Amazing jazz albums

0.jpg

New EST to be released soon. It has already leaked. Esbjorn Svensson came back from the dead to record this.

no prob, i've likewise been real occupied of late. i've heard some other jazz messengers stuff but it didn't really kick out that jams on quite that same level. my pops is a big hard-bop fan so i'm gonna hit him up for some recs but i'd be interested to hear if you know anything else that's quite so, uh, metal!

Cthulu, it sounds like most 60's Blue Note jazz. Try checking out Miles' 2nd quintet, particularly Sorcerer, or some Wayne Shorter albums from the 60's. Probably check out Coltrane's stuff too but stick to everything pre-Sun Ship. If it's the drumming, you're sure to dig on Tony Williams and Elvin Jones who play in those ensembles. If I ever find the time, Ill try to post some examples.

It's really awesome how they assume jazz fans and other music fans are so oblivious to each other. I was introduced to jazz by a damn punk drummer.

i think the article assumes that if you are a jazz fan first then chances are you will not like other types of music ... so how the heck can someone that likes Metal possibly be introduced to Jazz ...
what I am reading into that is that Jazz fans are closed minded?

like I said this thread needs to be linked in their comments.
doomcifer will be famous and probably knighted for his efforts.

Which is funny, because I guarantee 90 percent of the modern jazz fanbase started in different musical types. And there seems an underlying assumption that jazz fans would almost inherently not be fans of other music genres (you know, aside from classical o course).

Let Ken ride forth and reign fire upon the heathens with his swanky jazz axe.

we should link the Audiophile thread as well ... their heads will explode.

i dig jazz and am a fan ... but overall it's not something I reach out for.
its background music for me ... i dig it live more so than on a recording and have seen many a jazz gigs ... during my single drain my sorrows in bars days.

Most of my jazz friends came from, and generally reside within, other genres. I was formally introduced to it by a roots rock friend, whom I was playing Meshuggah for at the time.

I'm pretty sure that jazz snobbery towers far above other genre nazis though. Some of those types quite literally frighten my feminine sensibilities to the core. Granted, I've seen more of that from the Safe Sax categories, but still.

The later half of that article is spot on. You guys are referencing the first half which has too many variables. He doesn't exactly keep a linear thought process.

we should link the Audiophile thread as well ... their heads will explode.

:lol:

i dig jazz and am a fan ... but overall it's not something I reach out for.
its background music for me ... i dig it live more so than on a recording and have seen many a jazz gigs ... during my single drain my sorrows in bars days.

are you speaking of actual real jazz or that garbage background lounge music you hear at restaurants, functions, weddings, and such?

True, live jazz is captivating.

yeah real jazz ... the stuff with no patterns, just loud brass and bass instruments.