among the living bass sound??

Blitzer

New Metal Member
Jun 4, 2006
I want to know how to make bass sound like among the living album? it tell me Frank Bello use ESP guitar and Mashall Amp but I don't know serie of ESP. I want to know that what is serie of ESP that he use in this album? what effect he use? he use pick when playing? and I like sound of Caught in a mosh when intro. please tell me detail of his bass guitar sound.
thank you:kickass:

I always thought he played through Fender, but maybe I'm wrong. He almost always plays with his fingers, watch the NFV video and you never see him with a pick (except one song). He can gallop like a madman. I'm a long time bass player and I wish my fingers moved that fast.

Really, it has more to do with your "attack" then it does your gear. It might say Frank was using an ESP - but God only knows the modifications that were put in to it. Artist will receive instruments from dealers for free, may even get paid a little to endorse the product, may have a signature series... but the one they play on stage every night is not the one that you are going to buy from the store. They are free to change the pickups and whatever else they want as long as that headstock still says "Fender" or "Jackson."

Anyway, back to the question! Frank has a wicked attack. He almost always plays with his fingers, but he plays HARD. He slams on the strings. That is step one to getting that clackity sound you hear on ATL. Having a Bass with a Precission pickup helps. Play over top the pickups with your fingers. Having an amp with an EQ helps a little, as you can adjust your mids just so to achieve that style of sound. Not much los or his but lots of mids.

So, turn up the precision, drop the pick, and beat those strings like a red headed step kid with lots of mids!

p.s. Depending on how desperate you are, Frank's signature bass achieves this sound right out of the box. The pickups on that thing are LOUD and very HOT. And it is a very solid instrument for the money.