ANATHEMA does it to me once again...

I'm pretty sure we ordered ours from The End around the same time. I still haven't recieved mine. The End must use some extremely cheap bulk mail service or something. Their packages are always lost, broken, or take forever to get.

I'm very interested in what I've heard of the new Anathema. The last one disappointed a little.

I've just listened to it entirely, and its safe to say its better than their previous one. Its along the lines of Judgement but is much more broad in musical style. I like the female vocals.

I'm an Anathema newbie. I've heard some songs off their early albums and alternative 4 and while i really like some of their stuff, it always failed to really grab me. Now I've downloaded the title track from the new one and I'm LOVING it. All in all, is A natural disaster a good album to start with? Or should i rather be getting a classic? I've heard good things about The silent Enigma, how's the re-release?

IMO , A Natural Disaster is the weakest track on the album . It's a good album to start with . Try this or Alternative 4

Anathema has pretty much two different periods. The early more classic doom sound, and the later more subtle stuff. I personally like Alternative 4 and Judgement the best (both from the second period). The new one is much more like Judgement than it is like the early stuff. The early stuff is closer to Katatonia or Paradise Lost.

Shakermaker said:
? Or should i rather be getting a classic? I've heard good things about The silent Enigma, how's the re-release?
I'm no Anathema expert, but I do know that we have a review for that album on our webzine. :)

Serenades is their best. The Vincent Cavanaugh period was just OK. But all of their albums are good for a few songs, then just get boring. A Fine Day to Exit was just a slimy turd.

Don't pay much attention to such drivel...

The Vincent Cavanaugh period isn't over, so how can it be referred to as "was" in the past tense? A Fine Day To Exit was excellent, IMO.

Pentecost III is a better release than Serenades when it comes to the Darren White period. If you crave for that go check out The Blood Divine.

Sorry for the past tense thing. Bad grammar I guess.

Serenades is way better than Pentecost III.

And like A Fine Day to Exit, The Blood Divine is snore inducing.

Papa Josh is right, A fine Day To Exit was very much excellent except a few songs that were just ok. I mean how could it be bad with a song like Barriers and Underworld? Also, I think you should start off with Judgement, then get The Silent Enigma :)

Just ordered A natural Disaster :)
I think i'll be getting Alternative 4 and The silent Enigma as well... sooner or later.