Amon Armath & Sabaton Fall tour

strange routing and markets here,but cool these markets are getting a show like this
Oct. 21 - Chattanooga, TN @ Track 29
Oct. 22 - Knoxville, TN @ Bijou Theater
Oct. 24 - Charlotte, NC @ The Fillmore
Oct. 25 - Jacksonville, FL @ Freebird
Oct. 26 - Birmingham, AL @ Iron City
It's a B-market tour, Amon Amarth already did an A-market headlining tour this past Spring. They did this for "Surtur Rising" as well and while I can only speak to shows around here, they still packed in a lot of people for the Riverside show on the first night of the tour. Sabaton definitely helped, as they had an enthusiastic contingent of fans, and more people than I expected were into both Sabaton and Amon Amarth.

As great of a live band as Amon Amarth is, they're getting kind of lazy with their setlists and completely ignored their first three albums on this touring cycle. I can appreciate promoting their newest album and playing their best known songs, but out of a 17 song set they couldn't throw in one deep cut? C'mon guys.

I saw the show in Birmingham last night. Very entertaining.

I primarily went for Sabaton although, being my fourth time, I expected nothing new. Just more of the same awesomeness! They did not disappoint and it was clear a significant number of people in Alabama were already fans based on their reception.

Not being a black metal fan, I debated even getting to the venue in time to see Skeletonwitch. Fortunately, I caught their entire set and managed to do it stage-side. Their singer was absent due to a family issue. I seriously hate that for him and wish he and his family all of the best in that regards. Still, it worked out well for me. The rest of the band played their music sans vocals and it was amazing. Very much a thrash sound and they really demonstrated their musician chops. Lively and impressive, Skeletonwitch held its own on the card quite well.

Amon Amarth lacked the energy of Skeletonwitch and Sabaton but made up for it with ponderous brutality and Viking vigor. They seemed to have a good time even if they were slightly bemused by the unlikely hearty welcome they received in the American Bible Belt. Nor did the band stint on music during this tour. Seventeen songs in all with no significant breaks. Glad I got to see them in action.

I had never been to Iron City. It is a very well laid out venue. The stage is sufficiently high enough to see from the pit (so long as Andre the Giant does not stand in front of you) and there is an elevated standing area behind it that is still plenty close enough to the stage. Along the walls are tables and chairs and there is also a loft area that has (mostly) good views of the stage and additional seating. If chairs are desired, you still might wish to get there early. First come, first served, or so it appeared.

The sound was excellent to my untrained ear and there were no problems with distortion despite the loud volume.

:yow: