Andy Franck's Vocal Malfunction?

Really? Do you own Become Death and Twice Second? Those are great albums imo, that don't sound very close to Brainstorm's material. Brainstorm seems to stay more on the "straight and narrow" of traditional metal. With that said, I've always got more of an "experimental and modern" vibe from the Symphorce stuff.
I own both and have probably listened to neither since the week after purchasing them.

While the guitar work may not be the same, Andy's voice is by far the most dominant force in both bands. In addition, none of the individual band members, do anything musically to distinguish themselves. Finally, although Symphorce is, in theory, more progressive, both bands write songs that are by and large, generic Power Metal.

Zod

Okay, a couple of things. 1. This was my first time seeing Brainstorm and they definitely were in my top 3, along with Primal Fear and Fates Warning for bands to see. There was a problem with Andy, which could've been any number of problems, but honestly we're talking about a couple of songs. The rest of the set was kickass to me.

2. I don't think they should've played new songs. It's been a number of years since they last played progpower, so it wasn't necessary, especially since the new stuff they did play was slower paced than usual. I personally think if a band does play something new and the album isn't out, it should be something ROCKING and easy to get into. Those songs weren't, which is weird for Brainstorm.

3. Let's face facts. Brainstorm is a really heavy band for power metal. I still don't know if I even fully consider them power metal, but they are NOT the most technically gifted band by far. They have a lot of energy, can make catchy choruses and riffs and are just a lot of fun. They just don't have the chops that the majority of the other bands have, and I love them.

4. You know I never tried listening to Symphorce and thought they were just another blah metal band. Now that I know Andy sings for them, I'm definitely checking them out. The thing is about Andy is he has a distinctive voice and Brainstorm in general I think doesn't sound like anyone else. So generic power metal? I don't think so because they don't sound like anyone else, but I see where you're going. They don't do anything outside of the norm, but what they do, they do well.

He may have had an "off night," or whatever, but Andy Frank is one of the coolest people you will ever meet at Prog Power. His attitude and personality totally make up for a couple of mistakes. Unlike some other guys, in particular a portly guitar player who had a lot of trouble with his acoustic sound. Also, Andy was one of the few vocalists that did not have lyric sheets on stage ...

He may have had an "off night,"

Exactly. The funny thing is that people never learn, especially in this crowd, since they're so spoiled at times. It's like people expect every single show to be flawless, with no mistakes or whatever... That's just not gonna happen.

I remember people criticizing Angra for being a "lousy band" at ProgPower a few years back, when really they just had an off night and the sound person wasn't the greatest. Ughhh.... Give Brainstorm and Andy a break!

Exactly. The funny thing is that people never learn, especially in this crowd, since they're so spoiled at times. It's like people expect every single show to be flawless, with no mistakes or whatever... That's just not gonna happen.

I remember people criticizing Angra for being a "lousy band" at ProgPower a few years back, when really they just had an off night and the sound person wasn't the greatest. Ughhh.... Give Brainstorm and Andy a break!

I haven't seen anybody here making personal attacks though. Just that there were flaws, and they are stating that it took away from their experience of the show, and thus didn't have as good of a time as they expected.

Doesn't matter to me if they are 100% all other nights, only matters, personally, how they played when I saw them.

While the guitar work may not be the same, Andy's voice is by far the most dominant force in both bands.

If you haven't already checked them out, I think you should try the first 3 Ivanhoe albums with Andy. He sounds more "diverse" on them, (whereas he nowadays reuses the same vocal melodies again and again) and the music doesn't compare to neither Brainstorm nor Symphorce at all.

c.

I spoke to Andy after the show and said "Thanks for a great show, my first live Brainstorm." He rolled his eyes at the GREAT part..... He certainly did not feel like they gave a fantastic set.... none the less, as I told him, shit happens on a live show and I still had a great time!