Andreas Jonsson

NK said:
Please don't be too hard on Lars about this. The hard bass sound is largely my fault I'm afraid. I was just making sure that *everything* could be heard on the album at all times (as much as that can be possible of course) so I made the bass cut a little bit. The guys weren't able to be around for the mix so in order to avoid any disappointments like "the bass isn't loud enough" I compensated for it in the mix. This was one of the toughest albums I've ever had to mix, so I wanted to make sure everyone could hear themselves, especially after all of the crazy tracking. Once the mastering was completed the bass ended up popping through a bit more than I had hoped it would, so I take full responsibility for that decision.

Still, you CAN hear it at least!

:)

Neil K.

that true :)

mostly i don't have any problems with hearing bass on cd's but that maybe because i have a real good audioset so i hear alot more (the instruments don't get mixed up) then when i hear cd's on normal sets. For the rest i really like the mix of SA, it's just the bass sound that is to hard for me and that just my taste (sorry guys!) and when Lars ask what kind of bass he wanna use i just give my opinion :)

p.s. @Neil i heard you mix the new Aghora cd also? do you have release date date maybe?

Etter said:
Neil i heard you mix the new Aghora cd also? do you have release date date maybe?

I am still in discussions with Santiago regarding this. He last asked if I could mix it in the early New Year.

Neil K.

Hey guys, i don't mean to sound like a total idiot... but i really don't know from the picture that shows up on the top of the forum showing the spiral architect members which one is Steiner and which one is Andreas... what i know for sure is that from Right to Left we have first Asgeir, then Lars next to him, then Oyvind in the middle... then there are 2 guys left... my assumption is that the first guy next to Oyvind is Steiner and the other is Andreas... i'm not sure what Steiner looks like cause the pictures of Steiner and Kaj Gornitzka don't clearly show their faces inside the album booklet !!! plus i can't find any pictures of Spiral Architect members on the internet... plus once i tried to see Steiner on Satyricon's site, but his face was all covered by his hair... so you guys can't blame me for not knowing what Steiner Gundersen looks like !!! :oops:

Dark Lord said:
Hey guys, i don't mean to sound like a total idiot... but i really don't know from the picture that shows up on the top of the forum showing the spiral architect members which one is Steiner and which one is Andreas... what i know for sure is that from Right to Left we have first Asgeir, then Lars next to him, then Oyvind in the middle... then there are 2 guys left... my assumption is that the first guy next to Oyvind is Steiner and the other is Andreas... i'm not sure what Steiner looks like cause the pictures of Steiner and Kaj Gornitzka don't clearly show their faces inside the album booklet !!! plus i can't find any pictures of Spiral Architect members on the internet... plus once i tried to see Steiner on Satyricon's site, but his face was all covered by his hair... so you guys can't blame me for not knowing what Steiner Gundersen looks like !!! :oops:
Hi. You're right. I'm on the left.

//Andreas

This is the best thread ever... lots of interesting info and discussing.

About recording without hearing leads I think its quite normal. If you have many chords and riffs, with different durations, and changing fast, its probably easier to concentrate on the rythmic part of the music than listening to a melody which may distract you. At least happened to me in the few recordings I made.

Manu SwordMaster said:
This is the best thread ever... lots of interesting info and discussing.

About recording without hearing leads I think its quite normal. If you have many chords and riffs, with different durations, and changing fast, its probably easier to concentrate on the rythmic part of the music than listening to a melody which may distract you. At least happened to me in the few recordings I made.

Actually, you misunderstood what I meant. Steinar didn't want to listen to what he was playing AT ALL as he played. Nothing. Only the bass and drums, with absolutely NO guitar in the mix as he recorded the guitar. I'm talking about the rhythm guitars, not the leads.

Neil K.

That's the way he prefers to record. He performs the section without hearing any guitar in the mix, then listens back WITH the guitar in the mix. It's simply the way he likes to do things. Very cool. Once I got used to the process I really enjoyed it a lot.

Neil K.

Atheist said:
He does even hear himself?

Not as he's playing the part, no. We would listen back to what he did after he had played it without hearing it at the time. I know it sounds really hard to believe - it was the first time I had ever experienced anything like that in about 27 years of making albums at the time. Still, as I said, after about 30 minutes of using this technique I really started to get used to it and enjoyed the technique a lot in the end, although since that time I've not met anyone else who likes to do it that way. That's what makes my job fun - no two days are ever the same.

Neil K.

If I record more then one guitar then I usually mute allready recorded guitars, but I have to hear what I play cause that's the only way to know if I am (palm)muting the strings right.

I practice without amp and dist so I would be on my ground when recording without hearing myself if there isn't a muting problem.

It would be cool if Steinar could post about that.

nicosanchez said:
I used to practice that way, but then when i played with dist, it was really noisy:ill: . Now I practice with a hell of a lot of gain, waaay more than what I regularly use, I found out that practising this way makes me more accurate and less noisy.

I don't do it cause I want, but because I live with 3 other people in 40 m^2 and amp is in the kitchen while effects are in the box in other room. I wait for everyone to leave the flat so I can turn the kitchen into a home studio (computer is on the dining table :Spin: )

I know what you mean about noise.

I always usually practice without the amp or any effects. But then, like nicosanchez, i realized that too much practice without my amp and effects makes me take distortion noise and feedback very lightly... which makes me play some dirty/noisy techniques.... especially the tough ones... these in my opinion can't be trained on without LOUD effects: Sweeping, String-Skipping, and String-Skipping Tapping !!! .... especially the last one....very delicate and requires alot of accuracy and practice !!! ... so it's really not bad to train on clean guitars or with nothing on... but to actually perfect a technique, you have to perfect and control all the variables that come with the sound of the guitar... ie: the amp and the distortion effects.... by the way, what equipment/guitar do you guys have and use (nicosanchez & Atheist)??... I have a Jackson DKMG with EMG 81 & 85 pickups and an original Floyd Rose tremolo. I have a Marshall Valvestate AVT 20... I also use as effects a Digitech GNX3, a Dunlop "Wah" Cry Baby, and a Boss MT-2 Metal Zone (I rarely use this one).

I have a Samick guitar with DiMarzio Super 2 pickups (yeahhh, ear piercing stuff :headbang: ), an old Boss ME-X with a Blues Driver and a Hyper Metal in it, a 130W head (solid state, it took me 2 full years to build and tune that roaring beast), a custom 4x12 (it's a little bigger that the regular 1960 Marshall, and it's made of MDF, that gives me a more tight low end). I set the BD-2 with some gain, then it goes to the HM-3 which gives me some more distortion (the dist pot at 12 o'clock), and finally into the amp, which adds a little more distortion (just a little, like the BD-2, same amount, [almost] same sound)

And then combine all those ingredients, add a pinch of salt, and voila! You get a dirty but clear full shredding death metal sound.:headbang:

PD: Usually for practising, I use my beloved Laney HCM60 with a cheap Ibanez Powerlead in front of it, and set everything to "square wave heaven" levels.