An evening of Pagan Folk Metal -- this is where we listen and drink beer together!!

JayKeeley said:
Well, no way is that Mexican going to be wearing size 13 sneakers I'll say that much. He might use one as a bed or something.

Doomcifer said:
Q4T

..or a raft.

yelrotflmao.gif

Haha, it seems I missed this thread and it certaintly deserves a bump --- too bad the YSI links are dead now ;|

Anyway, have anyone here heard the norweigan folkmetal act Myrkgrav? They've apparently received heaps of positive reviews and listening to the samples I think I can understand why. This is quite similar to both Lumsk and Asmegin but without the traditional instruments such as jew harps etc. Instead the folk music is seamlessy wowen into the metal fabric in a very adept way.
I also appreciate the regional approach of the whole project: "It [the debut record] features eleven Folkloristic Extreme Metal songs with a lyrical inspirational basis in old stories and tales from the Ringerike region of Norway, where Lars grew up."

Official Myrkgrav Website

The record Trollskau, Skrømt og Kølabrenning, which apperently means "Trollish Woods, Wraiths and Coalburning", also features a very nice cover:

trollskau_large.jpg

The way they do it with Seismic is, they have regulary scheduled shows, where different people will DJ for anywhere from one to two hours. People can stream the music down from the net, and at the same time discuss it in the chat room. So obviously, the DJ chooses what's played, but will often take requests from the chat room. And obviously, the shows tend to take on themes, depending on the DJ's personal tastes.

Zod

That is sick. :kickass:

Haha, it seems I missed this thread and it certaintly deserves a bump --- too bad the YSI links are dead now ;|

Anyway, have anyone here heard the norweigan folkmetal act Myrkgrav? They've apparently received heaps of positive reviews and listening to the samples I think I can understand why. This is quite similar to both Lumsk and Asmegin but without the traditional instruments such as jew harps etc. Instead the folk music is seamlessy wowen into the metal fabric in a very adept way.
I also appreciate the regional approach of the whole project: "It [the debut record] features eleven Folkloristic Extreme Metal songs with a lyrical inspirational basis in old stories and tales from the Ringerike region of Norway, where Lars grew up."

The record Trollskau, Skrømt og Kølabrenning, which apperently means "Trollish Woods, Wraiths and Coalburning", also features a very nice cover:

trollskau_large.jpg

:kickass:

trollskau_large.jpg

Fucking loving the samples on the site so far - awesomely atmospheric, but still ball-crunchingly metal.

awesomely atmospheric, but still ball-crunchingly metal.

Spot on :kickass:

I also randomly checked some of the bands which were linked on Myrkgravs page, and most of them seemed to be of rather solid quality. Can't recall which ones now since im not at the computer that I downloaded the songs to, cool vikingish stuff 'twas anyway

Kroda
Pagan Reign
Myrkgrav

hmm, havent bought this kinda stuff from new finds in a while.

my contribution: the new Lord Wind is awesome. new Graveland this month!

I just got my first Kroda CD (Firmament's Verge) a couple of days ago and I'm loving it (®). Their use of folk instruments is extremly talented and I think that is what really sets them apart. One of the better discoveries "I've" done in a while.

In other news I've been in a mood for pagan metal as of late and have thus ordered stuff by Hellveto, Temnozor, Dub Buk and Kroda/Velimor :kickass: