Alex's account of the Starland Gig in New Jersey

AlexStomp

Feb 7, 2002
DC area
Visit site
OK. We were supposed to leave DC around 3pm originally but then I managed to get myself out of work completely on that Friday. We were going to be able to leave DC around 1. My friend goofs around and doesn't show up to pick me up from DC until a quarter to six. He was all like "we'll get there in time, don't worry". Then we hit major major trafic on the way out from DC and Jeff calls me from NJ. He's already there hanging out and when I tell him where I am, he's all like "uuuuhhhhh". He didn't think I was gonna make it. So I decided to calm my nerves with a little sweetleaf the moment we finally hit the NJ Turnpike. We got there right in the middle of Caught in a Mosh and that's exactly what I immediately did. I got caught in the mosh and surfed my way up to the front. The show was intense. It was so surreal upon first looking at this line up close and live. Joey did all the songs almost flawlessly. I was so impressed. He was much better than when I saw him solo. I guess he needs a powerful band behind him to make him sing powerfully. The band really made me move. I was super animated in the pit. I must have surfed 5 or 6 times and there were video cameras zooming around. I wonder if I'll make the DVD? My only complaint was what's already been discussed in previous reviews...Danny's sound. It would cut out, feedback, too loud, too soft, etc etc throughout the night. Maybe he should simplify his rig?? Frankie was on point. Super on point. My favorite part of his performance would have been the Got the Time solo but since I got there late it was when he chugged a bottle of Crown Royal. It would inspire me for what I did later on in the night. After the show, I proceeded to the bar where me and my bud chugged a couple of shots of Crown Royal and some beer. That's also about the point where I met up with Jeff(Prime666), Gene, Thraxx and someone else but I can't remember. Someone was kind enough to invite us backstage (thank you, whoever you are). I'm sure Jeff will refresh my memory. You have to understand, I was wasted as hell. I look up and lo and behold, it's Scott. He's all like, "hi Alex" and I guess he was in a hurry to do some interview or go out or something. I said "hi" back and then he dipped. In the back was the rest of the band. There was a bottle of Maker's Mark. I kept chugging from it. Jeff would give me a look like "what the fuck are you doing !?!??" Later on, his look would change to "go for it dude!!". Joey Belladonna gave me a look when I guzzled that bottle, "Damn!". It was priceless. Frank, Charlie, his wife and friends were all super cool. My shout out if any of them read this !!

As much as I enjoyed the show. I still wish Bush would have been a part of this reunion to celebrate the anniversary of the band. I still enjoy his music and think he deserves to be in the band. Same goes with Caggiano

I'm not sure how much I would like a new record with Joey fronting the band.

The Starland gig served it's purpose well for me. One hell of a nostalgic trip !!!

thraxx said:
Were you with Prime666 ... i came down and took you upstairs right????

Yeah, I was with him. If you look at the Greater of Two Evils photo, you can see us sitting right behind the band in that group shot.

I think you took us to the back but someone else took us upstairs. I had so much fun that night.

The other guy who helped us out is named Izzy. I know he works with the band in some way and is a hell of a nice guy. I would have helped you down that bottle but I can't take a chance of getting a D.W.I... And like Alex I had a blast. My friend Gene is a one of the biggest Anthrax fans I know (besides myself). To sit back stage and just shoot the shit with the band was truly an experiance for us both....
Thanks again to all who hooked us up....

Charlie is right, the best pizza in the world is in NYC..

I'm not a big fan of Chicago style pizza. I put my vote in for New York. Brooklyn in particular.

DD: YOU ROCK!!!!! Thanks, lovey!

I may rock but you make me hard as a :hotjump:

Haven't had NY style yet. The Russian guy around the corner from my house makes some good pizza though.

prime666 said:
The other guy who helped us out is named Izzy. ......Thanks again to all who hooked us up....
I was gonna say, "I bet it was Izzy who let you backstage." Izzy is a great guy! He called me (might have been because I talked to Charlie on the phone about the guestlist and Charlie was swamped. Charlie might have talked to Izzy who talked to me and Ted).
I'm really glad everything worked out, and that you all enjoyed the gig. I can't wait until they come to Denver sometime this fall.

"There was a bottle of Maker's Mark. I kept chugging from it. Jeff would give me a look like "what the fuck are you doing !?!??"

Not smart. Lucky you dident get kicked out. Some one did that same thing at the HOB a few weeks ago, and lets just say the guys where not to happy about that.

DarbysDad said:
I may rock but you make me hard as a :hotjump:

Haven't had NY style yet. The Russian guy around the corner from my house makes some good pizza though.

Let me kneed that for you!

Buddy_Love_Bomb said:
"There was a bottle of Maker's Mark. I kept chugging from it. Jeff would give me a look like "what the fuck are you doing !?!??"

Not smart. Lucky you dident get kicked out. Some one did that same thing at the HOB a few weeks ago, and lets just say the guys where not to happy about that.

I did it right in front of everyone and nobody cared. As a matter of fact, Joey Belladonna kind of egged me on about it. Thanks for your concern though.

Alex... I didn't realize that was you... you were a wild man... eyes glazed, telling us all to eat at the restaurant you work at in DC... you kept making the rounds saying good night to all of us... my friend Mike couldn't believe that you were upright after all the top shelf. Glad you had a good time and I'm glad you were able to make it up in time for the bulk of the show.

Johnny Ace said:
Alex... I didn't realize that was you... you were a wild man... eyes glazed, telling us all to eat at the restaurant you work at in DC... you kept making the rounds saying good night to all of us... my friend Mike couldn't believe that you were upright after all the top shelf. Glad you had a good time and I'm glad you were able to make it up in time for the bulk of the show.

Thanks for noticing bro !!!! I was fuct up as hell. I was just trying to let loose and have a fun time. What better place to do it than at an Anthrax show !?!??!