Am I the only one...

the first album i listened to was still life and wasnt so sure about the death growls at first but loved the soft parts,now i find it hard to listen to damnation too much because i think the death vocals go hand-in-hand with the soft parts,i love the death vocals now

when i first heard Opeth i didn't quite like the soft parts, but i didn't like the heavy parts either. i gave the album (Blackwater Park) a few months and then i listened to it and wondered how i could have been so stupid.

before Opeth i listened to Slayer, Metallica, and nu-metal. after Opeth i started listening to Hate Eternal, Strapping Young Lad, and Nile, and then i got into all sorts of metal (death, black, and otherwise) and hardcore and grind.

so i can safely say Opeth is the band that got me into metal in the first place :worship:

The mellow segments of Opeth created an atmosphere no other band really had at the moment. It was a welcomed change from the monotonous "pure brutality" songs by Cannibal Corpse, Malevolent Creation, etc. I'm unable to see how using an acoustic guitar or clean tone defeats the purpose of death metal. They aimed at creating extreme metal with interludes of calmness within the chaos. It worked.

osse87 said:
When I first heard Opeth I couldn't stand the heavy parts... :S
Yes yes, I know. This has been brought up countless times. But thats the point of this thread, for those who werent introduced to extreme metal by Opeth.

And for everyone's clarification, no, I no longer think the soft parts are limp or pussy. It didnt take long, and I wouldn't have been listening to them for the past year and a half if I hadn't liked them.

alan3827 said:
)

So when I heard Opeth for the first time, it seemed to "Sum Up" everything I have grown to love about heavy metal music. All my Favorite Metal elements where there: Acoustic/Electric Guitar Transitions, Lead Guitar/Solos, the richness of the twin guitar harmonies(i know they don't care for it anymore), double bass drumming, death growls, fast old school sounding death metal riffs and the overall epic feel of the albums.

It kept me listening, and I have been a fan for some years now.

Well said. I think death metal has grown up to a certain extent and so have the generation who originally followed it. Listening to Opeth exploring music outside the typical relms of death is both interesting and exciting. Death metal has for so long been portrayed as meathead music. And Opeth is a test to just how fucking talented and inovative the death/metal scene can be.

mysweetdeath said:
As did I.

Opeth was my first "extreme" band. When I discovered Opeth I was listening to shit... nu metal, pop-punk, you know, bands like System of a Down, Linkin Park, etc.

I got fed up with the same, re-hashed shit over and over again so I decided to branch out.

I bought Sill Life and right when I got home i threw away my shit CD's and started my collection over.

System of a down rocks!!!!
I'm sorry if it doesn't fit into "extreme whatever" but you cannot deny especially, Serj Tankian's talent, the lyrics and vocals are one of the most amazing I've ever heard.......Opeth is my all time favourite and it always will be, but the fact that i like them is not cos they are a death metal band, but because they simply make great and complete music and cos I admire talent.
System of a down is NOT the same as "Licking" park! :puke:

O_P_E_T_H said:
Well said. I think death metal has grown up to a certain extent and so have the generation who originally followed it. Listening to Opeth exploring music outside the typical relms of death is both interesting and exciting. Death metal has for so long been portrayed as meathead music. And Opeth is a test to just how fucking talented and inovative the death/metal scene can be.

Well said guys!!

I listened to black metal mostly, not even that much death metal...The first time I EVER heard Opeth, was when I bought Morningrise and Deliverance...Listened to them both and liked Deliverance better the first time...Then I listened to them again, and loved Morningrise...But to answer your question.No, neither the heavy nor the soft parts have ever bothered me..

I started out with Bathory, then to bands like Hyprocsy, then Black metal like Desire, but I have to say Opeth takes the cake for trying something new-and working it to their best. Its payed off. Just like it did for Bathory when I started listening to them 15 years ago. Its not something you can hate, or you just aren't interested in them as much as you say you are.

I liked em' the normal way. Soft parts, and the growls after repeated listens that is.

Before I started listening to Opeth, I listened to Dark Tranquillity, Katatonia, Metallica, Hypocrisy, Iced Earth, At the Gates and Blind Guardian, so, obviously, I found all the parts equally appealing. It was simply perfect.

Oh, the first album I got was Morningrise, by the way, shortly followed by Still Life and Blackwater Park.

Opeth are Opeth and that is all anyone needs to know. To classify them is wrong. they are not conventional death metal. I agree with sonnenritter.

I have only been listening to metal again for the last 2 years after a LONG break. In my teen years (12-16) i listened to Death, Nocturnus, Morbid Angel, Kreator etc. I had only discovered Opeth a year ago (I am now 29) and i think the acoustic mellow parts compliment each song perfectly...like the calm before the storm. Its so good that this band are doing something progressive.