Andy - Mouse question

Razorjack

Bass Behemoth
Jun 13, 2004
Manchester, UK
www.pythiamusic.com
Andy, do you use a standard mac mouse or something with more functions (like the trackball and shuttle controls James uses)? Do you use a mouse often within PT or do you use the Control 24 for most functions?

when I'm a tape op in a session I bring along my own Track Ball. Makes life so much easier, and knowing shortcuts.

The greatest tool of them all for a tape op, Markers. Saves so much time and grief :p

I tape op session the other day with a radar system. Great system but pro tools is easier to use. Makes you appreciate the convenience of pro tools.

Sorry bout the rant, just me 2 cents...

Genius Gone Insane said:
What is control 24?

A control surface to use with ProTools:
http://www.digidesign.com/products/control/control24/

I use a trackball from Kensington instead of a mouse. It takes a while to get used to it but once you have everything programmed and you get in the hang of things it makes work much much faster. And you can program the buttons to change tools or make edits depending on what the task is. Trackball + keyboard shortcuts = heaven.

Kensington makes excellent trackballs

well the control 24 never works for starters, mines been back 4 times now. I want to run a studio at a professional level and this thing just doesn't seem capable. So I looked into the SSL and I could go the second hand route, but I can't be doing with the maintenance, I'd need a machine room for the oversized ZX81 and not to mention the power bill. So although pricey, it seems like a great option to have 24 channels of SSLJ running along side your DAW, working together.

while staying at Andy's for several weeks this past spring i was privileged to be able to take detailed photos of Andy's various gear.. including his mouse set-up, with him in action. it's my honor to share that particular pic here with you now: Andy's mouse set-up.

dabhoys said:
I tape op session the other day with a radar system. Great system but pro tools is easier to use. Makes you appreciate the convenience of pro tools.
RADAR is awesome. I wouldn't really compare it to ProTools, it's not really a DAW and only meant for limited editing. It's basically meant just to replace a tape machine. I wouldn't say ProTools as a tape machine is easier to use either, I mean RADAR is pretty simple and you don't have to go through hardware setups and whatnot. Personally I think it sounds better for tracking than PT. If I was loaded I'd get one for Tracking and ProTools for editing/mixing. Best of both worlds in my opinion.

iZ is a local company and I love the guys. Since they're local here if you have any problems you just call them up and they came by and fix it right away.

Months ago some idiot was messing around and deleted some of the bootup files or something. It was like 10pm on a Friday night and the President of iZ came and fixed the problem himself, that's quality customer service. He was a cool guy, we chatted for like an hour after he was done.

James Murphy said:
while staying at Andy's for several weeks this past spring i was privileged to be able to take detailed photos of Andy's various gear.. including his mouse set-up, with him in action. it's my honor to share that particular pic here with you now: Andy's mouse set-up.

I've heard that these mice have longevity issues, and that it's tough to contact the manufacturer. :lol:

I knew the rat pic would make an appearance. As killed by my boy Marlow
marlow.jpg

Matt needs to post his cat Truman up here, he's got a blanket fetish

Andy Sneap said:
well the control 24 never works for starters, mines been back 4 times now. I want to run a studio at a professional level and this thing just doesn't seem capable. So I looked into the SSL and I could go the second hand route, but I can't be doing with the maintenence, I'd need a machine room for the oversized ZX81 and not to mention the power bill. So although pricey, it seems like a great option to have 24 channels of SSLJ running along side your DAW, working together.
i hear ya man. the control 24 at the studio i work at was acting up today. a couple of the faders were going crazy. sometimes the thing is just a pain. let us know how the ssl works for you.

James Murphy said:

Whoah, you guys are into rat wrestling too? It looks like Andy was putting a beating on that little guy. That appears to have been a clotheline or pile driver, or somethin'? Man, he's a mean dude. Look at how 's just taunting the little guy to get back up.