Angra Just Devistated Brooklyn!!!

Yngvai X

Dark Emperor
Jul 18, 2002
Woodland Park, NJ
www.myspace.com
Wow, I just came back from one of the greatest concerts Ive ever been to. I got there really early (despite getting lost and stuck in rush hour traffic in the midst of torrential rain) and wound up catching the end of Angra's soundcheck (no one really seemed to care that i just walked back in...afterwards they started getting strict about it). I was SUPPOSED to meet DrumRman at the show but I didnt see him at all (where were ya dude?) but i got a pleasant suprise in seeing one of my best friends from Berklee had taken a train down from Boston to catch the show. I also made a new friend in BG forum member Yeti of Chaos who flew over from Germany JUST to see the NJ and NY SyX/BG shows and the Angra show as well (really hardcore!). The guys from Angra were walking around the crowd all during the opening acts (there were 3 or 4) and were the friendliest guys in the world to everyone (I got photos with every member but Aquiles). As a guitarist I was also happy to see the Kiko Loureiro guitar solo tab book on sale and nabbed that one up quickly :). Eventually 12:30 rolled around and Angra (finally) took the stage - after the first half of V was played as warm up music :). Before I get into details, here is the setlist, the order is to the best of my recolection.

Nova era
Acid Rain
Angels Cry
Heroes of Sand
Millennium Sun
Metal Icarus
Make Believe
bass solo
drum solo
Unholy Wars
brazilian percussion thing
Hunters and Prey
Rebirth
guitar solo (Kiko)
Live and Learn
Nothing to Say

encore:
Carry On

First, let me say that Angra is THE best band in terms of being DEAD FUCKING ON I have ever seen out of anyone. Edu hit *every* note cleanly and clearly, including the stratospheric ones from the Matos-era songs, which I was curious to see if he was able to do (and holy shit did he hit them!!!). Kiko and Rafael are the best guitar duo there ever was in any metal band. And to those of you who think that Rafael just plays rhythm while Kiko solos all the time WRONG. Rafael takes a good number of leads too, and shreds his ass off at the same time. Kiko just happens to get most of the leads, and also is the guy who does the really berserk stuff (more on that later). In any other band Rafael would be the one and only lead guitarist. Every song was great, there was a breakdown in Metal Icarus (or was it Angels Cry?) where Edu got the crowd really pumped. My personal favorites were Live and Learn, Rebirth, Carry On, Nothing to Say, and Angels Cry.

I want to mention the solo spots, because this is where I got to see how good, musically, the guys in this band are. First of all, Filipe Andrioli is THE SHIT! The only metal bass player I can think of who is at his level is John Myung, and even Myung can't do that blazing funk slaping Filipe started doing. If that wasn't enough, Aquiles Priester demonstrated how crazy of a drummer he was (though I think, as with most drum solos, it did go on a bit long). The highlight of the solo spots for me though, was Kiko. He is probably the most underrated of all the shredders out there today (not a lot of people really seem to mention him it seems). The only other guitarist I have seen live that has been as fluid and precise as him is Romeo (though he doesnt quite reach the speeds Romeo does, he sure is fuckin fast enough to burn any of the Shrapnel guys). I was particularly blown away by his tapping, especially when he started using multiple fingers (middle, ring, and sometimes pinky too), eventually switching to a clean tone and doing Stanley Jordan style touch technique, and ending with an "Icarus Dream Suite" inspired neoclassical shred over a droning Ebm based progression from the keyboardist. Another great suprise was when every member broke out a percussion instrument and did a really awsome brazilian percussion thing (eventually leading into Hunters and Prey I *think*).

The show ended at 2:30 AM but damn was it worth seeing. I think Angra has finally been cemented as one of my "top 3" bands alongside Symphony X and Blind Guardian, who I will be seeing again tomorrow night at the World :).

Thanks for the review. We missed them here in The Netherlands because the anouched gig was canceld :(

I agree that Angra is one of the best bands out there. I LOVE their latest album. Edu is fast become one of my favorite singers. Damn! Now I am even more impatient to see them.

Rafael is the genius behind that band, all those amazing arrangements that make Angra so good (specially during the solos) are all Bittencourt's work. Andre Matos used to deliver those to back when he was with the band, and you can still hear it in Shaman, I never thought I would say this but new Angra + Shaman >>>>>>>>>> old Angra.

PEACE...

no he means the club was blasting it before angra went on stage :) (joe from october thorns was the sound guy that night and not only is he a kickass soundguy but he's a prog metal fan and a half!)

kickass review... i couldn't have said it better myself. they were the friendliest band i have ever met and their level of musicianship was just.... amazing! by the way, what did you think of twilight odyssey?

Originally posted by Petethedrummer
im so pissed i missed the show i wanted to go cause i live on long island, but right now im in college in PA so i couldnt make it. Did see symphony x in NJ though. w00t

I too was hoping for a PA show from Angra.

I really like Angra. They record a lot into their studio songs, so you pick up more, the more you listen. Can anybody offer a brief history of this band? Where did Andre go? I am curious. Thank you.

Andre & the other 2 founding members of Angra left after the 'Fireworks' album to form a new band entitled Shaman. Their debut album - 'Ritual' - was released maybe 5-6 months ago to very high critical acclaim and is supposed to be very good (I haven't heard it yet).

Originally posted by justHerb
I was told that Angra had three more songs on their set list all simply titled "cover song" tghat they didn't get to play. Too bad, because they've been closing with Number of the Beast lately.

not anymore man, lately they had been closing with Ozzy's Crazy Train ;)

Originally posted by Pharoah
I really like Angra. They record a lot into their studio songs, so you pick up more, the more you listen. Can anybody offer a brief history of this band? Where did Andre go? I am curious. Thank you.

Andre Matos(vocals), Luís Mariutti(bass) ans Ricardo Confessori(drums), former members of Angra have left the band 2 years ago and started Shaman, with Luís brother, Hugo, playing the guitar

recently they released their first record, Ritual

more info about these bands in
www.shamanonline.com.br
www.angra.net

Hey, lots of Iron Maiden BBrs here uh?? And R*O*C*K*S is from the Angra BB.

To the guy asking about Angra history:

Angra was formed in 1990 if I am not mistaken, and they released Angels Cry in 91 or 92. In 96 they released Holy Land and in 98 they released Fireworks.

André Matos was formerly the singer of the VERY POPULAR in Brasil band VIPER, wich released two albuns with Matos before he left in 90 (Soldiers of Sunrise and Theather of Fate). All the band members of Viper were 16 when they released SOS and 18 when they released TOF in 89. Really young for SUCH MASTERFUL records!

Actually, a song in Theather of Fate became the ANTHEMN of Brasilian Heavy Metal. The song is Living For the Night. You will find it on Kazaa. André Matos accent was a bit thicker by then (the guy was only 18), even so, you should enjoy it. Very cool song.