circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Amon Amarth – Fate of Norns
Metal Blade Records – September 7th, 2004
By Jason Jordan

amon.jpg

I’m baffled by those who don’t find redeeming qualities within the outings of Amon Amarth. I know the whole fire and brimstone motif is severely exhausted, but the band’s penchant for developing quality Viking metal is deftly astute.

“An Ancient Sign of Coming Storm” features myriad exemplifications of everything Amon Amarth brings to the table with their releases: wall-of-drums sound, engaging riffs, gruff vocals, and arresting guitar melodies. All the musicians mesh very well on Fate of Norns, and the production lends polish to the group’s opus. “Where Death Seems to Dwell” continues with an average pace. Nothing special is readily heard here. “The Fate of Norns”, however, recovers to successfully grip attention with competent riffage and interesting rhythmical variations courtesy of Andersson (drums). “The Pursuit of Vikings” is a mildly enjoyable tune, as is “Valkyries Ride”. “Once Sealed in Blood” completes the forty-minute record, and serves as an inventive climax. Eight tracks may seem short, but – like I mentioned earlier – the record reaches the typical time mark rather nonchalantly.

Amon Amarth aren’t really doing anything highly original, but their albums demand a look just because they’re captivating. I easily recommended Versus the World; I feel the exact same way about Fate of Norns. It’s not going to blow you away or anything of the sort. But, it’s most assuredly worth a glimpse based on the band’s musical prowess and subsequent inspired songwriting.

8/10

Official Amon Amarth website
Official Metal Blade Records website

I really like Fate of Norns after hearing a few songs. I agree completely with the review.. its not mind-blowing, but its great stuff.

I find this to be my favorite album followed by Vs. the World. I bought it on a whim because i had no idea it was even out and simply saw it when i was browsing vintage vinyl...was happily suprised. It may not be the best in viking metal, and it may not be amazing, but its refreshing to hear something done this well in the genre without resorting to Vintersorg like complexity.

Eh, what can I say. I don't have a very decent connection. It's not like I can sit on a filesharing network all day downloading all these new releases just to see if they're to my liking or not. I was basically saying that with all the negative and average reviews I've read of this album, I still haven't decided if I want to spend my time online (which I don't have much of) downloading it or even checking out samples. It's just not that important of an album to me.

Amon Amarth have never really been one of those bands that grabbed my attention. I have however heard The Avenger and thought it was a pretty good album. Still, most of the time (since I don't live with my rich parents who pay for a cable or DSL connection like 90% of the people on this board) if I want to hear something new, I end up having to buy the CD or get it burnt from my friend who does the metal show in my city. My time online and my funds are slim. Again, I can't just download this in a half hour and decide if I wanna buy it or not. If I do spend my time downloading something, it's something that I'm really into or something that was highly recommended to me. Fair enough?

Chasm said:
Eh, what can I say. I don't have a very decent connection. It's not like I can sit on a filesharing network all day downloading all these new releases just to see if they're to my liking or not. I was basically saying that with all the negative and average reviews I've read of this album, I still haven't decided if I want to spend my time online (which I don't have much of) downloading it or even checking out samples. It's just not that important of an album to me.

Amon Amarth have never really been one of those bands that grabbed my attention. I have however heard The Avenger and thought it was a pretty good album. Still, most of the time (since I don't live with my rich parents who pay for a cable or DSL connection like 90% of the people on this board) if I want to hear something new, I end up having to buy the CD or get it burnt from my friend who does the metal show in my city. My time online and my funds are slim. Again, I can't just download this in a half hour and decide if I wanna buy it or not. If I do spend my time downloading something, it's something that I'm really into or something that was highly recommended to me. Fair enough?

I know the feeling man. I've got the good, old dial-up connection too. Unless I go out to school, and use the high-speed there. But, again, that's not conducive to downloading stuff because I'd have to transfer it in one way or another. I'm usually pretty selective with what I download as well.