Greetings fellow Saxon fans

princess_of_the_night2112

Goddess of Metal
May 23, 2005
Glasgow
Just joined today and thought I'd say a quick hi to you all. Been a Saxon fan since the mid 80s and have seen them 3 times (twice at Glasgow Apollo and last October saw them again at King Tut's - and believe me they brought the roof down at Tut's - they were mindblowing). My fav band of all time is Rush, with AC/DC, Floyd, Zep and Sabbath not too far behind. I'm still heavily into NWOBHM and totally worship Saxon, Girlschool, Angel Witch, Diamond Head etc. Over the past few months I've been lucky enough to catch a great load of gigs starting with the Rush 30th Anniversary Tour in September, then 2 weeks later Saxon, Budgie (anyone into them at all, they were AWESOME at the Renfrew Ferry), Whitesnake, Thin Lizzy, Scorpions & Judas Priest - also a few trib bands, Whole Lotta Led, Australian Pink Floyd and MacFloyd. Seeing a band called Open Hand in 2 weeks, then at the Renfrew Ferry in the summer The Sabbath, Hells Bells and BLACKFOOT. Also seeing Magnum in September, Saxon in October in Edinburgh following by Motorhead & Girlschool in November (YEEEHAAAAAA). Might also be heading to London 4th November to catch DIAMOND HEAD/PRAYING MANTIS/WITCHFYNDE/JAGUAR/BRONZ at The Astoria - that'll be a sensational concert. So as you can see, I do like my rock!!!!

Welcome, Princess2112!

You're not alone! Along with Saxon, I was brought up with - and love - AC/DC, Floyd and Sabbath!
A particular favourite of mine is Rush! Those guys are Musical Gods! I caught them on their 30th Anniversary tour at the NEC. Man! 'Red Barchetta' still moves me in ways that I can't explain!
You'll feel at home here, so once again, Welcome and keep posting!!

Thanks for the welcome everyone.

Nightwar about that Rush gig, I'm not kidding that was the best night of my life. Just how sensation were they - out of this world. I got my tickets (3rd row from the stage, Geddy's side :worship: , WOW WEEEEE) about 6 months before the concert and thought about it every single day, so by the time the 15th September came I was totally whipped up into a frenzy. That was my third time seeing the mighty Rush and that morning my stomach was churning just with sheer excitement. By lunchtime I actually thought I was going to throw up, again just with nerves, don't understand it cos I wasn't like that at the previous two concerts. By 3 O'clock, I was starting to shake uncontrollably and I thought, no hang on I need to get a grip here. Then I remembered that I had a bottle of champagne in the kitchen, so before I knew it I'd drank the whole bottle, then headed to the Solid Rock Cafe in Glasgow where I had about another 4 drinks. Onto the SECC where I had another few before going into the hall. When I walked in and realised how close I was to the stage, it's a wonder you didn't hear me scream cos I was only about 6 feet from the stage. AWESOME. Rush were simply mindblowing. I was always into the more early Rush stuff and The Trees, Red Barchetta, 2112, Working Man, Tom Sawyer, Xanadu etc were absolutely brilliant but see when they played Animate and Dreamline honestly I was nearly in tears, they were that good.. Without word of a lie, I lost my voice for 3 days after that concert with all the singing and my hands were red raw with too much clapping, feet in agony with standing for 3 and a half hours, but still I doubt if I'll ever be at a better concert as the Rush 30th Anniversary Tour.

Nightwar do you have a copy of the 30th anniversary? I got one sent to me about month before the gig. It was recorded on the first night of the tour at Nashville - it's the entire show on 3 discs - the recording is amazing quality, close your eyes and you would think you were back at the SECC or the NEC in your case. It's superb stuff and when I got it I listened to it constantly for about 5 months. If you want a copy just let me know, I got plenty of blanks, so it's not a problem. Every Rush fan should have a copy of this - its the best Rush you'll ever hear.

Princess, Hi there and Welcome! I dont need to bow or kneel or anything do i ??

Never really listened to Rush very much...Are they like an old school version of Threshold? ive heard the two bands compaired quite often, i really like Threshold! In fact i think il put some on now!!

Cheers!

Valanx - I have not heard any Threshold, so I don't know. However, What I do is that you have to check out Rush sometime, Mate!! I can understand that they are not too everyone's taste, but I have a feeling you would quite like it! If you wanna check them out, I suggest you get '2112' or 'Moving Pictures'. They're not necessarily the best Rush albums, but they tend to be the albums that convert people, if you know what I mean? Also, their recent 'Feedback' album (60's & 70's covers) is worth checking out!
Princess:
Your Royal Highness - Bloody Hell! You must be some kind of Rush fan! Neil Peart would frown and be concerned with just how drunk you required to be for the gig!
Unfortunately, I was driving so I was on Coke! I was in a seated area, but I stood up (forcing all the others to comply) through the entire 2-part gig! The best thing was that I was on the front row, nearest the stage on Alex's side, so my view was amazing and I still felt part of the gig!
I also love the early stuff, but I think the band have really done well with their more recent material (Counterparts, Test For Echo,Vapour Trails).
I've seen Geddy and Co on their previous visit to the UK - for 'Roll The Bones' 1992. I just had to make the anniversary gig because I have a feeling that it may have been the last time Rush play in the UK.
Highlights for me, of what I can remember:
'Red Barchetta', 'Bravado', 'Xanadu', 'Limelight', 'La Villa Strangiato', 'Resist', 'Working Man' and, of course, the '2112' stuff!
And one of my all-time favourites, 'Subdivisions'!
The only song I thought they should have replaced was 'Red Sector A' - I was a little suprised that this was in the set-list.
About the DVD - I'm interested, thanks!
Check your 'Private Messages' in the next few days, OK? We can arrange stuff like that.

Welcome P.O.T.N. (2112) don't forget Saxon are playing the Liquid Rooms Edinburgh
(19/10/05) I've heard thats a top venue and I was going to the originally scheduled gig, we'll have to wait and see if I can make it now.

nightwar said:
Valanx - I have not heard any Threshold, so I don't know. However, What I do is that you have to check out Rush sometime, Mate!! I can understand that they are not too everyone's taste, but I have a feeling you would quite like it! If you wanna check them out, I suggest you get '2112' or 'Moving Pictures'. They're not necessarily the best Rush albums, but they tend to be the albums that convert people, if you know what I mean? Also, their recent 'Feedback' album (60's & 70's covers) is worth checking out!

I will take it under advisement my friend and will check them out, i know my dad used to like them, so maybe i should question him about them also!

As for Threshold they have done a fair few albums since the early 90's they are a british band, i seriously suggest you check out the album "Subsurface " from last year its awesome!!!

Cheers!

Fingers said:
Welcome P.O.T.N. (2112) don't forget Saxon are playing the Liquid Rooms Edinburgh
(19/10/05) I've heard thats a top venue and I was going to the originally scheduled gig, we'll have to wait and see if I can make it now.

Hi Fingers, yes I know Saxon are playing thru in Edinburgh in October. I was going to see them in March when they played the Liquid Rooms but that was cancelled and I was totally gutted. I'm hoping to make it in October but I usually go abroad on holiday around about that time, so if I'm not on holiday I'll definitely be at the Liquid Rooms. It's quite a cool wee venue, small but quite atmospheric is quite a good way to describe it, so no doubt Saxon will bring the roof down!!!