Andy Sneap Recording Column

JV

Nov 16, 2003
Peabody,Massachusetts
Visit site
I just picked up Total Guitar magazine Summer 2005. Someone wrote to the editor and asked how to improve their recordings, to match those that come with the TG Cd. The editor replied:

"It just so happens that UK Metal Producer Andy Sneap (Killswitch Engage,Trivium,Testament), approached TG about writing just a feature. As the man responsible for making today's metal guitarists sound truly kick-ass on record, Any is the ideal dude to show you how to get the most out of your home studio kit and improve the quality of your recordings. Watch out for Andy's feature in a forthcoming issue of TG."

.....awesome! :headbang:

Word has it Andy has also been contacted by Hugh Heffner about writing a new Playboy column on how to pick up metal/rocker chicks.

awesome !!

I'm just about to start recording guitars and NEED help !!!!!

The tone is close just NOT quite there....

Andy any chance you'll be flying to Australia and helping out us Aussie metalheads ???

*sighs* yep thought so, well worth a try

ROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOCCCCCCK !!!

EtherForBreakfast said:
Word has it Andy has also been contacted by Hugh Heffner about writing a new Playboy column on how to pick up metal/rocker chicks.

That's actually true, but supposedly it's a full book and not just a column:

stag.jpg

LMFAO!

Seriously though, I've always wondered why 'Mix' has never done a feature article on Andy. Every issue (for years now) I check the table of contents hoping to see something. You'd think that a guy with such notoriety and a beautiful studio would've been interviewed a few times by now.

metalkingdom said:
LMFAO!

Seriously though, I've always wondered why 'Mix' has never done a feature article on Andy. Every issue (for years now) I check the table of contents hoping to see something. You'd think that a guy with such notoriety and a beautiful studio would've been interviewed a few times by now.

I'd rather see Andy in EQ or Electronic Musician. Mix is basically toilet paper.

Kazrog said:
I'd rather see Andy in EQ or Electronic Musician. Mix is basically toilet paper.

EQ and Electronic Musician are intermdiate level mags, as far as recording goes. Mix is for pro's. It's definitely the most respected rag in the business.

metalkingdom said:
EQ and Electronic Musician are intermdiate level mags, as far as recording goes. Mix is for pro's. It's definitely the most respected rag in the business.

Really? Why is Mix the most respected? It's basically all advertisements, ass-kissing, and no substance. There's nothing hands-on, and the product reviews are basically copy/pasted from product marketing literature, instead of honest reviews. Why do "pros" want that?

Last year my Electronic Musician subscription changed to Mix, without warning, for no reason. I was very angry and got them to switch me back. Electronic Musician and EQ cater to all experience levels, and every month I find their articles to be informative and useful.

Kazrog said:
Really? Why is Mix the most respected? It's basically all advertisements, ass-kissing, and no substance. There's nothing hands-on, and the product reviews are basically copy/pasted from product marketing literature, instead of honest reviews. Why do "pros" want that?

Last year my Electronic Musician subscription changed to Mix, without warning, for no reason. I was very angry and got them to switch me back. Electronic Musician and EQ cater to all experience levels, and every month I find their articles to be informative and useful.

You kinda get to the point where you've outgrown EQ and Electronic Musician(at least for the recording aspect of EM). The vast majority of the info and tips offered in those mags are things that highly experienced engineers know already. They are both more useful for those who own project studios, as opposed to those who work in the big studios. I never really looked at Mix's articles as "ass-kissing". I think that it's more like a tribute to your peers and those engineers and producers who are admired in the real music business (which is why I'd like to see Andy featured). Aside from technical specs, product reviews are merely one's opinion - which doesn't mean much when you know that you yourself have your own tastes and likes/dislikes. There's plenty of substance in Mix. Instead of "how to" articles, there are first hand accounts of high profile and historic sessions that are generally more interesting to those that have done this for a long time.

For several years after I started engineering, Recording, EQ, and EM were the only mags whose content I actually understood. I definitely learned LOTS from them (usually read on the can!). It's hard to relate to some of the things mentioned in Mix like Telefunken mic pre's and AMS s-dmx delay/samplers if you've never used them.

I read EM for music creation and MIDI related stuff. Sound on Sound is a good magazine, as well as Audio Media. I have a personal issue with EQ.