Always remember to mix with your screen turned off

You have a dick filled with pig fat.

tohb01.jpg

No. You have it wrong, and Tim did fall for it - we ALL fall for it, it's a result of the physiology of the human body. He's always ALWAYS doing BAH. Even when the image is him doing FAH. Yet when he's doing FAH visually, we hear FAH. You can prove this by looking away whilst he's doing it - you'll suddenly hear BAH again.

doh! ...they got me! o_O

drew_drummer, I have a new dick quote for my sig haha.
Back On Topic:
Interesting theme! I always wondered what the difference between listening with eyes open/closed really would be, now I have my proof!

The amount of times you will be mixing and looking at someone's mouth in your life will be minimal.
Interesting phenomena but I don't think it has any relevance to mixing.

When I'm trying to listen closely to something in order to make judgments on the overall color and spectral balance in particular, I always look away from the screen and even close my eyes a lot of the time, because the unnecessary visual stimuli of the waveform, or the cursor, or whatever else, has a very definite negative impact on my ability to make good decisions. That said, despite the fact that visual stimuli does play a role in mixing audio, I think your statement is still 100% correct, as the McGurk effect seems to only describe the interaction between hearing and vision specifically in speech perception, not any or all audio in general.

When I'm trying to listen closely to something in order to make judgments on the overall color and spectral balance in particular, I always look away from the screen and even close my eyes a lot of the time, because the unnecessary visual stimuli of the waveform, or the cursor, or whatever else, has a very definite negative impact on my ability to make good decisions. That said, despite the fact that visual stimuli does play a role in mixing audio, I think your statement is still 100% correct, as the McGurk effect seems to only describe the interaction between hearing and vision specifically in speech perception, not any or all audio in general.

I agree with you. Visuals definitely effect what we hear, film directors understand the opposite is also true.
It is very easy to temporarily trick yourself into hearing things. Hearing a subtle eq change when turning knobs and later realizing it's bypassed. Fiddling with a compressor on a channel that's muted. When you're oversaturated this starts happening repeatedly.
Closing your eyes seems to help focus on sound, could still be a trick though.
If you play an instrument you can probably more easily hear it or actively focus on it while listening to a song. When I started playing bass I definitely started noticing it in songs, but it seems to have evened out now that I'm more familiar with many instruments.

It is very easy to temporarily trick yourself into hearing things. Hearing a subtle eq change when turning knobs and later realizing it's bypassed. Fiddling with a compressor on a channel that's muted. When you're oversaturated this starts happening repeatedly.

Yeah, I admit this happens to me from time to time. Makes me feel like an idiot, every time. :lol: