...Am i the ONLY one?

Ra-kot

Nov 17, 2002
Visit site
...who thinks that "Damnation" is actually the BEST albom of opeth. I have each albom of opeth and i 've been listening to them for quite a while already. "Damnation" took a while to get used to, but today i must admit that its the best and most listenable albom of opeth. I know there are lots of headbang people here who cant get along with a mellow albom, but to get straight- its an amazingly beautiful albom and really shines above any other they made. A classic. My opinion of course.

Depends your mood...if you're sad and stuff, or just feel like listening to something mellow then yeah, it's their best. If not, then no it isn't their 'best', just one of the best...if that makes sense.

I find Damnation to be their most boring album. Only when I'm in that very specific mood do I find listening to it as entertaining.

Deliverance however, is the polar opposite. I have to try hard to find reasons NOT to listen to it. It's freaking addictive, from the very begining all the way to the end. :headbang:

Have you noticed that To Rid the Disease is made up of only 4 riffs? And what is it? Over 6 minutes long? That means each riff in total loops over a minute. THIS is the trend that Damnation follows, and THIS is why alot of people don't think its their best album.

Moonlapse said:
Have you noticed that To Rid the Disease is made up of only 4 riffs? And what is it? Over 6 minutes long? That means each riff in total loops over a minute. THIS is the trend that Damnation follows, and THIS is why alot of people don't think its their best album.
funny thing is, if people read that before hearing the song, they are gonna be biased and probably won't like it as much. To Rid the Disease is one of my all time favorite Opeth songs, yet I never really noticed that (or cared to notice.)

It's my least favourite Opeth album, easily. Windowpane is a good song, Ending Credits is alright and so is Hope Leaves. That's only when i'm in the right mood though.
And i'm not one who has to be listening to headbanging music all the time; i'm actually quite enjoying listening to Brahms lately, so it's not that it's not heavy. It's just that i personally find it boring.

I actually love Damnation. It has easily got to be the heaviest, yet progressive acoustic album that I have ever heard from any band period. However, I cannot say that it is their best. I leave that privilege to Your Arms, My Hearse. Maybe I am alone on that one, but hearing that album for the first time, and even today just blows me away, especially when you look at it from a music theory or contrapuntal perspective.

Yeah the last Deliverance riff is stretched way out beyond proportions. There isn't anything overly interesting about it if you're a Meshuggah fan like myself. It's in 4/4 timing isnt it? And one chord (well excluding of course the lead part).

Also for Damnation I think it would've been better had they gone the way of Mordet i Grottan, and had repetition, but not to the ludicrous extent that some of the tracks on Damnation did. I still preffer Mordet i Grottan over all of Damnation (spose that's partially coz im in love with the solo, haha).

It's not the best, it's not the worst, it's just different.

I think all of their albums kick insane loads of ass - there isn't a bad one in the bunch, so use of the word "worst" is out of the question. But some of them differ greatly and all should be appreciated as "insane assload-kicking" works of art.

:D

Moonlapse said:
Yeah the last Deliverance riff is stretched way out beyond proportions. There isn't anything overly interesting about it if you're a Meshuggah fan like myself. It's in 4/4 timing isnt it? And one chord (well excluding of course the lead part).

Also for Damnation I think it would've been better had they gone the way of Mordet i Grottan, and had repetition, but not to the ludicrous extent that some of the tracks on Damnation did. I still preffer Mordet i Grottan over all of Damnation (spose that's partially coz im in love with the solo, haha).
So music isn't cool unless it's in some crazy ass time signature?

Damnation is an incredible album. But to try and compare it to the rest of Opeth's catalogue is just silly, apples and oranges.