ALL the guitarists! READ THIS PLEASE!!

Wurdulakfan

Oct 7, 2002
Visit site
Hailzzz bro's worldwide!

I play guitar eversince jan'97. (classic guitar)

but now I want to buy an electric one!

But wich one?

I'm looking for a guitar with a sharp and killing sound.

I dont like those full and warm sounds like the Ibanez, but more like bc rich or something.

can anybody give me any advice?!?!?!?

thanx a lot!!!

Hmm...but you could easilly tweak the sound with some EQ...

I'd say you need play some different axes and decide what you like. I would highly recommend a Jackson. =) They have a neck profile that feels great, IMO.

If you like super thin necks, Ibanez is probably the way to go. Gibson/Epiphones are on the other end of the spectrum, with necks that usually are fatter.

If you're really concerned about the natural sound of the guitar, you should do some research on bodywood. A mahogany guitar generally sounds warm, since the wood lets through more lows and less highs. If you're after a bright, cutting sound, you'd probably be best off going for an ash or maple bodied guitar.

Some info on guitar woods:
http://www.warmoth.com/common/goodwood.htm

The pickups will also color the sound somewhat. People will usually replace the stock pickups with 3rd party replacements that is more to their liking. Check out Seymor Duncan, DiMarzio and EMG - those three are the biggest and they can cater to your every need.
http://www.seymourduncan.com/website/products.shtml
http://www.dimarzio.com/
http://www.emgpickups.com/index1.html

I've mostly been using EMG pickups (models 81 & 85) because of their high output (creates a lot of distortion in a good amp) and their tight low end. If I want to change the color of the sound, I just dial away on the EQ until I like it.

For the more affordable models, BC Riches seem to be ok...their agathis bodies really have a different sound...

I prefer the fatness of a Gibson, unless I'm doing clean stuff...then Fenders are neat. But I hate them distorted. Single Coils drive me nuts when theyre overdriven.

My Korean Dean V is awesome. The stock pickups were pretty damn loud, and abrasive. Cheap guitar too-$320 w/hardshell from Musician's Friend. I'd recommend that guitar to anyone.

Jackson/Charvel rox cuz they have many different models with different setups. Their diversity is really cool, so you'd likely have the best luck finding one of their products that suits you.

As far as my experience goes with electric guitars, Ibanez seem to be the best for a very low price, they also, however have a generally low action and a very thin neck, so its easier to play, yet less worth your while practicing for the same reason. However I also love the sound their standard humbuckers bring along with them. It generally all depends on what kind of sound you want. If you want the serious badass Van Halen sound, go with Peavey, his custom... For a dream theater sound, go with Ernie Ball, Metallica, go with gibson... Really, just play it before you buy it and make sure it has the right crunch for you. Good Luck and Rock On

Go to a good shop, play every brand without prejudice and find one that to you feels nice. There'll be one guitar that'll be the one, and that's the one you need to walk home with. Me, I quite like ibanez' but some of the necks are very thin, how much are you looking to spend? For a decent amount of money I reckon Jackson, BCRich or Ibanez will serve well. PRS/Gibson is silly money while strats and fender aren't exactly known for their quality control and you really have to play a load before you find one that's nice.

Just my .000000002p

Originally posted by 7 Dying Trees
Go to a good shop, play every brand without prejudice and find one that to you feels nice. There'll be one guitar that'll be the one, and that's the one you need to walk home with. Me, I quite like ibanez' but some of the necks are very thin, how much are you looking to spend? For a decent amount of money I reckon Jackson, BCRich or Ibanez will serve well. PRS/Gibson is silly money while strats and fender aren't exactly known for their quality control and you really have to play a load before you find one that's nice.

Just my .000000002p

Great advice. I think it's important to know how much you plan to spend though.

For instance, the Kramer Barettas at MusicYo.com are great guitars from all the people I've heard, except that for the price, you really need to spend some time with a proper setup... but they're neckthru and well made for under $300.

Carvin is also a great option... so many to choose from, depends on what features your looking for...

But in the end, it should be the guitar that just feels "right"... and the only way you can find that is by trying out EVERYTHING you can get your hands on.