Andy Franck's Vocal Malfunction?

Kink E. Sizemore

New Metal Member
Sep 13, 2009
What in the world happened during three of Brainstorm's songs, where Andy inexplicably missed the opening lines to said songs? One being "Worlds Are Coming Through" and another being "Falling Spiral Down". Was he high/drunk or did he just get nervous or was it a band issue? I mean otherwise it was the best showing at Prog Power this year, and I'm very surprised no one's commented on it yet. :p

I think at least one of those times it was the illusive on/off switch. I thought I noticed him messing around with it but I'm not familiar with their songs so I can't tell you when he did it.

I was wondering that too. It didn't seem like a sound issue from where I was, cause sometimes it was like he was trying to remember the lyric and would say something and you'd hear it in the mic. Then it was like he was going around to the band asking what the line was to jolt his memory. On the first song he did it from Liquid Monster, I couldn't even remember what the vocal melody was after he sung something. I was thinking "That's not how that goes"...and it totally made me draw a blank to remember myself lol

To me - it seems like he just forgot the lyrics.

Tbh, it felt uncomfortable watching cause I knew what it was like for him to be having that moment. However, on one song it's ok, but that many - gah, I just felt bad for him.

In some sense - it took away from their overall performance IMO. Especially when he'd say "sing with me!!!" before the next song after having one of those moments...

Still a kick ass performance though! But I don't think they outdid their prior PP performance at all.

To Emerald Sword, I didn't think they sounded bad sound wise, it's just Pagan Mind sounded the best of the night so following that (That 5150 rack he brought over, that thing smokes...), they didn't sound as great.

I love BRAINSTORM, but they seemed out of sync the entire time. Their sound was complete shit, too.

Seriously? Were you even there? The "band" sounded GREAT! They were right on. They "band" was in a very tight groove and jammed on even though Andy had the "Brain-Fart" of a life time. He clearly could not remember the lyrics. Forgetting the lyrics for a singer is a huge gaff, but to say the band was out sync as well, and sounded like shit is absolute STUPIDITY!

Seriously? Were you even there? The "band" sounded GREAT! They were right on. They "band" was in a very tight groove and jammed on even though Andy had the "Brain-Fart" of a life time. He clearly could not remember the lyrics. Forgetting the lyrics for a singer is a huge gaff, but to say the band was out sync as well, and sounded like shit is absolute STUPIDITY!
First of all I'm not stupid and their sound was shit from where I was. I said their SOUND not their playing. andy had a bad gig and naturally it throws the whole thing out of whack a bit. Get a grip, dude. I've seen them twice before and they sounded better then both times. Now piss off.

First of all I'm not stupid and their sound was shit from where I was. I said their SOUND not their playing. andy had a bad gig and naturally it throws the whole thing out of whack a bit. Get a grip, dude. I've seen them twice before and they sounded better then both times. Now piss off.

What's funny is I usually agree with 90% of what you post on here. So, I wouldn't call YOU stupid. But your post was completely INACCURATE. I too have seen them before. They sounded great from where I was standing, with the exception of the lack of vocals on a portion of 3 songs. You post was straight up pissing on their performance which IMO was unjustified. You made a strong opinion, so you got one back.

I think Andy was so worried about playing the 2 new songs and singing with CG Friday night that he never rehearsed his old songs. The ultimate brain fart. I felt bad for him. There sound was unreal and the new songs sound great.

from a singer's standpoint who ALSO has taken the stage having consumed some alcohol a little bit before the show i am going to cast my vote that Andy had too much to drink before going on stage. just a lot of his mannerisms where that of drinking, plus the guitarist on his right was VERY upset with him i could tell from where i was sitting. so it definitely was not "mic issues".

i actually jetted early because i knew it wasn't going to get better. i dug what i heard and thought they were rocking out, but he just partied a little too hard. can you blame him? it's FUDGIN' PROG POWER!! (i know, i know we all paid good money, etc etc) they were just trying to have some fun like the rest of us. plus, they are kicking off a new tour and he probably had to go back and learn some of the lyrics (not even in his native language) since i am sure they have been working on that new album non-stop. so the focus wasn't completely there on the older stuff.

Well, it just boils down to the fact that Andy had a bad, first night back to work, plus it was the first show of the tour. You could tell he was frustrated with himself and I actually felt uncomfortable for the guy. If all of us were hitting on 8 cylinders 100% of the time, then we wouldn't be human.

~Brian~

The way I see it..... it happens. The blunder did pretty much ruin one song, but he recovered in time to save the other two for my ears. It is all a matter of perspective anyway. I thought it was a little funny watching the band jamming out and singing their harmony parts with Andy frantically searching his brain for the lyrics to those songs. Don`t get me wrong, I felt bad for him because I know he had to have felt terrible about it, but you have to take the bad with the good.
I actually thought his voice was fantastic Saturday night. He may be blue collar and tend to stay in the lower registers mostly, but his voice was thick and filled the arena well when he was singing. I thought it was still a good performance. It also may not be that he forgot the lyrics, but rather his cue point. He may not have been able to hear the guitars well, or something. Who knows ?

Bryant

Not sure what happened but in my opinion, Andy at 60% is better than everyone else at 100%. That's actually a Zod quote, but I'm sure he won't mind if I use it :)
LOL. Not at all.

While I thoroughly enjoyed their set, Andy not only screwed up three songs lyrically, but his energy level was off as well. While opening night rust excuses the lyrical missteps, it doesn't explain the lack of energy. If anything, one would expect the energy level to be through the roof on opening night. In addition, when Andy was lost lyrically, Torsten looked pissed. Band members don't normally get pissed at each other for honest mistakes. However, they do get annoyed if you show up on stage (cough, cough) "under the weather".

As Tammy noted, Brainstorm is such a great live band, they have a lot of wiggle room. It was an "A" performance for an average band, a "B" for Brainstorm.

Zod