Andy, any thoughts of ever doing an Instructional Book/DVD?

gemini8026

always a n00b
Aug 15, 2008
Saskatchewan Canada
www.jeffwizniak.com
Personally, I have never been a fan of what is out there at the moment in terms of mixing and such. Sure, theres stuff like David Gibsons book with all sorts of good information, but sometimes guys want to focus on a more specific genre.

Truthfully, most of the people I chat/associate with are interested in harder modern music. A lot of these same guys have the same questions, same problems and seek some answers. A search function works great on forums, but theres a lot of misinformation and talk from people who arent experts.

Who better then one of the leading authorities on todays "hard sound"???

We are in a new era where a lot of the current music is being produced with plugins and gear that is affordable to home studio guys.

I'd buy!!! I'd be willing to bet you'd have a few more hundred orders off this board alone :heh:

I think a DVD relating to capturing a good/workable sound from the get-go would be a great thing for today's generation of project studio engineers. The knowledge of how to capture the sound you want from a natural kit without having to resort to one of the many sample collections floating around would be an invaluable asset.

Personally, I have never been a fan of what is out there at the moment in terms of mixing and such. Sure, theres stuff like David Gibsons book with all sorts of good information, but sometimes guys want to focus on a more specific genre.

Truthfully, most of the people I chat/associate with are interested in harder modern music. A lot of these same guys have the same questions, same problems and seek some answers. A search function works great on forums, but theres a lot of misinformation and talk from people who arent experts.

Who better then one of the leading authorities on todays "hard sound"???

We are in a new era where a lot of the current music is being produced with plugins and gear that is affordable to home studio guys.

I'd buy!!! I'd be willing to bet you'd have a few more hundred orders off this board alone :heh:

It depends on whether you are talking about recording or mixing. I've personally found a couple of 'generic' books incredibly helpful and stuffed full of useful tips and tricks. The main one that comes to mind is The Mixing Engineers Handbook 2nd Ed. by Bobby Owsinski. It's literally packed with Studio secrets from top engineers. As a complete noob 'How to get great sound from any Studio' by Karl Koryat was pretty helpful in explaining compressors/ expanders EQ etc. Ones to avoid: 'Modern recording Techniques' by D. Huber which I found had practically no information that pertained to bedroom producers and a technical obsession with equations and science that was never really put into context.

It depends on whether you are talking about recording or mixing. I've personally found a couple of 'generic' books incredibly helpful and stuffed full of useful tips and tricks. The main one that comes to mind is The Mixing Engineers Handbook 2nd Ed. by Bobby Owsinski. It's literally packed with Studio secrets from top engineers. As a complete noob 'How to get great sound from any Studio' by Karl Koryat was pretty helpful in explaining compressors/ expanders EQ etc. Ones to avoid: 'Modern recording Techniques' by D. Huber which I found had practically no information that pertained to bedroom producers and a technical obsession with equations and science that was never really put into context.

I second the Mixing Engineers Handbook, as well as the Mastering Engineer's Handbook. Both are indispensable.

All the books mentioned are great. The "Modern Recording Techniques" book is in my opinion a great introduction to recording and all that goes into it. The most valuable thing in that book is the recommended reading at the end of the book! :loco:

But yeah, a DVD would be nice! Too bad they tend to be expensive.. still cheap compared to a day in a pro studio!

I'd pay good money just to watch the studio sessions alone. Ive been recording and trying to get my mixes as good as possible, but ive never been in a studio nor seen anyone actually do any tracking.

Ive watched the Opeth DVD set numerous times, I woulda loved to have seen some of the plugins/settings on that classic album!!!(the lamentations set with the DVD where it has interviews and lots of studio footage)

Let's all chip in £5 each and see what he says... :D

On a serious note, the amount of brilliant info I've learned from what Andy has said on here and elsewhere (total guitar interview etc) has been invaluable.

To show how much I believe in this idea I would like to step up and volunteer my band as the guinea pig for this project :D We'd be happy to do it (honestly, I just always wanted to see this "swanky leather couch" I've heard so much about on the Backstage website!)

I don't see how this would work to keep it real.
Like, how would he "show" stuff? Like it's not going to work the same everytime so if he did something on his project, it won't always be the case, and It definitely wouldn't translate to other people's projects.
Am I missing something.

All the other info that is more generic knowledge can easily be found through this site and searching around learning from all the dudes on here that really know what they are doing. I think a DVD would be too far fetched with time issues and stuff...

I don't see how this would work to keep it real.
Like, how would he "show" stuff? Like it's not going to work the same everytime so if he did something on his project, it won't always be the case, and It definitely wouldn't translate to other people's projects.
Am I missing something.

All the other info that is more generic knowledge can easily be found through this site and searching around learning from all the dudes on here that really know what they are doing. I think a DVD would be too far fetched with time issues and stuff...

I think the idea is that by watching something you can sometimes understand it and retain it better. Also that by watching a professional in their element you can pick up on a lot of the smaller or more subtle things that can be involved through all of the steps of recording. Everything from pre-production through final mastering ... by seeing it and hearing it maybe something sticks better than just reading it.

Just as a personal example ... and actually James could tell you this, for the longest time there was this one very basic repetitive lick on guitar that while I understood the finger positioning and how I needed to play it from listening to it, I could just never really seem to retain it or make it sound right. But as soon as I saw it being played, right in front of me and on my guitar, it made sense.

Now I may be at the top 1% of the idiot class because shit like this helps me but the point is that it helped. Now I use that fucker all over the place :D

Anyway, just my thoughts on it

Cheers!