Am I the only one...

Nico

Onward!
Oct 21, 2003
War for Territory
...who hated the soft parts of Opeth when they first heard it? Lots of people here mention that Opeth was the first band they listened to with growling, and that they hated it at first. When I first heard Opeth (The Moor), I thought they were a bunch of soft-cock-rockers for putting in melodic, accoustic interludes. Defeated the purpose of death metal in my mind.

So the question is: how many of you listened to extreme metal before you found Opeth? And did anyone else think at first it was a bit limp of them to put in slow, mellow bits?

Slayer, Dark Tranquility, In Flames, Morbid Angel, Tool (Not metal, but still...), Death, Arch Enemy...

No, i love Opeth's "quiet" sequences. Always did and always will.

I can't really remember specifically which bands I was listening to when I got into Opeth, but they were one of the first extreme metal bands I heard at least. I wasn't really put off with their soft side seeing as To Bid You Farewell was the first song I heard and Black Rose Immortal the second. :)
I was probably listening to Arch Enemy too like Gin.

I was listening to anathema and my dying bride so the mellow parts had thier places i thought, i listened to emperor and immortal in the black metal stakes a bit of dimmu borgir as well but didnt really like them they were hard out all the time and i mwas almost to extreme for me (well that is the purpose of blak metal right?) so Opeths accoustic parts were great.

Aye, I'd been listening to Deicide, Cannibal Corpse, Deeds of Flesh, etc. for some time before I heard of Opeth, and so the mellow bits realy made me think "what the fuck is the point of death metal if its got all these pussy bits in there?".

Themoor666 said:
I loved the soft parts in opeth the first time I heard them and if you still hate the soft parts then you are a douchebag..... sorry
ShroudOfDusk said:
And did anyone else think at first it was a bit limp of them to put in slow, mellow bits?

ShroudOfDusk said:
"what the fuck is the point of death metal if its got all these pussy bits in there?".
:lol: :lol:

I had listened to many so called extreme metal bands before opeth but i didnt mind the soft parts. the only thing that irrritated me at first was their avarage songlength...

No, both the heavy and soft parts struck me really well.

It was the earlier songs' lack of production quality that bothered me at first... made them sound more dry, to me. The song I listened to after "The Drapery Falls" (my first) was "Advent", so I was kinda stumped.

Aye, I heard Still Life first, as mentioned, and I didnt care much for it. Then the same mate showed me Morningrise... told me the production wasnt as good, but I never heard the difference... I was so fucking blown away by Advent. Still my favorite song to this day.

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
:lol: :lol:

I had listened to many so called extreme metal bands before opeth but i didnt mind the soft parts. the only thing that irrritated me at first was their avarage songlength...
That is exactly one of the reasons why i love Opeth

[KOTNO]Narrot said:
i never cared for production issues....
Well... the thing with "The Drapery Falls" that struck me, was that the guitars during the heavy parts, you could almost HEAR them just being absolutely shredded... and then the soft parts sounded so distant and cut-off, I loved it. The production was so well-done there... that I was struck by how damped (can't think of a good word) "Advent" sounded.

I got over the shock quickly though... I think "Advent" fuckin rocks.

And something else I thought of... the death growl on "The Drapery Falls" sounded so cool, but it was so high-pitched on "Advent", it threw me off a bit.

xxChaoticManifestoxx said:
haha...when I first listened to Opeth I approached the band at a new point of view with no judgement of classification. I just grew to love the band as it was.
As did I.

Opeth was my first "extreme" band. When I discovered Opeth I was listening to shit... nu metal, pop-punk, you know, bands like System of a Down, Linkin Park, etc.

I got fed up with the same, re-hashed shit over and over again so I decided to branch out.

I bought Sill Life and right when I got home i threw away my shit CD's and started my collection over.

Yeah, I had been listening to Extreme Metal, a lot of Death Metal, before I heard Opeth. Bands like Death,Morbid Angel, Gorguts, Obituary, Carcass, Pestilence,Entombed-first 2 albums, the list can go on and on.....

I wasn't put off by the acoustic and softparts when I first heard Opeth.(orchid/morningrise being the first albums i heard)

I grew up listening to metal bands that had some acoustic guitar parts, and I always liked that. Bands like Black Sabbath, Iron Maiden did little acoustic/electric transitions and a bunch of Thrash bands had some acoustic parts too that I enjoyed, Annhilator - Crystal Ann(acoustic intro)

So when I heard Opeth for the first time, it seemed to "Sum Up" everything I have grown to love about heavy metal music. All my Favorite Metal elements where there: Acoustic/Electric Guitar Transitions, Lead Guitar/Solos, the richness of the twin guitar harmonies(i know they don't care for it anymore), double bass drumming, death growls, fast old school sounding death metal riffs and the overall epic feel of the albums.

It kept me listening, and I have been a fan for some years now.

mysweetdeath said:
As did I.

Opeth was my first "extreme" band. When I discovered Opeth I was listening to shit... nu metal, pop-punk, you know, bands like System of a Down, Linkin Park, etc.

I got fed up with the same, re-hashed shit over and over again so I decided to branch out.

I bought Sill Life and right when I got home i threw away my shit CD's and started my collection over.

that was a good first extreme band to listen to. :headbang: