ANGEL WITCH

princess_of_the_night2112

Goddess of Metal
May 23, 2005
Glasgow
valanx said:
Lmao! Thats pretty funny!!! Remind me again.....Just who the fuck are Angel Witch ????

Hahahahaha you're a total scream Valanx!!!!!!

Call yourself a rocker do you Emperor Valanx, well you should hang your head in shame, I canny believe you've never heard of the mighty Angel Witch. Their debut album is one of the best NWOBHM albums ever to have been made. You must go get it right now, in fact go get the reissued one with extra bonus tracks including the jawdroppingly awesome Baphomet. You'd love it, good fast heavy rock with cool satanic/witchy undertones. Right up your street Valanx lol!!!!!!

Anyway how many on here have got their first album and did any of youse ever see them live. Surprise surprise, I saw them a few times, 3 times in fact, the best concert being the one through in Edinburgh when it was 3 bands on that night - ANGEL WITCH, GIRLSCHOOL and TANK!!!!!!! NICE!!!!!!!! .

Yeah i've seen them a few times around 1980 81' once was with Saxon if my memory serves me right and The Tygers Of Pan Tang on the same bill.Baphomet is a top track it was on the first Metal For Muthas Lp along with Iron Maiden,Praying Mantis and a load of other bands that were never heard of again ie: Toad The Wet Sprocket and i'm not surprised with a shite name like that!

princess_of_the_night2112 said:

I canny believe you've never heard of the mighty Angel Witch. .

Angel Witch yes..I remember a song called Sweet Danger ..(???) is that correct? It is a good song......its I think 25 years ago Ive heard that song but still remember it..

Brilliant Midnightrider, another Angel Witch fan and you saw them a few times as well, excellent stuff. I saw them playing at Reading Festival as well one year and they were tremendous, they were definitely one of the highlights of that festival. Yip Baphomet is awesome, well I love all AW songs but that one is definitely one of my favs. I saw Tygers of Pan Tang and Praying Mantis on the same bill as well, at some Uni in Glasgow, both bands were brilliant. I'm still a huge Angel Witch fan and would love to see them back together again, I know they did play Wacken or somewhere like that a few years back, so I'm always hopeful that they might play again one day.

LOL Toad The Wet Sprocket, I always quite liked the name of that band. That song on Metal for Muthas, Blues in A, is a great song, not that heavy right enough, but a nice rock ballad. The EF Band is on that as well, I saw them too down in the Bungalow Bar, the same place I saw Diamond Head, it was just a wee backstreet boozer down the road from me but holy hell some of the bands that played there were mighty indeed.

In fact...I have that song over here..on cassette tape..its fully under dust....just looked it up, it has in fact stood in the charts here in the Netehrlands in 81..I blow the dust away and listen to it now , nice such old Philips compact cassette C-60, it still sounds good..:)

You're right Heavycelli, it is called Sweet Danger and its a brilliant song. It must have made an impression on you if you still remember it 25 years later. I'm going to have to stick on some Angel Witch in a minute, I think everysong on their first album is a classic, I don't think I could pick a favourite cos they are all superb. Free Man, Gorgon, Angel of Death, Confused, Devil's Tower and Angel Witch, are my favourites but that's practically the whole album!!!!!

midnightrider said:
I think the drummer in the EF band was Denis Duford's (Girlschool)Brother.Trivia fans!

Yeah that's right Midnightrider. I think I saw the EF band twice at the Bungalow, they were an excellent live band. Just stuck on Metal for Muthas there, I got the remastered CD about 9 months ago, love it and the MFM2 as well is brilliant. I'll listen to that one next and then some Angel Witch I think. I definitely am stuck in the 80s but it was the best time for music I think.

Cant remember if I told youse already but I was searching for Angel Witch patch on ebay, only ever saw 2 - one sold for £18 and the other for £15!!! However, about a month ago I finally managed to get one for £8, and it's stunning:-

09_1_b.JPG

And I would totally kill to get an Angel Witch tshirt. Time for a wee look on ebay.

midnightrider check out [url said:
www.nwobhm.com[/url]

Hells bells Midnightrider, quite a few blasts from the past there. I saw a few of those bands, well when I say a few, I mean about half on that list!!!!

These are the ones I saw:-

Angel Witch, Dark Heart, EF Band, Girl, Mama's Boys, Pallas, Raven, White Spirit, Witchfinder General, Samson (listenin to Riding with the Angels right now, damn fantastic) Saracen, Spider, Tank, Tygers of Pan Tang, Witchfynde, Vardis, Praying Mantis, More, Iron Maiden, Heavy Pettin, Girlschool, Saxon, Venom, Fist, Diamond Head, Def Leppard, Dark Star, Chasar, Dedringer, Glasgow, Jaguar, Lionheart, Red Alert, A II Z.

Wow the good old days indeed. It was brill then cos I used to go out and see bands at least 4 times a week back then.

How many on the list did you see Midnight. I was always massive Girlschool fan, saw them at least 5 times. Canny wait to see them again in November with Motorhead and would totally love it if they booted In Flames off the bill and put on Angel Witch instead - how mindblowing would that be - that would be the best ever concert I reckon. I saw Girlschool at the Apollo one time with Raven as support. That was a sensational concert, after the concert was finished, both bands came on for the encore and played about 4 songs together - absolute brilliance so it was.

Hahahahaha you're a total scream Valanx!!!!!!

Call yourself a rocker do you Emperor Valanx, well you should hang your head in shame, I canny believe you've never heard of the mighty Angel Witch.

Now then, you may have taken me out of context my little NWOBHM stuck in the past friend, i know who Angel Witch are, when i said who the fuck are they, i meant in a compared to SAXON, JUDAS PRIEST, IRON MAIDEN, SLAYER, ACCEPT kind of way!!

I actually like the name Angel Witch and remember hearing them when i was a little metal n00b in the early 80s......But lots of bands have come and gone since then!!!!

lol

Hells bells Midnightrider, quite a few blasts from the past there. I saw a few of those bands, well when I say a few, I mean about half on that list!!!!

These are the ones I saw:-

Angel Witch, Dark Heart, EF Band, Girl, Mama's Boys, Pallas, Raven, White Spirit, Witchfinder General, Samson (listenin to Riding with the Angels right now, damn fantastic) Saracen, Spider, Tank, Tygers of Pan Tang, Witchfynde, Vardis, Praying Mantis, More, Iron Maiden, Heavy Pettin, Girlschool, Saxon, Venom, Fist, Diamond Head, Def Leppard, Dark Star, Chasar, Dedringer, Glasgow, Jaguar, Lionheart, Red Alert, A II Z.

Wow the good old days indeed. It was brill then cos I used to go out and see bands at least 4 times a week back then.

How many on the list did you see Midnight. I was always massive Girlschool fan, saw them at least 5 times. Canny wait to see them again in November with Motorhead and would totally love it if they booted In Flames off the bill and put on Angel Witch instead - how mindblowing would that be - that would be the best ever concert I reckon. I saw Girlschool at the Apollo one time with Raven as support. That was a sensational concert, after the concert was finished, both bands came on for the encore and played about 4 songs together - absolute brilliance so it was.
Yeah i saw most of those bands too.I used to go to Neil Kays bandwagon regulary and to the White Hart pub in Southall that had a weekly rock night,where they usually had a band on eg: Spider, Sledgehammer,Mothers Ruin.There was always something on most nights of the week.These days all the pubs seem to put on are tribute bands which are ok,but what about new original talent that's why the NWOBHM was good it spawned so many bands(yes some were shit)but look what bands came from it Maiden, Saxon,Leppard,Diamond Head.many of which have influenced todays major metal bands.God i sound like an old fart going on about "The good Ol Days" :headbang:

How many on the list did you see Midnight. I was always massive Girlschool fan, saw them at least 5 times. Canny wait to see them again in November with Motorhead and would totally love it if they booted In Flames off the bill and put on Angel Witch instead - how mindblowing would that be - that would be the best ever concert I reckon. I saw Girlschool at the Apollo one time with Raven as support. That was a sensational concert, after the concert was finished, both bands came on for the encore and played about 4 songs together - absolute brilliance so it was.[/QUOTE]

I love Girlschhool seen them quite a few times over the years,met them after show a couple of times too.I remember once after a show at the Hammy odeon(cant remember which one)when i was a wee nipper i met them outside and they were happy to pose for pics and chat to fans,even got a peck on the cheek off kim(i did'nt wash for a week)

midnightrider said:
God i sound like an old fart going on about "The good Ol Days" :headbang:

LOL yes but it's better to be an old "crusty" Midnight rather than being a young buck just now cos you would never have seen all those amazing bands. And you've met Girlschool - wow I'm impressed. I totally worship Girlschool, they are fantastic. When I see Motorhead in November, I'm really only going along mainly for Girlschool - if Girlschool weren't playing, I probably wouldn't bother going to the concert. Are you seeing them in Nov. I'd totally love to meet them, in fact I'm going to email them just now and see if I can organise something. That would be cool getting backstage to meet Girlschool and if I was lucky enough to get backstage, I would probably bump into Motorhead. Excellent, could get my photo taken with both bands.

Im not being critical or sarcastic here Princess, believe it or believe it not. But i was just curious, do you actually like or listen to any newer bands than the NWOBHM era ??? Seriously there are tons and tons of great modern european Metal bands kicking ass today, now....In the present !!!!!

To name but a few:

Arch Enemy
Masterplan
Dimmu Borgir
Thunderstone
Hammerfall
Graveworm
Within Temptation

valanx said:
do you actually like or listen to any newer bands than the NWOBHM era ??? Seriously there are tons and tons of great modern european Metal bands kicking ass today, now....In the present !!!!!

To name but a few:

Arch Enemy
Masterplan
Dimmu Borgir
Thunderstone
Hammerfall
Graveworm
Within Temptation

Well im youngish (32) and i don't listen to any of those bands, i hate all these new modern so called metal bands!! I like power metal, and new albums by bands that have been around for a long time, but i HATE all the new bands, i just don't 'get it'. I like decent lead guitar solos, and some melody in my music. I don't like some of the strained death / goth metal style vocals either :confused:

Angel witch are a band i think which i would love to hear again.I think i used to own a tape by them but for some reason i have not listened to for the best part of 20 years,i must get round to buying the first album again is out on cd?

CRUSADER747 said:
Well im youngish (32) and i don't listen to any of those bands, i hate all these new modern so called metal bands!! I like power metal, and new albums by bands that have been around for a long time, but i HATE all the new bands, i just don't 'get it'. I like decent lead guitar solos, and some melody in my music. I don't like some of the strained death / goth metal style vocals either :confused:

Yeah man, dont get me wrong, alot of those bands i mentioned have been around for a while, its just the newer stuff they are doing is really modern sounding and fresh without selling out, following trends and copying the likes of slipknot, linkin park and korn etc. As alot of the newer american metal bands sound (to me) like they are doing.
Im also pretty traditional at heart in what i like, decent lead guitar work and good compositions as you said, but i do like my black metal growls and shrieks from time to time as well. :cool:

Thats fair enough Valanx, im not knockin you or anything . As ive said before, "each to there own".
I don't hear many new bands these days, but i can honestly say, i don't like ANYTHING that i have heard so far!!
Which is a shame really, mabey there will be some new traditional or melodic power / speed metal bands in the future??? (fat chance i bet) :erk: