Amps that should be thrown out of the window.

They can be slightly flubby but with a TS in front they're plenty tight. Too much gain or bass will turn them to mud- even with bass around 9-10 o'clock they still have enough bass.

I haven't tryed it with a pedal since I'm kinda anti pedal hehe. I like to have the floor as clean as possible, only an amp, a speaker, a rack effect and one pedal-swither to control them all ;) Anyway I'm sure it's great for your taste of music, I actually used to worship those amps in the past when I was playing NU-metal, but I discovered the ENGL's and got into more thrash, speed and death metal for which the ENGL's are more suitable, at least to me.

They can be slightly flubby but with a TS in front they're plenty tight. Too much gain or bass will turn them to mud- even with bass around 9-10 o'clock they still have enough bass.

I haven't tryed it with a pedal since I'm kinda anti pedal hehe. I like to have the floor as clean as possible, only an amp, a speaker, a rack effect and one pedal-swither to control them all ;) Anyway I'm sure it's great for your taste of music, I actually used to worship those amps in the past when I was playing NU-metal, but I discovered the ENGL's and got into more thrash, speed and death metal for which the ENGL's are more suitable, at least to me.

The TS is for Tight the thing up, you dont need it in the floor, well maybe for cleans (if you use cleans)you need to switch it.

The mesas are one of the best an most responsive amp i ever played, and my style requieres a lot of picking, like you said, i never tried and engl, im sure they are great, but like in every amp you must to expend a lot of time tweaking, in my case it just took me 10 to find a great sound in the mesa, and by the way was a single rectifier.

The most overrated amp ive tried is the JSX, but i heard some great clips of it here, but at first play i liked more the B-52 AT100.

The most overrated amp ive tried is the JSX

wow...i played one of those ones, and fucking loved it - every tone i got out of the thing completely floored me

personally, i'd toss any solid-state marshall out the window without reservation

Ok, we've gone from amps that are "pure shit" as posted by the thread starter to amps that people think are "overrated". So I'm gonna list both.

Overrated Amps:

B-52's Whole Line - Worst tube amps I've ever played through.
Marshall Mode Four - Muddy, fuzzy, loud as fuck heap of shit.
Lee Jackson GP-1000 - Even though I own one, if you don't want a Children Of Bodom/Stone/Sinergy tone out of it, don't bother (these were/still are wanted a lot in Europe.)

Pure Shit Amps:

Anything Marshall without tubes in it - Solidstates suck.
Anything Crate - Nothing has ever sounded good from this manufacturer.
Anything H&K - See above.

I think a lot of the stuff other people have mentioned, and probably the stuff I've mentioned as well could all sound good if we knew how to tweak them right. I'm pretty sure all the Framus, Engl, Mesa, VHT, etc. stuff (really nice to most people) that everyone has mentioned could sound amazing if they dialled it in right. I'm with GuitarGodgt on this, I'm curious as to what cabs were you using, what didn't you like about the sound of that stuff?

People who are knocking amps that are priced at over a grand what cabs were you testing them with? Anything but v30 speakers and you should know better :lol:

I've tried the Single Rectifier recently with three different cabs, and only one sounded good. I tried the Rectifier standard which didn't sound good with that amp, I tried the Peavey XXX 412 and an ENGL standard. The ENGL sounded good with that one actually, because it was the least bright. I've tried the other amps at different occasions.

I'm used to play with the dual rectifier on the Revalver II plugin, I thought the Revalver sucked at first but then I tried one to compare and that amp really sounds that way. Thank god you can tweak internal amp settings in revalver :lol:

I have a JSX which I love, not quite as good as the ENGL Savage but it's close.

BTW for those people who don't think I can dial in an amp should know that I've been a soundengineerer for a few years, and a guitarist for over 10 years. Dialing in an amp is far easier then doing a comlete mix or miking a whole drumset. I'm not saying I'm a proffesional (whitch I'm not) but trust me I know what I'm doing.

