An interesting take on religious thought - written by me.

Yes, I am completely apathetic towards the existence of imaginary things. You are too.

That implies specific apathy, in reality mine is much more generalised.

I just don't care to think about the question because I know billions of people have and nobody is ever going to have any answers.

Could be, couldn't be, couldn't really say for sure.

Could give a fuck.

Öwen;9469181 said:
That implies specific apathy, in reality mine is much more generalised.

I just don't care to think about the question because I know billions of people have and nobody is ever going to have any answers.

Could be, couldn't be, couldn't really say for sure.

Could give a fuck.

Not trying to be antagonistic but I literally have no idea what you're trying to say there.

Yeah, to be honest I sort of lost where you were coming from a while ago and am probably just rambling.

No offense intended its just been that sort of day.

"What proof and evidence do you have that athiesm is accurate and correct?" - An idiot on youtube.

Öwen;9468582 said:
Doesn't seem like a stupid question to me. :)

It's an attempt to shift the burden of proof onto the atheists. Obviously, no one knows with absolute certainty if a god exists or not, regardless of whether or not they believe in one. There are also 100's of thousands of different gods people have believed in throughout history. So, in order for someone to present proof and evidence that atheism is accurate and correct, they would have to be able to disprove the existence of any and all possible concepts of god. :err:

One person may describe god as nature, or love, or Yahweh, or Allah, or roast beef, or Satan, or Joey Sturgis. Basically, each any every theist has a different concept of god. I don't know what everyone's concept of god is, therefore I can't provide proof that their god doesn't exist without first knowing how they describe god. The burden of proof should be one the person who makes the positive claim.

Why should there be a burden of proof at any rate, last I checked proving something to other people wasnt an obligation of believing in said something.

i said the person "making the positive claim" needs proof. if i claimed 100 million people live on mars, i need to back that claim up.

nobody is stopping anyone from believing whatever they want. however, if i want to believe only what is true, then i have an obligation to myself to have good reasons for my personal beliefs.

i said the person "making the positive claim" needs proof. if i claimed 100 million people live on mars, i need to back that claim up.

nobody is stopping anyone from believing whatever they want. however, if i want to believe only what is true, then i have an obligation to myself to have good reasons for my personal beliefs.

Positive or negative claims both need to be backed up, many theists will flat out claim "god doesnt exist", I appreciate that this is different from not believing in something you do not know exists but to that extent I don't see how it is stupid to ask if atheism is correct or not, because atheism has almost as many distinctions as religion itself, as this topic has demonstrated and one of the tenants of a less pragmatic atheism will be one of active disbelief in which this claim is made.

I'm also behind the proof, backing up and logic point. Why believe something without actually being able to back it up?

Just because I believe Jade Goodie shits beef flavored monster munch and pisses the sweet elixir of life, does not mean it's true.

Hence why I don't go around saying "I don't believe in god! Religion is bad maynee!" because then your just as much of a turd as the street preacher shouting "where will go you if you die tonight!!"

Religion is a never ending debate though. Do what makes you happy!

I'm also behind the proof, backing up and logic point. Why believe something without actually being able to back it up?

Just because I believe Jade Goodie shits beef flavored monster munch and pisses the sweet elixir of life, does not mean it's true.

Hence why I don't go around saying "I don't believe in god! Religion is bad maynee!" because then your just as much of a turd as the street preacher shouting "where will go you if you die tonight!!"

Religion is a never ending debate though. Do what makes you happy!

I think the Monster Munch might be a little stale now. lol.

I think one thing that does need to be acknowledged though is that you never see atheists marching about giving their views.

How many religious nuts have you met on the street or knocking on your door? Atheists are generally way more reserved.

Of course there's always exceptions but...

How many times do you hear people thanking God, say at the Oscars.... How many times do you hear people saying "I thank everyone but God because He doesn't exist".

We simply just don't acknowledge any aspect of religious thoughts.

i was watching a programme about Hurricane Katrina a few weeks ago. When they eventually evacuated people to that sports stadium, the first thing the army guy said on the P.A. was... "Thank God it wasn't worse and that we're safe."

It's things like that that make me angry. They fail to see the irony. Well surely your God did this to you in the first place? He wanted you to drown. An atheist would've thought "Fuck that's some crazy weather, I'm glad I survived."

Öwen;9469314 said:
many theists will flat out claim "god doesnt exist",

really where can i find them? :lol:

anyways, i can't argue for someone that believes there isn't a possibility of a god, so please don't expect me to. when an atheist says, "god doesn't exist" then yes, they are making a claim and they need to back it up. i will only go as far to say, "god probably doesn't exist," but i may say the previous statement just to piss off theists that aren't willing to have a discussion and just want to speak their opinion without listening to anyone else.

Öwen;9469314 said:
atheism has almost as many distinctions as religion itself

uh, no. there is strong atheism and weak atheism and that's about it. religion has a metric-fuckton of distinctions.

I think the Monster Munch might be a little stale now. lol.

I think one thing that does need to be acknowledged though is that you never see atheists marching about giving their views.

How many religious nuts have you met on the street or knocking on your door? Atheists are generally way more reserved.

Of course there's always exceptions but...

How many times do you hear people thanking God, say at the Oscars.... How many times do you hear people saying "I thank everyone but God because He doesn't exist".

We simply just don't acknowledge any aspect of religious thoughts.

i was watching a programme about Hurricane Katrina a few weeks ago. When they eventually evacuated people to that sports stadium, the first thing the army guy said on the P.A. was... "Thank God it wasn't worse and that we're safe."

It's things like that that make me angry. They fail to see the irony. Well surely your God did this to you in the first place? He wanted you to drown. An atheist would've thought "Fuck that's some crazy weather, I'm glad I survived."

Not going to enter the argument... But what logic did you use to deduce that "god" wanted them to drown to behind with?

Step me through that one yeah :)

I don't understand why the FUCK you guys always want to debate this issue.

Does the thought never cross your mind that you're not going to change someone's religious views, no matter how well thought out your argument is? I guess not because you keep beating a dead fucking horse when you could be out fucking a really hot chick.

Or building a bridge out of toothpicks or something productive... You all have science degrees right? Well, wiki is probably good enough... fuck

Not going to enter the argument... But what logic did you use to deduce that "god" wanted them to drown to behind with?

Gladly... :)

So there are two general views... One that God created the world and left us to it. I can't recall the term for this right now, but, if that's the case he did a pretty shitty job.

If you believe this theory anyway, then what is the point of thanking God or praying for anything?

The second, somewhat more deluded but popular theory is that this God is watching over us all and controlling everything. So He caused the floods.

Ok, maybe He deliberately spared the survivors (pretty sure without rescue it wouldn't have gone that way though :p). Would you see that as a consolation? Oh thank you almighty God. You spared me, but you wiped out my entire family and all my possessions. I guess they were all sinners and deserved to die then. I don't know what my PS3 did wrong though, almighty one.

Does the thought never cross your mind that you're not going to change someone's religious views, no matter how well thought out your argument is? I guess not because you keep beating a dead fucking horse when you could be out fucking a really hot chick.

Or building a bridge out of toothpicks or something productive... You all have science degrees right? Well, wiki is probably good enough... fuck

Sorry but people that post "why are you even commenting on this", if you fail to see the irony, then I'm guessing your hot chick has gone for a bath or something?

No-one is trying to change anyone's views. I'm glad and happy to be in a majority of atheists.

And I'm not really sure what a science degree has to do with this?

One person may describe god as nature, or love, or Yahweh, or Allah, or roast beef, or Satan, or Joey Sturgis. Basically, each any every theist has a different concept of god. I don't know what everyone's concept of god is, therefore I can't provide proof that their god doesn't exist without first knowing how they describe god. The burden of proof should be one the person who makes the positive claim.

This paragraph caught me completely off guard in a thread full of serious discussion, and it made me lol :lol:

Joey Sturgis is Lord, and He died for your tact.

really where can i find them? :lol:

Typo, obviously.

On the last point there's strong atheism, weak atheism, agnostic atheism, apatheistic atheism, methaphysical atheism, each with a slightly different stance or take on the whole thing.

Anyway, my point really is, that just because the question fails to address the type of atheism it is intended for, does not make it inherently stupid just partially unclarified.

not trying to enter the argument, but that sounds like a really silly question in a christian point of view. God created world, God is allpowerfull, allseeing, allknowing, alletc. God is responsible for absolutely everything in this world. When a person dies, christian people say "god called him up to heaven". So it's really silly to think that god doesn't create natural disasters, but instead he only takes the credit for saving the ones who survived?

hey god, how about NOT sending a fucking hurricane to kill everyone in the first place?

So I agree with Rhys 100%, it's just so pathetically silly when people say "I thank god it wasn't worst" when it's god's fault it was bad in the first place

:wave: I have successfully, on many occasions, talked people out of their religion. Not so they become Atheist but at least Agnostic or Humanist or whatever they ended up calling themselves. They left the church and think the Bible is full of crap and that's all I wanted. So it does work. Among those people is my own mother. :devil:

SocialNumb said:
:wave: I have successfully, on many occasions, talked people out of their religion. Not so they become Atheist but at least Agnostic or Humanist or whatever they ended up calling themselves. They left the church and think they Bible is full of crap and that's all I wanted. So it does work. Among those people is my own mother. :devil:

You are my hero. I could never talk my parents out of it, they're just too stupid about that