Another D Activator question

DimeRazor7

New Metal Member
Nov 28, 2009
Columbus, Ohio
Hey Chris,

Ive been trying to decide between a few dimarzio pickups. Since u use D Activators, i need to ask a question. Although the d activators are based on an active design, do they sound similar to other active 7 string pickups. Mainly, do they sound similar to the EMG 7 string. Ur answer would be extremely helpful.

Hey Chris,

Ive been trying to decide between a few dimarzio pickups. Since u use D Activators, i need to ask a question. Although the d activators are based on an active design, do they sound similar to other active 7 string pickups. Mainly, do they sound similar to the EMG 7 string. Ur answer would be extremely helpful.

Hey dimerazor

I can't really.answer that because I was never a fan of emg's but they were created as a passive version of them, and that is why its so funny I like them so much, .... go figure.

Okay, imagine an EMG 7 string pickup, but it sounds way richer, bigger, and better. Oh, and you don't have to cut bigger holes in your guitar either. What's what the 7 string D Activator is all about.

Don't make me go all Marcus PSP on you now. Getcha game on!!!

The D-Activators do replicate the actives well, including the harmonics and even that kind of limiting effect when the pickups are pushed really hard. I have to ask, though - if you listen to a lot of EMG players, the palm-muted parts don't hit with a percussive sound, but this almost dampened, electronic kind of sound (listen to The Air That I Breathe by All That Remains to hear a great example of what I'm talking about). Do the D-Activators replicate that, too, or do they give a percussive mute like a standard passive humbucker?

All of the balls, none of the shrill. Imagine the difference between being stabbed to death by an incredibly sharp shortsword (EMG) versus being bludgeoned to death by a really heavy maul (D Activator).

To offer a more direct answer, the D Activators have more of a percussive ballsy sound like a passive pickup.

Awesome, awesome. The only thing I didn't like about EMGs was the ugly muting sound. If the D-Activator's don't have that, then those might be the next pickups I look into. Thanks for the help.

Oh yeah, you know that sound. That overly cutting one that doesn't have a lot of dynamics? Pretty much just "loud and louder"? Yeah, that one.
ives
I run passives now (DiMarzios) and they sound great. I had a guitar with EMGs a couple of years ago, and for low tuned rock and metal it's probably the best choice. For everything else, nah, not my kind of thing. Passives just work so much better, imo.