Angel Of Retribution.

Paxoman

Sep 10, 2002
A stranger in a strange land!
Visit site
Bought the new Judas Priest album today. I have only heard it once, but can't say I was overly impressed on first listen. The album starts off OK with 'Judas Rising', but the second track (Deal With The Devil) is very ordinary. 'Revolution' is a bit different, and sounds like a track that could grow on you. 'Worth Fighting For' and 'Wheels Of Fire' are the only tracks for me on the album that stand out on first listen. 'Angel' is a good track but the rest are pretty naff. And what the hell is going on with the last track (Lochness)?!! I thought it was only Saxon that ended their albums with a completely naff track!

I must say though, the packaging for the album is superb. I opted to pay £2 more and bought the booklet version with the DVD. It was nice to be able to read the words of the songs and not have them printed so small, be written in completely stupid writing, or have stupid colours or pictures (or both!) printed behind them so as to make them near impossible to read! The whole package is nicely put together. Hopefully the album is a 'grower'.

Yeah got it myself today, how much did you pay paxo? coz the special edition one cost me like £4 quid more than the normal one which was £10 ! so i paid £14 .....obviously! lol

Anyway i think the album is simply awesome! every song more or less exactly what i was expecting (s'pose it would be though since i did download the album a month ago lol......but i deleted it after 1 days worth of listening!! thats my rule!)

I think the CD easily blows away all its competition and give's a true priest fan exactly what he (or her) was waiting so long for !! comparisons to Painkliller to me are pointless, this is a release comparable to every priest album (because there is some of all of them in this CD!)

I agree paxo, the packaging is really nice right down to the images on the discs (im still trying to decide which is best the dvd with the blue or the CD with the orange colour lol) the booklet design is awesome...tommorow im gonna buy the other version :headbang:

I love the album, its just what i wanted !!!

My fave songs are: "Hellrider,Judas Rising,Demonizer,Lochness"

The Live stuff on the dvd is great as well! diamonds and rust is awesome!!!

Btw paxo, you beat me to it starting this thread mate lol !
:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

I paid £11.97 for it Valanx, good ole Music Zone!

I've always liked Judas Priest, but have never been a die hard fan. That is probably why I am not raving about this album (for the moment anyway!). I'm sure I'm gonna be the odd man out here, and most people will like the new album. Afterall, I seem to be the only person who likes Demolition, I think it's a great album. Each to his own I suppose! I will have to give Lochness another listen. It seems to be in the mold of a 'classic' song, but seemed completely daft to me!

I haven't watched the dvd yet,I assume it is with Rob Halford on vocals from when he rejoined JP?

Yeah, now why didnt i walk the extra few yards and go to music zone!!! lol
Nevermind!

Yeah the dvd is from the touring they did last year on thier "Re-united" stint! i think this dvd was filmed in spain or somewhere, anyway looks great shot on film and rob is on great form....they all seem to be, i havent watched it all myself yet! Im gonna crank it up 5.1 style with some tinnys as soon as i get the chance!

The saying each to his own is a good one, and i now know it must be true when you say that you liked "Demolition" paxoman! ..... ah well, each to his own lol !!

Im playing Lochness right now actually, while the subject matter of the song might seem daft (for a priest song, which i understand) i really like the structure of the song and i find the overall composition very impressive for such a long song, they keep it interesting, the song really has alot of "depth" ( yeah that was intended! lol)

I got it today, and I like it a lot. Was never a huge Priest fan, but that's not to say I haven't owned a tone of their stuff. I think it's a fine mix of old school/new school. Well done. I will be listening to it a lot. Halford is a god of course. A clunker or two, a few above average, and at least 5 or 6 songs I'd call really fucking good. All in all, as good as reunions get (I reference Brave New World here). Ironically the more ballady songs are the ones I'm digging most. A few pretty creative guitar riffs here and there, some real grinder-songs (in a good way), and, yes, a few that are pretty "by the book."

This will probably be my "main disc" for at least a month or so, maybe more. I like it, a lot.

....but, no, it's no Lionheart. That record kinda sets the standard for the next few years for tried-and-true-band-that-knows-its-roots-but-can-still-sound-vital-and-new-somehow. I I think I just set a record for dashes there. Sweet.

Still, it's a fine record, AOR that is.

Yeah -
Got my copy on Monday night! Good old Amazon!

I've listened to it 4-5 times so I don't really want to provide an opinion yet. I have a feeling the album is a 'grower' if you know what I mean?

However, first impressions - it is nothing that is going to suprise you, but it gives exactly what you want from Priest. Although, I would say it is more reminisent of Rob Halford's last solo album than PainKiller.
'Lochness' is very Spinal Tap in concept, but I did wake up this morning with the chorus playing in my brain, so that means it does the job!!

Apart from that, I can't really say what I think until a few more days or so has passed by whilst listening to it. And it certainly makes me look forward to seeing them in Birmingham next month!!

Some of the lead guitar work is jaw-dropping imho! Its gonna be a long while before i can get my head around some of that stuff!

Hey Nightwar! hows tricks ??

I thought it might be a 'grower' at first but after subsequent plays I find it just medicore. First 2 tracks are good but the rest of it is very unremarkable.

I'm sorry to say I preferred Jugulator (very underrated imo) and Demolition (patchy but far better than this).

Disappointing.

yeah Jugulator !!! Now that was an album one could laugh along to, the joke had worn quite thin for me by the time i got to Demolition though!

Anyone know what kind of reviews "Angel of Retribution" has been getting in the rock media ??? and what kind of scores ? or anyone know any good review sites for real metal in general ? Thanks!

I have to agree with Dirtysanchez.........oh and myself! AOR is a tad disappointing. If Ripper was singing on the album, everyone would say it is shit! But because it is Rob Halford, the album becomes great! It is not a crap album, but it is average. For me, Demolition has got far more better and memorable songs. If only Rob Halford had sung on Demolition, the album would have been one of Judas Priests finest! Well, I'm sure that is what would have happened! I already think it is a great album!

What did you guys think of the dvd ? i found the contents of the interviews to be a little boring and nothing that has'nt already been said (esp. Glenns tale of how Rob was knocked out by the rising up ramp thing and with all the smoke blah blah....yeah WE KNOW !!!)

However the live stuff was totally kick ass!!! not enough in only 7 songs but still awesome all the same! great crowd as well !!! Priest had them in the palm of their metal hand proper! :headbang:

Just listening to "Angel..." CD. I also like some songs like "Judas rising", "Demonizer" and "Hellrider". Actually "Deal with the devil" is ok too, even it's just an ordinary song. To me it's good after the first "slow" song. But I don't like "Revolution" and I agree that last song "Lochness" is really a filler, it's really annoying, especially the beginning riff. So the whole AOR album can't match the marvelousness of SAXON's "Lionheart" for sure...

Hell, Going to see JP live toningt in Helsinki! I still have great hopes and I don't mind hearings a couple of songs from the new album as well!

Ps. Read my SAXON-address topic.
Any Finnish people here..hehe?

All the tricks are cool, thanks Valanx! Hope you're doing OK, mate!
Only problem is that my home PC is pretty defunct at the moment, so I'm limited to when I can get onto the forum. Keep in touch, though, OK? And let us know how the band is going!

I've seen a few reviews on the Net about the JP album - they were all pretty much mediocre opinions, but I do think the album will be a 'Grower'!

Cool Nightwar - Sorry to hear about your pc i know just how tempremental they can be! Hope you get it sorted mate!

Hey Horseman! let us know how that gig went mate! im hoping to get tickets for manchester!!

"Angel of Retribution" is simply awesome! (some things are worth...saying again!)

I love the album as though it is a lost brother that ive waited 15 years to hear!

:headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang: :headbang:

New Saxon and Priest within 6 (or so) months of each other! what more can a metalhead ask for lol !!!

I cant really compare Lionheart to Angel as some here have (kinda) i dunno... i love my Priest and Saxon separetly....But Priest are the Metal Gods like! it has to be said !

Valanx - when you say it like that, it is kind of scary: 15 YEARS! Bloody Hell!

AOR has still to catch me, but most Priest stuff is like this for me. Albums like Screaming For Vengence, Defenders Of The Faith and (particularly) Turbo did not light my fire for some time, so I hope 'Angel' is going to be like this for me.
At the moment there isn't really a track that stands out. Currently my favourites are Deal With The Devil, Wheels Of Fire (should have been the single) and For What it's Worth.
Can't wait for the NEC gig! I will be in a celebrating mood as well - The gig is on the 19th March. I have my last day at work on the 18th and have a week off and begin a new job the week after! So much beer is required!

19th march ! you beat me to it Nightwar lol, il be seeing priest on the 22nd !!

I cannot wait!!!! i still cant believe im gonna be seeing Priest with Rob Halford!!!!

I'm sure to tell you how it was, Valanx! I've a standing ticket so I'm gonna get as close as possible! It is great that Rob Halford is back with the band, ain't it!

The new JP album is getting better the more I listen to it - Demonizer and Hellrider are definate songs which improve as you listen to them. The slower songs, Eulogy and Angel are nice breaks from the other songs and add a little depth to the album. The jury is still out for 'Lochness' - it's a nice song, but I don't think that it justifies its length and position as the albums closer. I don't think it turned out to be the epic track that the band obviously hoped for.
On a final note - 'Worth Fighting For' should have been the single.

Roll on the 19th!!!!!!

Just bought Angel Of Retribution. Fave tracks, deal with the devil, hellrider, judas rising, demonizer, and wheels of fire. I love the all the double drumming, great stuff :headbang: . Im not keen on the rest of the album though (too slow). I can't believe that anyone could say that Deal With The Devil is 'ordinary' :yow: if it is, then you can give me ordinary any day! I call it 'Fast Heavy Metal', which is my favourite type of music :kickass: :devil: :headbang: