All tutorial requests HERE

how about a bass recording/mixing tutorial?

i esp. wonder whether you guys (esp. those who don't have access to ampeg heads and 810 cabs all day long :) ) just record a clean DI, process it to hell and back, maybe copy/paste, distort, and blend it in with the original DI, or reamp the clean DI out to an actual amp head, or even a POD/sansamp/whatever, and use that for the main sound, with the DI being just for the sake of easy tracking.
also, i wonder if there's similar stuff to SoloC/wagner and the likes for Bass, too?

also, what about recording the DI out of a bass amp head set to taste? would it have any advantages over processing the clean DI in the box? after all you're not going to get any speaker movement or cab sound anyway, just the bass signal processed by the filters/EQ of the bass head, right?

....veeery curious about this ;)

Well I've heard a lot about recording bass through DIs. I got a tip from Egan once that he records his bass split: one signal through a clean DI and the other through a Sansamp DI, with the sansamp you get the bass to mix in pretty well with the guitars, making the guitars sound bigger and no average listener ever acknowledges it is the bass that does that, not the guitars by itself.

I've been meaning to try the DI out of a bass head thing, but I couldn't manage to get a bass head and gave up. I currently have a bass v-amp but I read that thing brings too much noise for a recording situation, haven't tried it out in the studio yet. I say DI, and post-process it with something like Studiodevil VBA, the Ampeg plugin, podfarm, guitarrig etc.

I did record my band's Ep with my bass into a huge Ampeg rig the guy had at the studio and turned out pretty good, but not everyone has that possibility

During my recent discovery I really want to do a tutorial on the use of Tape Saturation and harmonic excitement (tube saturation) during the mixing process like how to use, it what sounds and coloration you are trying to achieve and just get an overall analog sound to a sterile digital mix, that is if anyone is interested.

During my recent discovery I really want to do a tutorial on the use of Tape Saturation and harmonic excitement (tube saturation) during the mixing process like how to use, it what sounds and coloration you are trying to achieve and just get an overall analog sound to a sterile digital mix, that is if anyone is interested.

That would be awesome mate, keen to learn.

Cool.:headbang:

the first part was sarcasm, because I don't think an analog sound needs to be saturated.

Very true, you don't need saturation, the idea behind analog emulation is to emulate the warmth, the depth and if applicable saturation. And from what I have read up I guess you can consider harmonic exciement as saturation becuase in a way you are distorting the order of harmonics in such a way that brings up the higher orders in volume to where they are heard. Though that is saturation, there is no clipping, limiting or compression.

So yes, you do not have to clip an alalog signal, however an analoge sound will have different tonal colorations that we know is a part of a good mix compared to the extremely clean digital sound, this is why big studios that use digital systems will bus outputs into tape as well as mixing down the entire song into a single master tape bus before saving it back to the digital realm. I will not be going over the art of using real tape and real tube gain stages, but emulators (plug-ins) to achieve similar "pro" results.

EDIT: So right now I am trying to record some tracks to make my tutorial, but I have had to get down and dirty with deleting XP service pack 3 and reinstalling some of my buggy audio drivers that got corrupted with service pack 3's epic failness. Once I get the tracks done, it sould only be a day away from being released hopefully. I will go over mixing, like eq compression and whatnot, using buses to separate tape emulated tracks to achieve different coloration, what types of colorations to look for for particular instruments, the harmonic content analysis of digital and analog and how to be sure it is there since it can be hard to hear even for pro producers and engineers, and then go into the premastering process of it (or at least the way I do it) involving the use of tape in parallel to mix the amount of coloration to the dry signal.

Very true, you don't need saturation, the idea behind analog emulation is to emulate the warmth, the depth and if applicable saturation. And from what I have read up I guess you can consider harmonic exciement as saturation becuase in a way you are distorting the order of harmonics in such a way that brings up the higher orders in volume to where they are heard. Though that is saturation, there is no clipping, limiting or compression.

So yes, you do not have to clip an alalog signal, however an analoge sound will have different tonal colorations that we know is a part of a good mix compared to the extremely clean digital sound, this is why big studios that use digital systems will bus outputs into tape as well as mixing down the entire song into a single master tape bus before saving it back to the digital realm. I will not be going over the art of using real tape and real tube gain stages, but emulators (plug-ins) to achieve similar "pro" results.

EDIT: So right now I am trying to record some tracks to make my tutorial, but I have had to get down and dirty with deleting XP service pack 3 and reinstalling some of my buggy audio drivers that got corrupted with service pack 3's epic failness. Once I get the tracks done, it sould only be a day away from being released hopefully. I will go over mixing, like eq compression and whatnot, using buses to separate tape emulated tracks to achieve different coloration, what types of colorations to look for for particular instruments, the harmonic content analysis of digital and analog and how to be sure it is there since it can be hard to hear even for pro producers and engineers, and then go into the premastering process of it (or at least the way I do it) involving the use of tape in parallel to mix the amount of coloration to the dry signal.

this sounds great man, can't wait to read it.

Well unfortunately after a 3 or 4 hour OS repair my DAW still does not work, which means I will have to reformat my Hard Drive. This means the turorial will have to wait for some time now, probably later in the week, at least for the sound samples. I could release the theory part of it without sound samples or screen shots and then add that when I have my computer working again, IF I have my comptuer working again. I find it quite sad that I paid good money (and I mean GOOD money) for my reocrding gear and this shit does not work. If I paid for it, I am entitled for what I bought to work, but aparently it doesn't work that way. Anyway enough of my bitching, expect some sort of written post tomorrow maybe, or monday.