All tutorial requests HERE

I personally would love to see a tutorial on prepping your mixes for mastering. Not so much mastering, but how to get your mixes prepped to be sent out to a professional mastering studio - including this newfangled thing I've heard a lot about lately - stems.

1) Make your mix sound awesome, do not leave something sounding unfinished so that "it can be fixed in the mastering", which is totally untrue to the boot. Fix all errors in the earliest stage possible
2) Leave a lot of headroom and keep the RMS quite dynamic, for example peaks at -3dbFS and RMS -18dbFS. Do NOT brickwall limit your mixes yourself, because the mastering guy most propably has better brickwall limiters than you
3) Ask your mastering house/engineer in what format they want their songs.
4) Do yourself a favor and do not ask to sound "louder than everybody else, and especially this one band next door" and ask to master the songs more dynamic. If you don't get why I adviced this now, you will get it when you are 30. Hopefully.

4) Do yourself a favor and do not ask to sound "louder than everybody else, and especially this one band next door" and ask to master the songs more dynamic. If you don't get why I adviced this now, you will get it when you are 30. Hopefully.

Haha believe me - this loudness war is driving me insane. I've always been a fan of more dynamics ever since the great Victor Wooten showed me the glory. The best advice I've ever gotten was "That notes you don't play are just as important if not more so than the notes you do play."

I would love to see an "Example-Workflow" (done with relatively good recordings - just to show a basic "walktrough").

For example:
Bring the kick up to "thisandthat"
Apply EQ hereandthere because of thisandthat
Apply Compression hereandthere with thesesettings because of thisandthat.
Then the snare, the rest of the drumkit, guitars, bass etc.
All the way through to the preparation for mastering.

Of course we all know the little steps, but I'm sure I would learn a lot by seeing other guys workflows.

I would love to see an "Example-Workflow" (done with relatively good recordings - just to show a basic "walktrough").

For example:
Bring the kick up to "thisandthat"
Apply EQ hereandthere because of thisandthat
Apply Compression hereandthere with thesesettings because of thisandthat.
Then the snare, the rest of the drumkit, guitars, bass etc.
All the way through to the preparation for mastering.

Of course we all know the little steps, but I'm sure I would learn a lot by seeing other guys workflows.

If we would do that, that would be the same than if we would just give our book of tricks and paychecks to you, but here are some tips for ya, the kinda way of approaching that I've used this several times:
- Try to record everything so that you should do minimal amount of editing and so that it sounds really amazing right out of the box when you press play after you've just recorded it
- When you are done recording, keep the mics in place and edit only minor errors to place, but do NOT edit all the "groove" to grid or it will have a high propability of sounding inhuman in a robotish way. If you there are big mistakes, do not edit; re-record. It saves _a lot_ of time that you use 5 minutes to re-record the perfect take compared to when you would have to spend 40 hours to edit it to sound the same from a steaming pile of shit.
- When you start mixing, turn everything down to silence and bring up the lead vocal track and make it sound stellar. I don't really care how you do it, just do. Nothing else really matters, they are just extra, but make sure that the lead vocal track is the thing you can hear in any enviroment possible from loud, quiet and noisy enviroment.
- Bring stuff up to taste, but leave out as much as possible. Even if you recorded 78 tracks of guitars, but if it sounds good already with just 2 tracks of guitars, leave it that way.
- Mix when sober

If we would do that, that would be the same than if we would just give our book of tricks and paychecks to you

Hey bro,

I know what you mean and thanks for your short "walkthrough" :D
But I never wanted this to be a "thanks for your advice, now I'm going to steal all your clients" or something like that.

I meant it the way an audio engineer would show a normal workflow to an apprentice. Just the very basics, no secret tricks or anything. Someone already did it or started it (was it Mendel?), but I always thought, that his walkthrough could be improved.

Whatever ... I guess you're right and there will never be a "Mixing Audio for Dummies"-Youtube-Video-Tutorial. And that's plain and simple because it CAN'T be done, right? :D

So ... nevermind ;)

it would be great (and if you do it with superior 2.0 it will be even better)

I just got the uuhhmm...."try out" version of superior 2.0 but the drum editor is completely messed up comparing with the drum map i get with dfhs.

Is there a drum map for superior 2.0 ?

And by the way, i can easy make a tutorial for both.

just need a good drummap for superior 2.0 cause the gm map sucks.

There are quite a few things that I wanted to add to that thread, but the list got too long and I figured I'd just do a whole new FAQ - hopefully I'll have time for a video, as well.

Jeff

Here's a big one that I just posted in the synth sound thread: I wish I could find a tutorial/book to tell me what all the common controls on most synths do :erk: (like the way I learned what "threshold," "ratio," "attack/release" etc. on a compressor do). Someone maybe wanna write one? :saint: