An Introduction To Metal Mixing

Guitardude98

New Metal Member
Jan 25, 2012
Hey guys,Im a complete noob to all of this. So any awesome dude out there who could explain some of the basic terminology to master the art of Mixing?:D. For Eg, what stuff should be done to get a good metal tone,stuff like what is compressors,Equalizers,Noise Gates,and what they do,How to get a good metal sound out of an Amplifier. What are filters,low pass filters etc,all that,what frequencies are good for metal tone,what freqencies are not needed,all that stuff.(Im sorry if I got anything wrong). I mean, There are a ton of kids out there who wanna do this but do not get a ood starting point(And I sure am one of em) So anyone who would help me out please? Links to other sites and videos would be appreciated:)

not-sure-if-trolling-or-serious.jpg

... Links to other sites and videos would be appreciated:)

http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/andy-sneap-151/

http://www.google.com/cse/home?cx=007593470310830667409:4qw46y8lnza

http://www.google.com/

http://www.youtube.com/

let me explain this in short: ask a doctor to explain brain surgery in a nutshell. c'mon that's impossible.
buy yourself a book about it and sneak this forum a lot.
[ame]http://www.amazon.com/Home-Recording-Musicians-Dummies-ebook/dp/B0026LTMG4/ref=sr_1_9?ie=UTF8&qid=1327589413&sr=8-9[/ame]

Hey guys,Im a complete noob to all of this. So any awesome dude out there who could explain some of the basic terminology to master the art of Mixing?:D. For Eg, what stuff should be done to get a good metal tone,stuff like what is compressors,Equalizers,Noise Gates,and what they do,...

It took me 15months to get from total numb to a beginner. If anyone else would ask me to answer this, I would recommend him this forum and wikipedia + google. I also agree, its very hard to find the answers in milions of treats and posts, even with search function (try this one anyway ).
Anyway for basic operation of compressors, EQs Noise gates,... try wikipedia or write me a message/E-mail... I'll be happy to explain it all to you. It is too much information (without an option to simplify) to put it in reasonable reply to this treat.

Best advice : search yourself the terms, cause metal or not, they'll mean the same anywhere.

And, check this place daily. In a few years you'll know most basic things of modern recording, and will basically then miss only hardware/backend knowledge etc.

Im a greenhorn too and Im doing two things: Read about it (books and Inet) and the rest is pretty much trial and error I think.
Thats the story behind it...

“I do feel we need a click a lot of the stuff is really hard to play on guitar, which means that if I strayed over the course of a song and by the end I played 10bpm more than at the beginning, it would be impossible to play on guitar. So I have to use a click track to maintain a steady pace.”

Tell that to Bill Steer :p

Im a noob as well, just research all over the net.

You are not going to find many people to tell you how to do it because most have spent their whole lives figuring it out on their own.

Im sure the net pisses them off dearly.....I have not many good tips but what i have found out as a common practice.

Start with mixing drums, All toms need a high pass around 50-60 because you do not want or need those really low frequencies, pay close attention to the mids because that will change your sound quite a bit. Just use your ears and experiment.

The chains that I read up on are usually eq first, then compress, reverb, then widen. But I guess you can do it however you want. When you EQ, alot say to take away instead of adding. You do not want to over-do anything.

Compressing drums alot of people use a very fast attack and release with a 4.1 ratio.

Reverb- just a hint of it

If you use Reaper pm me and I can fwd you some stuff so you can see all the frequency changes and FX i used to see what they do.

...You are not going to find many people to tell you how to do it because most have spent their whole lives figuring it out on their own.

This is not true, especially around here. In general, you will find (the knowledgeable) people in this forum will be glad to help you out and spread the knowledge, IF you do three things:

1. Realize that this is not something you can learn with just a few responses, and get the hang of in just a few days, weeks, or even months. It's an art, a craft, and also a science. You will always be learning.

2. Ask specific questions, not vague or all encompassing questions. This was worse than the legendary "how do mix drums?" question. This was more like "how do everything?"

3. Show that you are willing to help yourself. Don't be lazy and expect people to just drop what they are doing and take you by the hand and explain everything. Teachers at school get paid for this. We around here don't. Put some work into it yourself. Research. There are good tools at your disposal these days (as I put in my first post). Then come back with good, intelligent questions that show you put some thought and time into it. In general, people are willing to help those that are willing to help themselves.

You must also learn to recognize that some people are too new to things and it's really a case of the blind leading the blind. While I can appreciate their enthusiasm to help out with something they may have just learned, sometimes it's to be taken with a grain of salt. When you're new to things, you tend to think general rules of thumb are cut and dry. But once you get more experience, you'll realize that isn't always the case.

Very few people around here are guarding secret knowledge that they're not willing to share. If you follow these three advices, I can almost guarantee you'll get help around here. ;)

This is not true, especially around here. In general, you will find (the knowledgeable) people in this forum will be glad to help you out and spread the knowledge, IF you do three things:

1. Realize that this is not something you can learn with just a few responses, and get the hang of in just a few days, weeks, or even months. It's an art, a craft, and also a science. You will always be learning.

2. Ask specific questions, not vague or all encompassing questions. This was worse than the legendary "how do mix drums?" question. This was more like "how do everything?"

3. Show that you are willing to help yourself. Don't be lazy and expect people to just drop what they are doing and take you by the hand and explain everything. Teachers at school get paid for this. We around here don't. Put some work into it yourself. Research. There are good tools at your disposal these days (as I put in my first post). Then come back with good, intelligent questions that show you put some thought and time into it. In general, people are willing to help those that are willing to help themselves.

You must also learn to recognize that some people are too new to things and it's really a case of the blind leading the blind. While I can appreciate their enthusiasm to help out with something they may have just learned, sometimes it's to be taken with a grain of salt. When you're new to things, you tend to think general rules of thumb are cut and dry. But once you get more experience, you'll realize that isn't always the case.

Very few people around here are guarding secret knowledge that they're not willing to share. If you follow these three advices, I can almost guarantee you'll get help around here. ;)

Nice post for sure.

Just for the record my advice to op is definitely the blind leading the blind.

No I appreciate your honesty for real....I am very very new here, mostly a Lurker because I do not have any mixing skills to offer, just learning.

The reason I said what i said was I have been to a few forums, asking in general, what are some rules of thumb. Specifically where do some frequencies go without question or tricks that should always be done.

The only replies I got were along the lines of hey noob you think you can come here and get free advice. One guy said "Sure, how about I chop off my penis and hand it to you on a silver platter" lol

I just assumed, my fault