Am I the only one who still likes Cradle of Filth

Crypticbass

New Metal Member
Jul 24, 2002
NW Indiana/Chicago
crypticvisions.com
I'm still kind of new to being online , hell I'm in mt late twenties and I just got a computer. But I was curious as to why theres such a huge backlash against Cradle of Filth. I always thought they were an exetremely creative band both musically and lyrically. I'm noy whining or anything , if you don't like it you don't like it. But I've seen this kind of sentiment before with bands that start to sell some records , look at Dream Theater. Anyway I was just curious.

Personally I don't think they are selling out, just that they are now the black metal entry level band. How can you describe anything like that as commercial I don't know...

Anyway, they should be coming out with an album soonish, so...

Besides, cradle of filth have always used their image as a large selling point (well, it's certainly not the guitar sound...)

CoF is definitely considered one of the Black Metal entry level bands (along with Dimmu Borgir and a few others). I don't have a problem with CoF. Personally, I'd rather listen to Emperor, Burzum, Aborym, etc., but CoF serves it's purpose. I think there is a general lack of enthusiasm for modern CoF because of their popularity, but also because they are becoming less "black metal" sounding. They are not as fast and twisted as they used to be. Anyway, as I'm sure everybody has noticed, any band that changes very much throughout their career better not do it in a commercial direction, or they'll lose a lot of their hardcore fans.

You should try posting this thread at the "General Music Discussion" forum. You'll get a lot more response.

Originally posted by Crypticbass
I'm still kind of new to being online , hell I'm in mt late twenties and I just got a computer. But I was curious as to why theres such a huge backlash against Cradle of Filth. I always thought they were an exetremely creative band both musically and lyrically. I'm noy whining or anything , if you don't like it you don't like it. But I've seen this kind of sentiment before with bands that start to sell some records , look at Dream Theater. Anyway I was just curious.

Well, CoF are now seen as too mainstream for some of the underground fans. It doesn't help that you see a lot of kids online saying "I'm into crazy shit like Slipknot, Disturbed and Cradle Of Filth". I think they just represent the embodiment of everything that "True" Black Metal fans hate; they're funny, they don't take themselves too seriously, they have good production values, they use keyboards and have melodic elements, they seem to court the mainstream fans, they're on a major label, and above all, their records sell comparitive shitloads.

The black metal purests despise cradle because:
a) They have the talent
b) Cradle are intelligent enough to use a keyboard.
c) Not all the parts to Cradle's songs blur out and are so fast that you can't hear any notes
d) They can afford good production
e) People acctually spend money an buy cradle's records.

and most of all CRADLE DOESN"T SOUND LIKE EVERY BLACK METAL BAND THAT ALL SOUND PRETTY MUCH THE SAME.
Besides to get technical they aren't even really black metal.
Dissection is the only good band in the whole black metal bullshit.

A more appropriate name for black metal would be "evil pop punk" Since this is the musicians forum, I think other people here would be intelligent enough to get that.
Not a good enough percent of metal has quality musicianship. Say for instance Jazz has quality musicanship which im well aware of, but I don't like it.. It's just preference. I'd rather listen to say slayer, because although slayer isn't too complicated i can listen to it. You can hear the notes in slayer at least. The point of my rant is in the end most metal isn't complicated but feel is a big thing. What is the point of listening to shitty produced music that you can not hear notes and changes because the guitars sound like fucking wind.
Bad Production + Excessive Speed +
LAck of Talent = Black Metal or a genre or a bunch of shitty bands that sound the same.

Of course there are always exception...I just feel this could describe 99.9% of the genre. Anything 'black metal' that is good the purists will sya it isn't black metal anyways.
Too keep it simple black metal sucks.
A similar argument can be stated for most grindcore.
Fuck you to all the Black metal unevolved primitive cavemen! LOL
Damn i feel stupid for typing this much.
Classical music and REAL QUALITY METAL is my preference.

I think that all the posts sum up to the same thing. COF isn't a "true" black metal band; they never really wanted to be purists. COF is extreme gothic metal. If you think about it, they are the exact same and the exact opposite of Type O Negative at the same time. They are the same in the atmospheric, gothic, brooding sound they create; only COF's sound is about 100 bpm faster than Type O. Peter Steele's voice is slow and deep, while Dani's is a high-pitched shriek a million miles an hour. They are both bands of the same genre, only completely opposite ends of the spectrum of that genre. Personally, I think the last decent album from Type O was October Rust in '96. Everything after that has been garbage, and they have never really been a talented band...they just create interesting music.

Another point that has to be brought up is that different people listen to different music. To the layman, it all might sound the same, but there are stark differences between the types of metal out there. Some people like speed metal, melodic death metal, death metal, grindcore, black metal, power metal, symphonic metal, etc. Personally, I prefer speed, thrash, and melodic black metal like At the Gates, Soilwork, Arch Enemy, and In Flames. I also listen to some black metal, but my focus mainly stays on the "entry level" black metal bands like Dimmu and Cradle. I do like Emperor, however, and Zyclon kills! I don't limit myself to just those types of metal, either. I listen to all types of metal, hell just all types of music, no matter what. I found myself listening to gay 80's hair metal the other day...Bonfire and Whitesnake. Quite a contrast from nowadays. It doesn't matter what you listen to...as long as you like it

Originally posted by SADUDE
b) Cradle are intelligent enough to use a keyboard.

every metal band that has a permanent keyboarder in its band has to be shot immediately. dont get me wrong, nothing against an additional keyboard on a few songs sometimes but just look at all these crap new italian powermetal bands... brrrrrrrr....

i personally dont like black metal so i dont listen to CoF but i've heard the reason that most people who play guitar hate CoF cos they nick iron maiden riffs and just make am faster and more black metal.

I dont think you can sell out by getting signed to a major record company, but i think as soon as you get on MTV or a lot of annoying kids wear the bands shirt, that is selling out. I dont really like CoF because i cant stand listening to a guy sing like a little girl.

every metal band that has a permanent keyboarder in its band has to be shot immediately. dont get me wrong, nothing against an additional keyboard on a few songs sometimes but just look at all these crap new italian powermetal bands... brrrrrrrr....

i personally dont like black metal so i dont listen to CoF but i've heard the reason that most people who play guitar hate CoF cos they nick iron maiden riffs and just make am faster and more black metal.

To this, i find thsi statement to be false. Have you ever listened to CoB or Kalmah? they both have permanent keyboardists and they sound great. the keyboardists can harmonize with the lead guitar and still have a great sound. And it also takes talent to be able to play that fast.

Originally posted by Metal is Religion
I dont think you can sell out by getting signed to a major record company, but i think as soon as you get on MTV or a lot of annoying kids wear the bands shirt, that is selling out. I dont really like CoF because i cant stand listening to a guy sing like a little girl.

Personally, I think that's bullshit. A band is a sellout because more people start to like their music? Which is something they have no control over in the first place. How did you come to that conclusion