Amplitube

NathanSoulfracture

myspace.com/soulfracture
Aug 26, 2004
www.soulfracture.co.uk
Does anyone have any decent amplitube presets that dont make the guitar sound like they dont fit in the mix? i always seem to have this problem using amplitube where the guitars dont seem to fit in the mix unless im using drum samples that sound like a triggered drum kit e.g. Raymond from FF and Vinnie Paul. and i dont want to use those kind of samples since ive got DFH and i want a realistic drum sound. or if you have any suggestions of other amp modelling programs that work like amplitube but sound better, and before some of you ask, im using amplitube because its the only thing i can use which gives off a half decent sound, ive only got a 10 watt practice amp :oops: for my guitar since im a bass player and i spent my money on a decent bass amp instead.

Hopkins-WitchfinderGeneral said:
Same kinda thing but made but Native Instruments.

Yeah, I've tried amplitube, NI guitar rig ,green amp machine (something like that) and Warp VST.

I prefer NI guitar Rig ...but its kind of hiss esp when I try to "reamp" the guitar parts.. Never tried playing real-time with this software yet..so I cant comment much ..yet :)

Wadi said:
Yeah, I've tried amplitube, NI guitar rig ,green amp machine (something like that) and Warp VST.

Never liked Amplitube, Warp and SimulaAnalog JCM900 work best for me for now. Damn, I can't use Guitar Rig with my Duron 900MHz since it doesn't have SSE instructions. :yell:

hi there; long time lurker, first time poster... anyway:
Amplitube has an awful lot of variables to select through, and in my experience presets have to be tailored for a particular guitar; some of my presets sound great on one of my guitars, but really terrible on another. Try to set it up from scratch, if possible, and use the EQ's, both amp and post. Every heavy amplitube preset I've ever heard has had too much Mids in it, at least for my guitar. Experimentation is key.
Having said that, there is a trick that I've been guilty of using in the past that could be considered "cheating", but we all get lazy sometimes. Find a song with a guitar sound that you really like in it, and find a part that's at least a few seconds long where there's just guitar- no bass, drums, or vox. This can be hard sometimes, so dig through your CD library. Get a WAV file of just this part and save it somewhere. Now, in Amplitube, try to match up your guitar sound to that WAV as best you can, which won't be that close since, let's face it, Amplitube is a neat effect but not a guitar amplifier. Next, download the demo of Voxengo's CurveEQ and insert that after Amplitube. What you'll do is load up the WAV of the guitar sound you want into Curve EQ and match the frequency response to that of your guitar sound. Curve EQ shows you a frequency response graph- take a screencap of this, or write down where you need to cut and boost and by how much (you need to get a screengrab or write it down because the CurveEQ demo inserts silence every few seconds). Then get rid of CurveEQ, load up your favorite EQ plugin, and imitate the frequency response you just wrote down. Obviously you'll need to tweak it some, but this method at least suggests where your frequency problems lie.
I imagine this method would completely horrify any seasoned studio pro :eek:, and clearly it has problems considering that most guitar sounds are comprised of two or more different guitars and amps, but if you're totally stuck and can't get a decent sound, it can serve as a guideline. Unorthodox, yes, but using a program as an amplifier requires unorthodox methods.

A Gruesome Discovery said:
hi there; long time lurker, first time poster... anyway:
Amplitube has an awful lot of variables to select through, and in my experience presets have to be tailored for a particular guitar; some of my presets sound great on one of my guitars, but really terrible on another. Try to set it up from scratch, if possible, and use the EQ's, both amp and post. Every heavy amplitube preset I've ever heard has had too much Mids in it, at least for my guitar. Experimentation is key.
Having said that, there is a trick that I've been guilty of using in the past that could be considered "cheating", but we all get lazy sometimes. Find a song with a guitar sound that you really like in it, and find a part that's at least a few seconds long where there's just guitar- no bass, drums, or vox. This can be hard sometimes, so dig through your CD library. Get a WAV file of just this part and save it somewhere. Now, in Amplitube, try to match up your guitar sound to that WAV as best you can, which won't be that close since, let's face it, Amplitube is a neat effect but not a guitar amplifier. Next, download the demo of Voxengo's CurveEQ and insert that after Amplitube. What you'll do is load up the WAV of the guitar sound you want into Curve EQ and match the frequency response to that of your guitar sound. Curve EQ shows you a frequency response graph- take a screencap of this, or write down where you need to cut and boost and by how much (you need to get a screengrab or write it down because the CurveEQ demo inserts silence every few seconds). Then get rid of CurveEQ, load up your favorite EQ plugin, and imitate the frequency response you just wrote down. Obviously you'll need to tweak it some, but this method at least suggests where your frequency problems lie.
I imagine this method would completely horrify any seasoned studio pro :eek:, and clearly it has problems considering that most guitar sounds are comprised of two or more different guitars and amps, but if you're totally stuck and can't get a decent sound, it can serve as a guideline. Unorthodox, yes, but using a program as an amplifier requires unorthodox methods.

i tried using that method a few weeks ago but it didnt seem to work, thanks anyway.

i tried laoding up guitar rig into cubase and i keep getting a runtime error message, anyone knows whats up? all my other plug-ins work fine.

Amplitube has an awful lot of variables to select through, and in my experience presets have to be tailored for a particular guitar; some of my presets sound great on one of my guitars, but really terrible on another.

Dunno, Amplitube sounds the same with every preset it has and it has a characteristic in its tone I can't stand... :err:

SickBoy said:
Dunno, Amplitube sounds the same with every preset it has and it has a characteristic in its tone I can't stand... :err:
Oh, the presets it ships with are rubbish. Can't disagree there, i mean just dial up the "Want Metal" one and prepare to vomit. I was referring to some presets I've made, but even then Amplitube has to be part of a chain of FX or it sounds pretty bad (those tonal characteristics you speak of- I know exactly what you mean, and half the work in getting a usable sound is filtering them out with a seperate EQ). I usually have a UAD Channel Strip> Amplitube> UAD Pultec EQ > UAD 1176 configuration, and if everything fits together right I end up with something that almost sounds half as good as a decent amplifier.

I got a really good black metal guitar sound (mind you that's not really a compliment) with amplitube, but other than that I've found it pretty much useless for it's intended purpose. Anyone else found the gating on it to be terrible? Especially with palm muting. It goes "pffft shut" instead of just shutting, so you have to edit out all the pfffts. It sounds shite for feedback too.

The only thing I like it for is it's delay. Get some vocals going through it using amplitube as a send effect and it sounds great.

(those tonal characteristics you speak of- I know exactly what you mean, and half the work in getting a usable sound is filtering them out with a seperate EQ)

That's a damn lot of fuss for getting something usable, if you ask me...
I like SimulAnalog's JCM900 and Steinberg Warp cause they're very straightforward and do a decent job...