All about the pickups

DeathPact

Packed with death
Jan 19, 2005
London, but not from
whats your favourite pickups?
Id like to get EMG 81 or the pasive version Hz h4. Anybody played with these?
Im trying to figure out why the pasive would be alexi's choice if he could have the more expensive 81's :p
only other brands i know about is Duncan and DMzio. Just dont know what to get but i heard that it makes a huge diffrence if you change from your standard manufacturer's pickups.

ESP have a deal with EMG to put HZ as standard... jsut like jackson use duncans.

and i prefer the EMG 85... much more ballsy

i have an 81 in my black guitar, and a HZ with PA-2 in my white one.

My jackson had duncan designed detonator pups, and they sucked ass so I put in the EMG ZW-set (81 and 85). The difference was unbelievable. However, my favourite pups are 81 in the bridge and 60 in the neck. (Tested the ESP/LTD truckster.Liked the sound,not the guitar.)

Nowadays I have those EMG HZ's in my M-302. They are decent pups, but I would prefer the 81/60 combo, because the body is made of mahogany.(Heavy wood.) Don't get me wrong, I think they are excellent passives, I just happen to like actives more.

i wonder if alexi had some ohter picups, would most of us change them to the same other picups :)
I had an 81 and when I started playing clean i sold it quickly :) yea I know I shouldve buy 85 or some SA instead but I did not :)

i really like EMG 81, 85, the HZ ones sound too... sterile.

just for fun i want to install a duncan dimebucker in my bridge position just cause i love that darrell buzz saw tone so much!~ :headbang:

SILENT(_)SCREAM said:
i really like EMG 81, 85, the HZ ones sound too... sterile.

just for fun i want to install a duncan dimebucker in my bridge position just cause i love that darrell buzz saw tone so much!~ :headbang:

dude, go cut your fucking signature down.

I perfer using dimarzio x2n's OR bill lawrence xl-500's, either one boosted with a neal moser booster switch (it boosts the signal 10x, in other words, good bye emg in terms of output) also the x2n is more balanced then many of the "high gain" pickups i have play, plus chuck schuldiner used to play them so im a bit biased there too. (RIP chuck), btw, dont EVER by SD Invaders, muddiest crap on the planet in maple, alder and mahogany guitars! ick....