All tutorial requests HERE

I think that's because SO MUCH MORE of a good vocal track is the original performance, and I personally feel just about powerless with a bad vocal track.

Jeff

Thanks for the advice man. I guess the thing I am most interested in is the post-processing aspect.

For example, in the killswitch multitrack from the rock band rips thread, if you listen to the clean vocals solod, it sounds like there is SOOO much delay on it, but then when you hear it with the music, it is a lot more subtle. It just makes his already huge voice gigantic sounding. I can't figure out how to make that happen on my own tracks.

The list updated with reamping guide by Daunt and the vocal tips I wrote few posts ago

Maybe you should try to list it like

I dislike that kind of listing when there are not that many entries in the list

[UEAK]Clowd;7538789 said:
Thanks for the advice man. I guess the thing I am most interested in is the post-processing aspect.

For example, in the killswitch multitrack from the rock band rips thread, if you listen to the clean vocals solod, it sounds like there is SOOO much delay on it, but then when you hear it with the music, it is a lot more subtle. It just makes his already huge voice gigantic sounding. I can't figure out how to make that happen on my own tracks.

Thanks for the PM, I got the clip. The clip seems to have three layers. The original voice, a hall reverb, three (i think) repeats of delays with little to no feedback and a lot of compression. For example TC M350 (costs about $200) has this program called "Triplet Delay" that does about that when you tap it to the tempo of the song, and if you use the other it to the "TC Classic Hall" reverb, you should have somewhat of a similiar sound (for the effects department that is; that trick wont make you sound like Howard). Then the idea is just to make the wall of sound from all the other instruments so huge that it just blends in. The coolest thing about the M350 is that you can use and control it straight from Cubase

Thanks so much for this thread!

ahjteam Is there anything vst plug that comes close to the TC M350 hardware? I would rather not buy hardware but if nothing compares than I dont mind purchasing.

Thanks so much for this thread!

ahjteam Is there anything vst plug that comes close to the TC M350 hardware? I would rather not buy hardware but if nothing compares than I dont mind purchasing.

For the reverb: SIR impulse reverb actually sound even a bit better
For the delay: I don't know a free tap delay that sounds as magnificient D-two or even M350. If you know one, please tell me too :)

There are LOTS of resources on individual elements of a mix but I think a tutorial on simply putting it all together would be the most helpful. You can have a killer guitar sound or a killer drum sound but if you cant combine them you got nothing. Screenshots like kaomao and Bob have posted of their mix are very helpful but I think what'd be MORE helpful is progressive screenshots of the whole process, so we can see how/why you make certain decisions. Maybe if someone who usually makes killer mixes would do perhaps 30 mins a day on a certain mix for a week, and at the end of each 30 min segment say what they altered and why and post a clip. May be too much to ask but that'd rly help.

I'd like a good tutorial that deals just with mic placement. Cover things on angels, distance, different type of mics, proximity effect etc. Pictures do help, but you sometimes don't get a good feel for the actual distance.

I actually wouldn't mind a tutorial that dealt with routing the individual drum outs in samplers like EzD, AD, Superior 2.0 to individual audio tracks in Cubase/Nuendo. For some reason that's something I never came to grips with. I'd imagine it'd be a fairly easy tutorial to write up for someone who deals with drum programming regularly.

I actually wouldn't mind a tutorial that dealt with routing the individual drum outs in samplers like EzD, AD, Superior 2.0 to individual audio tracks in Cubase/Nuendo. For some reason that's something I never came to grips with. I'd imagine it'd be a fairly easy tutorial to write up for someone who deals with drum programming regularly.

i can't speak about the others, but to route the channels in ezdrummer to individual outs, you go into the EZD mixer and select "multichannel". from there, you select which of the 8 output channels you want each channel within EZD to output to...then when you pull up the cubase mixer or project window, you'll see each element of the kit going to the channel you told it do, at which point you can treat it like a regular audio channel as far as routing/VST's and all that go.

Most of those have those tutorials already and they are called user manuals, which are available either come as a physical booklet with the product or alternative you can most likely download them from the manufacturers website

Id be cool to do some pro tools tutorials if any one would want em

Yea i would love to learn some more tips and tricks inside protools. I know I'm really slacking with keyboard shortcuts and things that make editing go faster. So yea any protools tutorials would be huge!

Anyone who wants to sharpen up on Pro Tools, I bought Mitch Gallagher's "Pro Tools Clinic" when I first got my MBOX in summer '05, and it has a TON of really good tricks and shortcuts, and is way better written than the stupid official Digidesign coursework.

The best Pro Tools Tutorial Video list (I've seen them ALL!)

Free:
Record Ready Tutorial Series - These are awesome, I can't believe these are free
ProTools|Blog Tutorial Series - Good videos
The Sonic Valentine Pro Tools Tutorials - Funny stuff
DigiTV Accelerated videos - Essential, but less in depth than others
+ Tons of random ones on YouTube

Buy or subscribe to these, worth every $:
Pro Tools tips & Tricks Vol 1 - Essential
Pro Tools Tips & Tricks Vol 2 - Essential
Elastic Time In Action - Essential
Pro Tools Operator - Only if you've seen them all and are hardcore geeky like me
Pro Tools LE Essential Training - Essential
What's New in Pro Tools 7.4 - Essential

DO NOT waste your time and $ on these:
AskVideo Pro Tools series - A dissapointment
Grooveboxmusic Enter/Explore/Excel Pro Tools - These just aren't the same kind of quality that the HowAudio ones are, also the music they're working on is like elevator muzak.
Digital Music Doctor Pro Tools Series - worst of the worst

I think that's all of them.

hmmmpf.....
welll.......
errr....
sod it, ill do some anyway, what sort of thing would y'all want?

I'm all for pro tools tutorials too, but I'll hope for something I haven't seen before.

I don't need anymore tutorials on making new tracks or session templates or other mundane things like that.

Right now I'm busy making my own hotkeys for pro tools so maybe I could show how that's done.

hmmmpf.....
welll.......
errr....
sod it, ill do some anyway, what sort of thing would y'all want?

Mixing tips and tricks like shortcuts and just some good mixing tips to practice. I know i do things the long hard way with the mouse and i need to break my habits....

Also maybe some beat detective ones with metal!