All tutorial requests HERE

The MIDI Manual is a great book for learning about synthesis. We had to use it in my MIDI courses at school. I cannot remember if it goes over ADSR. I am pretty sure it goes over LFO, FM Synthesis and all of those goodies.

Here's a big one that I just posted in the synth sound thread: I wish I could find a tutorial/book to tell me what all the common controls on most synths do :erk: (like the way I learned what "threshold," "ratio," "attack/release" etc. on a compressor do). Someone maybe wanna write one? :saint:

synth1_v107.png

which knobs you don't get on that picture? and rtfm here

Thanks!

Also I would like a vocal mixing guide/tips&tricks. Perhaps some recomendations on good reverb/comp/saturation/delay for vocals and so on.

That all depends on the recorded track, vocalstyle, the voice of the singer and style of music, so there is no "this works for everything".

For melodic pop/rock/metal style vocals I personally usually use this "triple room" thing where I have two auxes, both 100% wet:
- hall style reverb (I love the "Concert Hall" preset on Yamaha SPX990)
- tap delay (I use the TC Electronic D-Two "Straight 2290 Delay" preset with feedback turned down to 33%)

Then I send the dry vocals to both and then I also send the delay to the same reverb to give it some more room. Then I level it so that you can't hear it in a dense mix, but if the guitars drop you can hear it quite well:

http://www.ahjteam.com/upload/vocaldelayexample.mp3

how about a bass recording/mixing tutorial?

i esp. wonder whether you guys (esp. those who don't have access to ampeg heads and 810 cabs all day long :) ) just record a clean DI, process it to hell and back, maybe copy/paste, distort, and blend it in with the original DI, or reamp the clean DI out to an actual amp head, or even a POD/sansamp/whatever, and use that for the main sound, with the DI being just for the sake of easy tracking.
also, i wonder if there's similar stuff to SoloC/wagner and the likes for Bass, too?

also, what about recording the DI out of a bass amp head set to taste? would it have any advantages over processing the clean DI in the box? after all you're not going to get any speaker movement or cab sound anyway, just the bass signal processed by the filters/EQ of the bass head, right?

....veeery curious about this ;)

This has actually been done in a few places. The Sansamp BDDI is pretty popular; I prefer to just use a RAT for grit and impulses to clean things up, and I may have dragged a few others to the dark side somehow...

Jeff

Well the 80s thrash metal sound had a few variants, one was the generic 80s gated reverb sound and the other one was the super dry slayer / master of puppets kinda sound. But they keypoints in the making them was pretty much the same what we do now adays: close micing, gating, eq, compression, reverb and sometimes even midi-drums on the side (eg. "...and justice for all") fom units like Alesis D4 on the side (altho D4 was released in 1991, so they used something else) that is nowadays replaced with Drumagog and alike.

Plz 2 tell moar! :hotjump:

I don't have a book reference at hand but I remember reading somewhere, that the boom started pretty much after Def Leppard released 'Hysteria' in 1987 (but started recording it as early as 1984) that had midi drums on it and it was phenomenal sounding at the time. And then companies like ddrum, Roland, Yamaha and Alesis started to develop drum triggering products and audio to midi sound modules to be used with drum triggers.

edit: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hysteria_(Def_Leppard_album)

On December 31, 1984, drummer Rick Allen's Corvette flipped off a country road, severing his left arm. Following the accident, the band stood by Allen's decision to return to the drum kit with one arm, using a combination electronic/acoustic kit with a set of footpedals that triggered via MIDI the hits he would have played with his left arm. The band slowly soldiered on until Mutt Lange made a surprise return a year later, and Rick mastered his customised drum kit.