This is a quote from a swedish studiomagazine where Fredrik "Fredman" Nordström (the god of metaltone in Sweden) talks about recording a great guitartone: "Alot of people speak good things about the Rectifier but I really don't understand those people". He also says that he sticks with the Savage and the 5150, but people are so crazy about the Savage so he mostly uses that one.

I guess it's all personal taste, but to me I'd easily have a Mesa, Framus, ENGL, etc. I'm sure with enough tweaking you could get most higher end amps to sound how you want them to.

Exactly.

ENGL = over-rated

& Mesa = NU metal? Get your ears cleaned out!

Ok smartass...Give me a preset for the Single or Dual Rectifier, tell me what gear or cab to use with it, and I'll go to the musicstore (which is nextdoor to my apartment) and tell you what I think. I promise to have an open mind and I will admit I'm wrong if I think it sounds good.

...I don't think you have the guts :heh:

BTW why are people so sensitive about their gear, especially guitarists. Can't people stand someone not liking their gear. I thought it was personal choice. I like chocolate, someone might prefer nachos. Some people even like haggis :lol:

I have the JSX, whitch I like. Someone here hated it...thats fine.

Ok smartass...Give me a preset for the Single or Dual Rectifier, tell me what gear or cab to use with it, and I'll go to the musicstore (which is nextdoor to my apartment) and tell you what I think. I promise to have an open mind and I will admit I'm wrong if I think it sounds good.

...I don't think you have the guts :heh:

BTW why are people so sensitive about their gear, especially guitarists. Can't people stand someone not liking their gear. I thought it was personal choice. I like chocolate, someone might prefer nachos. Some people even like haggis :lol:

I have the JSX, whitch I like. Someone here hated it...thats fine.

Ouch smartass ey?

Right simple, anything with v/30's that being an ENGL/Mesa/Framus cab or whatever. Mid 12 o clock, bass 10:30, treble 1 o clock, pres 1 o clock. Bold setting, Didoes if your cracking it. Red or orange channel on the Modern setting.

Dont have the guts? Fucking come on now....put a respectable OD pedal in front of the Mesa and you have fucking tone right there. Its got nothing to do with guts its a tried and tested amp and method a thousand times over. Im not protective of my gear...I said my last amp being a Marshall Mode 4 was a pile of wank and I openly admitted that. Which brings me onto your last comment...yes personal taste I love Mesa!

I tried a Powerball and it wasnt much better than my old mode 4.

And BTW this is all about the Dual ive never tried a single.

So dont start getting your knickers in a twist about it when I posted a small comment expressing what I think and you throw out a confrontational essay.

Now ask yourself whos being sensitive?

Ouch smartass ey?

Right simple, anything with v/30's that being an ENGL/Mesa/Framus cab or whatever. Mid 12 o clock, bass 10:30, treble 1 o clock, pres 1 o clock. Bold setting, Didoes if your cracking it. Red or orange channel on the Modern setting.

Dont have the guts? Fucking come on now....put a respectable OD pedal in front of the Mesa and you have fucking tone right there. Its got nothing to do with guts its a tried and tested amp and method a thousand times over. Im not protective of my gear...I said my last amp being a Marshall Mode 4 was a pile of wank and I openly admitted that. Which brings me onto your last comment...yes personal taste I love Mesa!

I tried a Powerball and it wasnt much better than my old mode 4.

And BTW this is all about the Dual ive never tried a single.

So dont start getting your knickers in a twist about it when I posted a small comment expressing what I think and you throw out a confrontational essay.

Now ask yourself whos being sensitive?

Hehe, ok! Store opens on monday, I'll give it a shot with a pedal then. (I had about the same settings) but I have to try the dual this time.
I'm not sensitive about the gear, but when people don't think I can dial in an amp I get pissed haha. :lol: What country are you from? The rectos are not as popular here in Sweden as for instance in the US. Anyway sorry about the smartass thing I didn't mean for you to get upset or anthing, it was a joke. :saint: