promotes a musician's work. other than that i prefer to experiment by myself and figure what i really like to sound like...

from COB's myspace yesterday:

Wednesday, June 10, 2009

EMG Announces Alexi Laiho Signature Pickup Set
EMG, Inc., a leading manufacturer of pickups and accessories, has released The EMG-ALX with ABQ EQ/Boost - the new Alexi Laiho signature model. This is a newly
designed EMG passive model - custom wound - and includes the new ABQ EQ/Boost which features a push (to activate) / pull (to deactivate) control.

For more information, visit Alexi's EMG page:
http://www.emgpickups.com/products/index/223

l_eeb9d08fad3f42a4ac90ac897ca88bd8.jpg

Ok, that means that it's some kind of EMG HZ and a EMG gainboost - NOT MM-04 - which is like a sort of an EMG PA-2 I think (cause that could explain the low price).

It's funny that Alexi promotes his new signature pickup but he doesn't use it :loco:

Ok, that means that it's some kind of EMG HZ and a EMG gainboost - NOT MM-04 - which is like a sort of an EMG PA-2 I think (cause that could explain the low price).

It's funny that Alexi promotes his new signature pickup but he doesn't use it :loco:

Yeah, It also boosts gain but also has a EQ...making it very similar to a MM-04.

The cheap price is easily explained by that It's done by a company with a large production rate and workforce. MM-04 was kinda "Custom-shop"...It was only done in small quantities as you may well know...and not by some official large-ass-million-dollar-company like EMG. That is a logical explanation to me. Also, If the MM-04 is as similar to JE1000 as it's said to be It should be dirtcheap. It would be fairly simple to make one yourself even if posessing only basic knowledge in electronic studies/soldering. So, I don't know...slapping Alexi's name to a MM-04 surely doubled the value if not tripled...the EMG price would be alot more realistic.

He might still use this set for all we know or is currently swapping to it in his guitars. If the ABQ is a copy of MM-04 as i think then I actually don't see a point to toss otu the MM-04 and put in the ABq so he might just use the new pickup. Anyways, I made my point earlier i think...Lussi said it straight out too. This is kinda bullshit :lol:

EDIT: Was checking prices on EMG on thomann and i rofl'd on the description of EMG 81. "the Sound of Metallica, on many Metal Guitars" :lol:

yea looks like its just a MM04/JE-1000 in a different form. it has 3 dip switches and the blue box on the bottom right of the circuit board is the trim pot for the amount of gain boost, just like the MM-04/JE-1000.

It probably wasnt hard for EMG to make a JE-1000 clone, just like ESP did, and put it in their own form