Amp advice...

GeertSamuel

Jan 29, 2006
Nieuw-Buinen, The Netherlands
I'm not a good guitar player, but I need this for reamping (mostly metal/rock!) and stuff.
I just got a Fender Bandmaster (1968!!!!). Things works really good, but only needs some new tubes. I can't sell this baby so selling it and buying another head is not an option.
I'm actually looking for the best way to get this.

So there are several option:
- get a good pedal or something else for the Fender to get to the metal sound
- actually just buy another amp (but I don't want to spend more then 600 euro's!!)...

Just curious for your opinions, and maybe advice on pedals / fx / amps whatever..

I have a Kool & Elfring custom cab 1x12 V30 in it, bought it last month..

Looking forward for the replies..

Geez. A bandmaster for metal?
It may be possible, but I would imagine it would take a lot of work!

I don't really have many tips except try to crank your volume and use a pedal?

I would think some kind of preamp (whether it be pedal, pod, or rack) would be your best bet - I don't know dick about distortion pedals (cuz I've always been an amp distortion guy), but those Damage Control pedals always looked pretty cool, and when I saw Katatonia live, they were using them to pretty good effect

For that price, I'd look for a used Peavey Ultra Plus head, with som eluck you could even find a used 5150 head or combo, or a smaller Engl (Screamer etc).
I'd lurk around ebay.
PS: watch out for impedance and wattage if you go for a head, you don't want to blow your brand new V30....

does the amp have an fx loop? my guess would be no for an old fender like that, but ya never know

while it would be a great amp to have...that amp is definitely not the best choice for metal tones

Yeah Id find a boss Metal Zone or a Heavy Metal pedal, It wont sound like Fear Factory or Devil Driver with that amp, probably more like Converge or but hey thats cool, they have some pretty unique sounds. Back in the day I used a Boss Metal Zone infront of a gallien Kruger bass head and I coaxed out a fair amount of decent and listenable.

turn that motherfucker to ten and run it through a greenback 4x12 cab, tubescreamer to taste.
its an ab763 circuit which is what jim marshall was trying to do when he invented the marshall head

totally do-able

900 posts!
BTW, before every tom, dick and harry starts jumping my shit. I have a 68 fender deluxe reverb and have done it, so bite me.

every amp you love is directly or indirectly a bastard son of a fender amp.

No, you wont get hatebreed out of it, but something usable

Well saying that there's a comparison between a Recto and a Fender amp is like saying there's a similarity between Vital Remains and The Beatles. Yes, the latter influenced the former, but saying "indirectly" would be the understatement of the year.

Well saying that there's a comparison between a Recto and a Fender amp is like saying there's a similarity between Vital Remains and The Beatles. Yes, the latter influenced the former, but saying "indirectly" would be the understatement of the year.

Dude, a recto is based on a Fender amp. Put it in clean mode and it is a Fender.

yea but the first boogies (technically speaking modded princeton combo amps which became the mark i) are not the rectifier. first boogies were in early 70's. recots were early 90's you are talking about a 20 year gap of mark i - mark iv

if you're on a budget check out the peavey windsor. its cheap as hell and sounds pretty heavy. after i get a cheap ass ada mp1 i may havet o get that head to just have since its only a couple hundred. dauntless used one on his recordings and it had us scratching our heads it soundd like fucking van halens holy grail amp. ask oznimbus i think he got a windsor.

Ok first things that I'm gonna try..
• Borrow TS from a friend and lets see what it can do
• Get a 2nd hand boss hm-2 heavy metal to test that tone or lend from a friend

Other options
• Try getting a Savage 60 for like 500-600 euro's! (i deff am interested in that)
• Or test a Peavey Windsor - Anybody that has samples of that amp?!

Thanks guys for all your replies, helps me a lot as pretty much an amp n00b...:worship:

Search for "windsor," you'll find a pretty massive pair of threads by Oznimbus with sound samples and praise

Well the HM-2 pedal is FUCKING nice for swedisch metaltones and grind kinda stuff but i don't know if you would like that for docile ;)
You can here it on the drdoom recordings btw, and it should work cool with fender bandmaster..

But your best bet would be a used 70/80's marschall jcm 800 lead series, which if you are lucky you can pick up for around 600 euro's.
Or something like a sovtek mig. (which are awesome too)