Amp sims.

JoshuaHornerline

New Metal Member
Aug 19, 2011
Tulsa, OK.
I'm really interested in buying a new amp sim. I dunno, POD farm just doesn't sound... real enough for me. I feel it lacks in some feautures that other amp VST's have. I really would like to find something a little more "real" sounding.

I'm kinda interested in Amplitube metal pack. What do you guys thnk of it? Or is there another amp sim that sounds better?

Use the free ones, they're great. If you feel like tweaking a bit, Revalver is really good too but might not be worth paying for considering how good the free stuff has gotten. Check out Lepou (his IR launcher, LeCab, is REALLY useful) and Onqel's stuff first.

Yeah man, I've checked them out. It's still not what I'm looking for. I guess I'm just pretty picky about tone. Then again, nothing can beat a real Mesa Boogie or Peavey haha.

What are you aiming for? If you need something "real" sounding and what is (usually, YMMV) considered the realest sounding (btw Pod Farm would have to be the less real-sounding of the bunch) didn't appeal much to you, only option remains to get a real setup.

I definitely want to get as close to a real amp as possible but without spending thousands of dollars. As I don't have enough money to do so. Definitely, pod farm is not the greatest. I've tried the free version of Amplitube 3. I like it, but I'm nervous to spend $100 for the metal pack. Which is what I want.

Check LeCto. Depending on the quality of your DI's, you will get pretty close. I recommend God's Cab as an impulse library. Text me already!

I really would like to find something a little more "real" sounding.

TBH, does not exist. AxeFX is probably the closest thing, which is why it's thousands of dollars.

LePou's stuff is seriously the closest you're gonna get, and I say that not having used any POD product for quite a while myself.

The only other device I can even think of at this point (and you're better of just going the real amp route for this much cash) is the Eleven rack. Roughly 900 usd and probably cheaper used. My brother in law uses one and I must say it isnt bad, at least live through a cab and a tube power amp.

I agree with the guys who mentioned Lecto. Results obtained by clips I heard done with Lecto and good Impulses are yet to be beaten by other (paid) ampsims to be honest. Just listen to some clips done by (e.g.) Mago from this forum (have to really sharpen your tweaking skills though). If that isn't convincing enough, you should go for a real setup I think. As for AxeFx, I never found it to be sounding that much better (especially considering the price), to me it's 'just' a hardware box that can do the impulse thing (does a good job at that though, and at convenience).

I definitely want to get as close to a real amp as possible but without spending thousands of dollars.

Peavey 6505 1x12" combo = $600
(if you want to change the speaker to Celestion Vintage 30 = $130)
SM57 = $100

total $700/$830

And those are brand new prices. Go to Craigslist and you can get them way cheaper. And you can find the Bugera 6262's (Peavey 5150 clones) for dirt cheap used

Also the Bugera Trirec (Mesa Recto clone) and Magician (Mesa Mark 4 clone) will be hitting stores in November according to their youtube-channel.

Also Amplitube 3 is modular now, you can download and try out all the amps in the shop (I think it was 7 days?) before buying.

Last edited by a moderator:
If you don't like the sound of ampsims, then at least go get a cheap, used preamp...ADA MP-1 is a monster (and my long time favorite), and run it through cabinet impulses.

Peavey 6505 1x12" combo = $600
(if you want to change the speaker to Celestion Vintage 30 = $130)
SM57 = $100

total $700/$830

And those are brand new prices. Go to Craigslist and you can get them way cheaper. And you can find the Bugera 6262's (Peavey 5150 clones) for dirt cheap used

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uBFqo_kYcQo

Holy faack dude. Yes, I love that Bugera. In all honesty, I might be saving up for a real amp. I hate amp sims. How is the Peavey 6505 1X12" combo? Even though it doesn't have a cab could you still put that thing on a EP? I love the Peavey 6505+ stack. I work like 3 hours out of the 2 days I work. They fuck me over on hours. If I can find a nice tube amp with a cab and head for a good price, I'd buy it.

If you haven't gotten satisfactory results from all of the free sims floating around here then you may be out of luck as far as sims go.

+1 dude.... i own amplitube metal and honestly i end up using the free sims like lepous, and onqels stuff way more! Its all about technique man... using impulses, blending impulses and carefully eq the guitar tracks to make them sound decent.

I've tried the free version of Amplitube 3. I like it, but I'm nervous to spend $100 for the metal pack. Which is what I want.
Skip the metal pack. Just get the free Amplitube 3, the 5150 (Metal Lead V) model, one of the Recto models (Metal Lead T), a Tube Screamer pedal model and try out the T-Rex Möller as well, the Metal T1 cabinet and you're good to go. Should sum up to way less than $100.

Holy faack dude. Yes, I love that Bugera. In all honesty, I might be saving up for a real amp. I hate amp sims. How is the Peavey 6505 1X12" combo? Even though it doesn't have a cab could you still put that thing on a EP? I love the Peavey 6505+ stack. I work like 3 hours out of the 2 days I work. They fuck me over on hours. If I can find a nice tube amp with a cab and head for a good price, I'd buy it.
Bugera 6260 head = EUR 300 ($400?). I have it, it rocks (tone-wise)
Peavey 6505 112 combo = EUR 550 ($600?). Same as the 6505 head, just built in the far east.