Amon Amarth vs. Bolt Thrower

which one?

• Total voters
JayKeeley said:
I want to change my vote. I'm going with BT now.

Personally, I'm just not keen to hear the next AA album whereas I can't wait for the new BT album now...

I was pretty disappointed, though not surprised, with their latest; they sound uninspired and almost all momentum present on the older records is gone, there are no blazing guitars or wonderful musical shifts any more. It's an even slower VS the World with less interesting songs. It just gives a tired sort of impression :|

Bolt Thrower on the other hand has grown on me, I didn't think much of them a couple of year ago but after spinning Warmaster a few times latetly I want more.

Yeah, I don't mind AA churning out the same album each time, but they should at least keep the quality consistent.

The last Bolt Thrower album was fantastic ("7th Offensive" is phenomenal), and I think their next one is going to be fantastic. Just grinding tank metal against human skulls while blasting the enemy into disintegrated dust.

For the life of me, I cannot get into post-Avenger AA other than a few select songs. The ass kickery is gone, replaced by "here we are again" metal.

While no BT album can beat Sorrow Throughout or Once Sent, they are the more consistent band, and FOr Victory wipes the snot out of post-Avenger material.

Amon Amarth. Bolt Thrower is pretty good, but nothing special for me, though Warhammer 40k is the shit. By contrast, Amon Amarth has a bunch of good, solid melodic death metal (as opposed to melodeath which sucks the cock) and a handful of utterly fucking awesome songs.

WAR TO US IS HOLY! WE SACRIFICE OUR BLOOD! SACRIFICE! SACRIFICE! SACRIFICE! SACRIFIIIIIIIIIIICE!

Crimson Velvet said:
They have a more distinct sound and style, and Bolt Thrower is just another death metal band...

No other Death Metal bands write songs about Warhammer 40,000 and use the artwork in their albums :cool:

I can't find the thread on the new Bolt Thrower so this one will do....anyway, I like it, but I can't help but think that they might have OVERDONE it on the groove.

Songs like "The Killchain" and "Granite Wall" are so f'ing groovy....you almost wonder if some homo started rapping over this, you'd end up in nuMetal territory. :erk:

Now take a song like "Those Once Local", crank the volume up to 11, and LET IT CRUSH YOU INTO DUST. So fucken heavy.

Reactions: ~Neurotica
I still enjoy their first few albums too. After that it's basically just the same album again and again.

Last edited:
Yea Idk, may make for an interesting 2021 round table discussion if everyone is willing to partake in a comparitive wknd analysis.

Im bias against AA as my dearest friend ClimbThar almost got bludgeoned by two Amarthians who started grinding on his backside in a failed attempt to clear their fore in order to have clearance to fist pump their Century Media Viking Mugs. For this alone I hold bias, not to mention all their mediocre melo drab in the second half of their catalogue is akin to listening to Christina Scabbia take a bloody shit.

Bolt Thrower is Law.

I loves me the AA ep and 1st two albums. After that....hit and miss, mostly miss, but With Oden on Our Side is peachy.

BT remained solid all the way through, with their last one being one of their best.

i like and respect bolt thrower but i'm just so, so rarely in the mood for meat'n'taters death metal