Andromeda - Chimera

Empty Vision

The Accolade
Feb 15, 2006
Melbourne, Australia
This past week I have found myself in a dry-spell as far as musical inspiration and enjoyment goes. There has been absolutely nothing that tickled my ears or connected with me in any emotional way. Im the type of person who can't go a day without listening to music in some form or another, lets just say its theraputic for me, as soon as something comes on that I can enjoy then it relaxes me and gets rid of all(well most) of my worries. But nothing has been doing it for me, not even Megadeth, SYL, Devin Townsend and Symphony X which are pretty much bands that I thought I could rely on in desperate times like these.

I had bought Pain Of Salvations 'Remedy Lane' a few days ago and while I respect it for being an ambitious piece of progressive rock with some very good songwriting and lyrics, it just did not satisfy me or connect with me in the way I had hoped it would after reading all the positive reviews for it.

But today the dry spell was broken, I went in to the city to get Andromeda's 'Extension Of The Wish' album as it seems to be their most highly praised album etc, but ofcourse living in Australia means that its difficult to get albums by underground European prog-metal bands, so the only album they had was their latest album 'Chimera', naturally I settled for that. I must say that this is the best music I have bought in a while and I guess it satisfies everything that I have needed in the last week.

Its very good prog-metal, a lot of it is moderate-slow paced but thats hardly a worry. Its one of the few prog-metal bands I have heard where the lyrics and keyboards do not make the music sound cheesy, the guitar playing and drum playing is phenominal, the songs are memorable and actually have some huge hooks, the vocals are fantastic and the lyrics are actually quiet good. I can't really compare these guys to anyone but I hear similarities to Evergrey, Dream Theater and perhaps some of the modern Euro-death bands like Mercenary and Scar Symmetry to a certain degree. This is my first taste of Andromeda so I don't know how this album stands up against their catalogue but this is a very good album and if this is their worst then their other albums must be fucking amazing.

Sorry for the long pointless post but I just thought I'd share my thoughts. Any fans of this band?

I have II=I and it's great!
I think Chimera is similar, but with some added growls, although I always wanted to listen to it, I never did, but I guess I should.

btw, Remedy Lane needs some time, so don't give it up!

I think Chimera is similar, but with some added growls, although I always wanted to listen to it, I never did, but I guess I should.

I haven't listened to this disc in a while and I don't recall any growling...

It's better then most of the stuff from last year but not better then Extension...

I have II=I and it's great!

btw, Remedy Lane needs some time, so don't give it up!

agreed......POS took me a while to get into. Remedy Lane was my first and I didn't like it at first.......but now they're one of my favorite bands. Definitely not for everyone though.