All metal recording GODS help us out!

It's a simple 2 or 3 mouse clicks to adjust the Hardware Buffer between tracking and mixing. And on my Mac, I don't even have to do that very often. But that's why I only use our Custom-built PC's for running HD. Don't have to worry about them screwing up when the TDM is handling the work. LE runs just fine on a decent Mac.

You really need to read some stuff about recording music with a softwareapplication on a computer.

You really need to read some stuff about recording music with a softwareapplication on a computer.

I misunderstood, because I assumed you were having tracking latency issues. I just went back and read the earlier post where you said "plug-in" latency, so MY BAD. And trust me... I've done enough reading in the past 9 years. I don't appreciate being called a n00b, in your round about way. I've been engineering for 12 years, mixing for 9, and producing for 5. FAR from a PRO, but FAR from a n00b as well. There was a simple "miss" in my reading your post earlier.

Now as for the plug-in latency... No. They haven't fixed it and I have NO IDEA why. But, honestly, I have not had that many issues with it, because I just use our LE systems for occasional "touch up" tracking, and editing. Before Pro Tools, I was a Cubase & Wavelab man. And quite honestly, with the mics, pres, and comps, etc. that we have at our studios, everything we did with Cubase sounded just as good as everything we've done Pro Tools HD. But, the PT-HD system gets the clients in the door. So, we got it. I mean there are ways around the plug-in latency issues in LE. But they still aren't very efficient. So, I get your point there.

But, personally, I think the kid needs to just go get hands-on experience somewhere, rather than buying a bunch of shit he has NO opinion of, and NO idea how to use it.

I misunderstood, because I assumed you were having tracking latency issues. I just went back and read the earlier post where you said "plug-in" latency, so MY BAD. And trust me... I've done enough reading in the past 9 years. I don't appreciate being called a n00b, in your round about way. I've been engineering for 12 years, mixing for 9, and producing for 5. FAR from a PRO, but FAR from a n00b as well. There was a simple "miss" in my reading your post earlier.

Now as for the plug-in latency... No. They haven't fixed it and I have NO IDEA why. But, honestly, I have not had that many issues with it, because I just use our LE systems for occasional "touch up" tracking, and editing. Before Pro Tools, I was a Cubase & Wavelab man. And quite honestly, with the mics, pres, and comps, etc. that we have at our studios, everything we did with Cubase sounded just as good as everything we've done Pro Tools HD. But, the PT-HD system gets the clients in the door. So, we got it. I mean there are ways around the plug-in latency issues in LE. But they still aren't very efficient. So, I get your point there.

But, personally, I think the kid needs to just go get hands-on experience somewhere, rather than buying a bunch of shit he has NO opinion of, and NO idea how to use it.

"Oops, my bad" would have been enough for a beer.

The kid has money to blow, so he will blow it. Just let him have his fun, and when he gets into trouble -which will be very soon ofcourse- he will hire someone to help him. Prob via the store he bought his stuff.

Relax.

"Oops, my bad" would have been enough for a beer.

The kid has money to blow, so he will blow it. Just let him have his fun, and when he gets into trouble -which will be very soon ofcourse- he will hire someone to help him. Prob via the store he bought his stuff.

Relax.

Oh dude... totally relaxed. Don't take my tone wrong. It's all good. (fyi-when I get pissed, I'm one of those CAPS lock dick heads.:lol:)...

I see what you are saying... Kind of a "he's fukt anyway" outlook. Which, honestly, I don't even think it matters anymore. He hasn't posted anything in the thread for quite a while, so I think the 1st few posts scared him off anyway.

Actually, no one has really tried to help you with a business plan - what they're saying is this:

Investing $50K in something you know very little about is madly short-sighted.

ok, not to join the army of naysayers and shit, but let's play pretend for a minute...

imagine i went onto a gordon ramsey bulletin board, and was like "hey guys! i want to open a restaurant and be a chef, but i've never cooked a meal in my life...i have $50k to throw at this thing - where should i start?"

you're probably going to get a bunch of people telling you to get some pots and pans, a spice rack, and a cookbook

now apply that same logic here

So I decided I might as well be cool and put together a shopping list for you guys, assuming you still need some advice. I think you've been pretty clear about your goals and there is nothing wrong with using a good portion of an advance to get yourself into a good rig. Most of us here would welcome the opportunity, but use the money wisely, so let's all give this band the benefit of the doubt and assume they're intelligent, goal oriented, and practical, hence they've come to some knowledgeable people for advice.

