Andy Sneap Recording Column

metalkingdom said:
You kinda get to the point where you've outgrown EQ and Electronic Musician(at least for the recording aspect of EM). The vast majority of the info and tips offered in those mags are things that highly experienced engineers know already. They are both more useful for those who own project studios, as opposed to those who work in the big studios. I never really looked at Mix's articles as "ass-kissing". I think that it's more like a tribute to your peers and those engineers and producers who are admired in the real music business (which is why I'd like to see Andy featured). Aside from technical specs, product reviews are merely one's opinion - which doesn't mean much when you know that you yourself have your own tastes and likes/dislikes. There's plenty of substance in Mix. Instead of "how to" articles, there are first hand accounts of high profile and historic sessions that are generally more interesting to those that have done this for a long time.

For several years after I started engineering, Recording, EQ, and EM were the only mags whose content I actually understood. I definitely learned LOTS from them (usually read on the can!). It's hard to relate to some of the things mentioned in Mix like Telefunken mic pre's and AMS s-dmx delay/samplers if you've never used them.

I read EM for music creation and MIDI related stuff. Sound on Sound is a good magazine, as well as Audio Media. I have a personal issue with EQ.

Cool! I agree with just about everything you've said here. I do, however, like in-depth reviews that discuss bugs, interface quirks, compatibility issues, etc. so I have more awareness about a product before I buy it, particularly when it comes to software.

I was a bit harsh towards Mix, I know. And I have read some interesting articles in Mix, but a lot of the magazine seems like "fluff" to me. Andy deserves to be in ALL of the major magazines, and I'm sure Mix could do a glorious article on him and his studio.

A lot of the articles in EM are newbie-centric, but what I like the most is their reviews and their articles about new technology on the horizon. Sometimes I laugh at the recording/mixing tips they have in there, though...

I wish I could afford a Telefunken anything, they rock! :headbang:

Ya know why none of those magazines (..this is my personal opionion of course) won't feature Andy?....Because metal is not mainstream music....and that is sad,sad,sad, letme tell ya' sad. Mix had a pretty good write up about Dave (Shitvavana) Grohl and his Poo, I mean Foo Fighters band. The freakin' equipment they listed, I won't bore ya. Then they brought in Elliot Scheiner to mix, and then it went off to some big name for mastering.

I"m reading this and (no bullshit) saying to myself..."...ya know there's a guy over in England, who tracks, mixes, masters, albums all by himself. What are these guys blowin' themselves about?"

I also enjoy blues (...please don't throw me otta'here). The guitar tones on some of the new recordings,are to me, fantastic. Like I'll ever see the engineer/producer who did the album in one of those magazines. Ya know...how he/she got those tones .....simply because blues like metal is not Foo crap mainstream. ALL those magazines promote....."if you want big time results, you need big time equipment." I think Andy"s work (...and James's work for that matter) speak volumes..............to bad the "in the know" crowd don't.

:wave:

JV said:
Ya know why none of those magazines (..this is my personal opionion of course) won't feature Andy?....Because metal is not mainstream music....and that is sad,sad,sad, letme tell ya' sad. Mix had a pretty good write up about Dave (Shitvavana) Grohl and his Poo, I mean Foo Fighters band. The freakin' equipment they listed, I won't bore ya. Then they brought in Elliot Scheiner to mix, and then it went off to some big name for mastering.

I"m reading this and (no bullshit) saying to myself..."...ya know there's a guy over in England, who tracks, mixes, masters, albums all by himself. What are these guys blowin' themselves about?"

I also enjoy blues (...please don't throw me otta'here). The guitar tones on some of the new recordings,are to me, fantastic. Like I'll ever see the engineer/producer who did the album in one of those magazines. Ya know...how he/she got those tones .....simply because blues like metal is not Foo crap mainstream. ALL those magazines promote....."if you want big time results, you need big time equipment." I think Andy"s work (...and James's work for that matter) speak volumes..............to bad the "in the know" crowd don't.

:wave:

Before we end up in a rad festival of elitism, did you see the latest issue of Future Music? Adam from Killswitch on the cover, with an article featuring him, Devin Townsend, Steven Wilson, and Butch Walker (who I respect immensely.) Oddly missing from this article was Andy Sneap, but at least they're recognizing metal.

Mainstream or not, I also think the Foo Fighters albums sound amazing, and are worth a write-up. Dave Grohl is a full-on metalhead and an awesome songwriter, too, give the guy a break!

Hey kazrog!

While I think Dave Grohl is a cool guy, I still don't like his band. The magazines I was referring to (EQ, E.M Mix), seem to cater mostly to pop/mainstream engineers/producers.
I just think that guys, such as Andy, should get a little more recognition based on their talent......not the genre of music they produce.

JV said:
Hey kazrog!

While I think Dave Grohl is a cool guy, I still don't like his band. The magazines I was referring to (EQ, E.M Mix), seem to cater mostly to pop/mainstream engineers/producers.
I just think that guys, such as Andy, should get a little more recognition based on their talent......not the genre of music they produce.

I don't expect you to like Foo Fighters, but they work hard at what they do and I think they're very respectable, musically as well as sonically.

Andy will get the recognition he deserves, I have no doubt in my mind. The whole music industry is being turned upside-down right now and the landscape is changing for the better. Fad-driven music is dying an ugly death. "Underground" metal is becoming less underground with the passing of each day. For now, Andy has immense respect and "street cred" both in and outside of the metal community among engineers and musicians alike. Be careful what you wish for...

I'm happy to see Opeth's success grow slowly over time. They deserve it, and I believe that they are one of those bands that people will still be listening to 100 years from now. Their music connects with a broad range of tastes, and I don't see that as a bad thing at all.

When they release a new album, I finally feel as though I'm able to experience the same kind of excitement that people felt when The Beatles and Led Zeppelin were still making records. I can't praise them highly enough.