American political bands

Heh. Thanks for answering and thanks for simplifying for an unfair question.

For Metgadeth, am I correct in hearing Dave say "If there's a new way, I'll be the first in line. It better work this time."? I think that's a brilliant line. I hope I'm hearing it correctly.

Fuþorc: How did this song convince you to vote for Dubya? I don't see it.

I really like Megadeth's lyrics. When they do make a political point, I usually think it's a good one. It helps that they're such a great band.

Suicidal Tendencies don't seem to much like censorship either. They throw some good political observations in their lyrics, too.

How about this,

Gwar (anti-decency)
SOAD (liberal like Europe)
:]

Eternal Throne: So I've read. I try not to support that type of message. I'm a big fan of equality and integration. This topic already has its own thread though, eh?

FailingAcension: Why do you think that NOFX are idiots? I'm not much of a fan, but they never struck me as stupid... just soft.

There's a bunch of punk and hardcore bands who are political. Bad Brains (Soul Brains), Aus Rotten, Propagandhi and Dillinger Four come to mind.

Well, Anti-Flag comes to mind too, but, like NOFX, I consider them to be soft.
-------
I was looking into the rock scene in Lebanon and I found a band with a song about the armenian genocide. There was an mp3 and I downloaded it and couldn't wait. I was so sure that it was gonna be profound somehow because of their point of view. It wasn't, though. It was soft rock all the way through. The lyrics tried to paint a picture, but the music had nothing to back it up.

I read someone's beef with Zach de la Roacha recently which complained that by his songs all sounding the same, he was treating all of these issues the same. My point is that meaningful lyrics without meaningful music don't mean shit to me.

Also, while I'm ranting, I was listening to an interview with Ziggy Marley recently and he was asked to respond to criticism that his lyrics are too political and not personal enough. He said that to him, politics are personal.

Fuþorc: How did this song convince you to vote for Dubya? I don't see it.

To answer this question I'll put the chorus out for you in quotes. I'll have a certain phase Bold for you.

F is for fighting, R is for Red for Ancestors Blood In battles they've shed E we elect them, E we eject them, The land of the free and the home of the brave. D, for your dying, O you're overture, and M is for cover your grave with Manure. This spells Freedom and it means nothing to me As long as there's a P.M.R.C.

PMRC stands for People's Moral Resource Committee. This group pushed for Censorship in the 1980's and many Heavy Metal bands like W.A.S.P, Overkill, Twisted Sister, etc. And even some rock bands like AC/DC, came under fire from this group. PMRC pushed for actual censorship, not the bleeping of words, but the rewriting of lyrics and making these artist write what PMRC wanted them to write. And guess who the starter of this little group was? None other then Tipper Gore. That's right, Big Liberal, Al Gore's Wife. This is one of the reasons I didn't vote for that asshole in the last election. He is the reason we have Parental Advisory Labels to begin with.

Well, NOFX music is alright to me, but their views are stupid IMO, and their views are not...logical in the least to anyone! They have NO common sense. But its okay....I listen to Cryptopsy when I wanna hear about politics.

Thanks for the correction, Snow.

I'm old enough to remember the PMRC. I was a big Twisted Sister fan at the time. I had forgotten about Big Gay Al's hand in that mess. Thanks for the explanation.

Maybe NOFX is stupid. Maybe I just didn't notice.

Cryptopsy is from Canada, eh? I've heard alot of good things about them, but I haven't given them a good listen yet. I think I'll do that now. :]

Politically, I've been branded a nihilist and I tend to agree...if there really is such a thing. ;] Could y'all suggest any US or Canadian bands into that stuff?

As I think about it, the PMRC was a blatantly right wing organization.

How about American bands who focus on history. Does anyone know of any?

Metallica's ..And Justice is VERY politically charged.. I mean, while Disposable Heroes (from Puppets) and One are very much anti war songs - Metallica's politics go deeper than that.. Eye Of The Beholder, for instance.. While this is thrash metal - and you don't have to take everything seriously here, still, it has lines like: "freedom of choice that they will make for you, freedom of words that they will bend, freedom with their exception.." The song ...And Justice For All is also very much political.. They were very much liberal - but not pussy liberal..

Pantera, I think, were more of a Conservative-type (they had the old Confederate flag on their concerts and shit..).. "black or white go to church to pray.. you question why they act this way.. it's their fucing decision" - this is from Heresy.. They weren't that much involved in politcs through their music, though, which is good, I guess.. Phil Anselmo was almost a skinhead before starting a musical career - so I guess it's good that he gave that up :).

Testament is kinda political.. Practice What You Preach - I'm not sure whether they meant it directly, but it's very much applicable today with all the religious hypocricy (child molestation scandals and suicide bombings..)..

Oh yeah, the Dixie Chicks are political, too :). riiiight..

Darkest Hour. Their new album Hidden Hands of a Sadist Nation deals a lot with the gun culture in America.
Racism is not much of a political statement, no one takes it seriuosly.

mwahahah system of a down? hmmm i think they are ..they used to be one of my fave bands..when i first got into metal..then..i dunno