Anyway, here goes:
  • RME FireFace 800 (you can't buy a better interface for any price!) - $1699
  • Presonus DigiMax 96 - great way to expand your interface to add 8 additional mic preamps using ADAT optical cable (lightpipe). Get two of these if you want to add 16 additional pres to your interface (great for drums!), since the RME FireFace has two banks of lightpipe I/O. - $1329
  • Audix DP Elite 8 Drum Mic Pack - Includes most of what you'll need to record your drums. Add additional mics if you need them (such as an additional Audix D6 kick drum mic if you have two kick drums, or an extra Audix D4 floor tom mic for an additional floor tom.) The included Audix i5 "snare" mic is like a better version of a Shure SM57, and it sounds absolutely phenomenal on guitar cabinets. It's my mic of choice for that and it's what I used on my band's album for all the guitar tone along with my 5150 and Mesa 4x12 (see my signature) - $1999
  • Audio Technica 4060 - Incredible sounding vocal tube condenser mic that also can handle acoustic guitar, and even electric guitar cabinets. It's what I use for all my lead vocals, and I know it's also a favorite go-to mic for George Massenburg among other famous engineers. - $1249
  • Reamp - If you guys have heard of reamping, this is the device the technique is named after. It sparked the trend, and again it's what I use (check their users page - I'm the last photo on the bottom!) - $199
  • Radial JDV Mk III - The best DI box on the market. Use it for all your guitars and bass. - $399
  • Yamaha HS50M active monitoring package with sub - These are getting excellent reviews and won't break the bank either. - $799
  • Steinberg Cubase 4 - The best DAW software on the market. I've tried them all and that's my opinion, but I know there are others here who will back me up on this, and if you have any questions on how to use it, many of us here have the answers. - $599
  • Reason 4 - If you want synths, samples, etc., this is all you need. You could get a whole rack full of synth brains and not scratch the surface of what this program can do. Worth its weight in gold, the best soft synth on the market. - $399
  • UAD-1e Extreme Pack - Waves? What Waves? This is all the audio plugin software you need. The expensive Israeli plugins can't touch this stuff. - $1999
  • M-Audio Axiom 61 Controller Keyboard - The only MIDI controller you'll need. - $299
  • DDrum Trigger Kit - Drum triggers. Your drummer will learn to love them, hopefully. - $219
  • Drumagog - Industry standard drum replacement software. - $269
  • Steven Slate Drums - Use with Drumagog. Make happy drum sounds! - $329
  • Melodyne - Use it to tune vocals, bass, guitar solos, etc. - $249
  • Presonus HP4 Headphone Amp with Sennheiser Headphones - 4 sets of decent cans and a great powered headphone splitter. - $199
  • Apple Mac Pro 8 Core with 4 500 gig HDs, more - Dominate the world with this supercomputer. - $6349
  • Apple 30" Cinema HD Display - The best display on the market - $1794
  • Studio RTA Producer's Station Desk - More room and rackspace than you'll need. It even comes with rack screws - tons of them - this is the desk I use myself. - $499
Total damage: $22354

Of course you'll also need mic stands, cables, etc., but that's easy enough, and I highly recommend Planet Waves for all your cable needs. Happy shopping! :kickass::headbang:

I have to admit that if I saw a price tag like that, or thought that I'd be doing audio work that required eight fucking processors, I'd run pretty quickly.

Jeff

# Apple Mac Pro 8 Core with 4 500 gig HDs, more - Dominate the world with this supercomputer. - $6349
# Apple 30" Cinema HD Display - The best display on the market - $1794

LOL ridiculously expensive!

Hahahahahahahahaha Kazrog you look like such a chick in your pic :lol: Mostly the incredibly strait Morticia Adams-esque hair, I daresay :D

...hmmm i wonder what would happen if i completely covered myself with bacon and walked into that cage full of rottweilers...

lol, this thread is incredible, i had a ball reading it...
The dude hasn't even replied, but everyone kept adding their $0.02c and it has culminated into a gold mine.

I wouldn't spend that kind of money on a display, I'd just go for something nice off Newegg...

Jeff

Yeah, but you can't spend much less than $1300 these days if you want to get a 30" LCD monitor, and nobody comes close to Apple's quality. It's worth the little extra money to get something massively better. Besides, my list is still way under their budget, and it's pretty much a dream rig.

Eh, I totally disagree - I don't play games or do any kind of visual work on my computer screen, so as long as it doesn't hurt my eyes, that's all I really care - and I do NOT need 30", better to get two smaller monitors :)