And my #1 CD of 2011 is...

General Zod

Ruler of Australia
May 1, 2001
New Jersey
www.facebook.com
After spinning DeEvolution by Cynthesis, it's fair to say that Redemption and Symphony X really have their work cut out for them.

As I consider The Towers of Avarice one of the ten best CDs of all-time, I had absurdly high expectations for this disc. Rather than being a continuation, it is the perfect compliment to Towers. Rosvold's performance on it demonstrates, yet again, why he is one of the truly elite vocalists in music. I could attempt to wax poetic about it for hours... but the proof is in the listening. And I would highly recommend it be listened to with headphones. It is truly a stunning disc.

Erik Rosvald is singing in a new band? Did not know..... must check out. I love 'Towers' as well...well, all the ZH albums, but that one and 'Fragile Mind' are my favorites.

Erik Rosvald is singing in a new band?

Keep in mind that this band basically IS old Zero Hour, with Rosvald and the Tipton brothers.

I have heard nothing but praise for this album, so am anxiously looking forward to getting my mitts on it.

His name is Erik Rosvold, guys. Three posters misspelling it in a row.

Other than that, I concur. This is so far my favourite disc of the year and Erik Rosvold is the most underrated singer in prog. Period.

I'm not sure I understand... why is this being released under the name Cynthesis, instead of just being a Zero Hour album?

I'm not sure I understand... why is this being released under the name Cynthesis, instead of just being a Zero Hour album?
Because Erik Rosvold is no longer the Zero Hour vocalist and Sean Flanegan, the drummer on this CD, is a member of Enchant. Calling this Zero Hour would be an insult to their current members, the great Chris Salinas and Mike Guy.

Also, despite the obvious similarities to Zero Hour, I'm sure Jasun Tipton considers this a different beast musically. It is not entirely different, but it does not sound anything like the band's "new" era either, IMO.

NP: Cynthesis - DeEvolution

Because Erik Rosvold is no longer the Zero Hour vocalist and Sean Flanegan, the drummer on this CD, is a member of Enchant. Calling this Zero Hour would be an insult to their current members, the great Chris Salinas and Mike Guy.

Also, despite the obvious similarities to Zero Hour, I'm sure Jasun Tipton considers this a different beast musically. It is not entirely different, but it does not sound anything like the band's "new" era either, IMO.

Can't say it really sounds like classic Zero Hour either, though. I'm really digging this, but man.. the things I would do to hear Rosvold sing on some new Towers of Avarice-esque material.

Dammit you guys are gonna make me break out my credit card and look ol' Ken Golden up aren't you. I heard the sound clips...I've been trying to keep them out of my head, you guys wont let me forget about it!

Ah, ok; so Zero Hour is still fully active with Salinas and Guy, this is a one-off side-project the Tiptons are doing with Rosvold and Flanegan... ok, cool.

I will say though, while I'm not the biggest tech-prog fan, I liked The Towers Of Avarice quite a bit, but was never able to get into their later stuff quite as much that disc. So I may have to check out this Cynthesis disc.