Andreas Jonsson

Atheist said:
Never tried it, so I don't know. I don't like Ibanez guitars very much.

well i have tried a couple of ibanez guitars before, and my preferences to these vary... i tried an RG series and i thought it was crappy.. no control over the fretboard at all... + crappy pickups... although cool inlay on the fretboard (sharktooth) ... i also tried an S series... S470Qs... the cool thing about S series guitars is that they are really really slim and not very heavy which is kind of good cause you don't get tired when standing up too much... as opposed to my Jackson which is really heavy... like maybe 5kgs !! ... or more !!! so that's the good thing about the S series + good control over the 22 fret fretboard... the bad thing about the S series is that their bridges, like most other ibanez guitars in general, stink big time... and a good tremolo system is very important to me (that's why i had an Orignal Floyd Rose Tremolo installed to my Jackson + the EMG's ofcourse cause the guitar sound is everything :D !!!!)..... I also tried a Joe Satriani series once... can't remember which one (maybe a JS-900 or 9000... not too sure)... but it was all good except for the fact that i couldn't comfortably put it on my knees and play. Always seemed to tilt to one side (kind of like all V-guitars and Jackson Rhandy Rhoads' guitars do), which frustrated the living shit out of me... Now the reason why i'm in the market for a Steve Vai is because it's not very heavy, it's got a great relaxing fretboard... it has some of the best pickups (Dimarzio Evolution) + it has a really mean double locking tremolo system + i can easily put it on my lap and play for hours :D .... so it has all the good qualities that many of the other Ibanez's lack.... Well it has to be good. It costs around $2500 here in Lebanon!!!

Dark Lord said:
Yes... i agree with all of you guys ... except for Etter. The bass sound on " A Sceptic's Universe " is monumental, phenomenal... and very much essential... it gives a more aggressive taste to the music... that's why i'd refer to Spiral Architect's music as Aggressive Progressive (LOL).... and technical ofcourse... with lots of fusion/jazz elements bla bla bla.... you get my drift guys :D ... and by the way, gypsyshred makes a very good point about most bassists in rock/metal bands... you can hardly hear their sound !!

I fully agree! The bass sound is awesome. I generally like more aggressive bass sounds and the one on ASU is like a wet dream for me. Best thing is that the bass seems to have the same steady volume all over the album with all emphasis solely achieved through playing style instead of volume increases/decreases. Especially in the sections where the bass is playing the lead voice with the guitars "just" doing rhythm stuff.

In regards to "recording without hearing", I think I'm going to try Steinar's approach, although I'm a bassist which means that I get to do my stuff right after the drum tracks are laid down. I'm half way there, I think, because when recording I have the volume of my bass turned way down so I don't get distracted by my own playing.
I really like to record stuff with just the click but that wasn't possible yet because of various reasons.