Another day, another shooting. Welcome to America.

May 7, 2002
The amount of gun-related injuries and deaths in the United States is staggering. It makes terrorism seem like tee-ball compared to firearms being the all star players in MLB.

It's hard to say what way to go now. Even if you ban guns, there are so many out there now that I don't think it would really matter. The same problems will still exist.

It will just become harder for law abiding citizens to obtain firearms legally. Getting rid of guns doesn't get to the root causes of why people want to cause harm to others. And even if you do get rid of every single gun out there, people will use other means to carry out their actions. If someone is determined to cause harm, they will.

It's an effed up society we live in these days. :(

you are never going to control guns in the states...there are just too many of them...if they got banned the black market would be huge for them.

People say also that the mental health system needs to be better. That will never change because god forbid you tell your boss that you think your co-worker has some issues. Then the finger pointing and ruining peoples lives because someone said they were crazy and ended up being not.

I think there are just more people depressed and snapping because of stress in the world we live in now...it gets worse and worse each year.

These shootings are horrible, make no mistake, but it always bothers me when people cling to wanting to get rid of guns when our military and police kill way more (innocent) people and consistently abuse their power. If we should be suppressing anything, it should be THEM.

That being said though, I don't think it should be harder to get a car than a gun. Just because people have the constitutional right to bare arms - it doesn't make them OBLIGATED to bear arms.

I like guns. I enjoy shooting targets and feeling the subtle kick of a .223 against my shoulder. I've been debating for months about what gun I want to buy next: a nice handgun, another rifle (probably a 22-250 for coyote, and varmint duty), or a shotgun (but which gauge: 10, 12, 14?).

For those that think I'm anti-gun, you should probably know that I've shot well over 1,000 rounds this year (which isn't much at all, I've worked too many 70+ hour weeks).

That being said, way too many douche-bags are getting their hands on firearms, and then doing some righteously stupid shit. Tighter restrictions won't eliminate the black market (I mean, it's called the black market for a reason, no?) but... restrictions will drive up costs, and that will greatly impact the low-level criminals. The perps that are organized will have the same access in the states as they do throughout Europe, Asia, etc... but the cost will separate the wannabes from the real thing.

This isn't merely a mental illness issue, though that is a small part of the problem - American's are selfish fxcks, just look at our healthcare and the tone of our political rhetoric.

What should we do? Fxck if I know, but the first thing we should do is stop evading facts with fallacies. :)

Tighter restrictions won't eliminate the black market (I mean, it's called the black market for a reason, no?) but... restrictions will drive up costs, and that will greatly impact the low-level criminals.

It'll also drive up costs for the low-income people who need them for personal defense. Serious criminals will continue to gain them through the same means they do now. Folks like first timers, who aren't expecting to live through it, will continue to find a way to fund their dream.

There really is no right way to change this. But I am on the stress and twisted panties bandwagon. It's an easy way to solve one's issues without taking personal responsibility for them.

People say also that the mental health system needs to be better. That will never change because god forbid you tell your boss that you think your co-worker has some issues. Then the finger pointing and ruining peoples lives because someone said they were crazy and ended up being not.

11fbe1d02cdb6ce8.gif

Right? I mean, it has to be.

The amount of gun-related injuries and deaths in the United States is staggering. It makes terrorism seem like tee-ball compared to firearms being the all star players in MLB.

Here's what I learned about gun violence in America: after Sandy Hook, we did nothing. Children were literally slaughtered and that wasn't enough to make us take a serious look at our problem with gun violence.

We aren't ever going to change.

That alone ought to make us rage, but instead people will talk about mental health (like its an either/or situation) or bearing arms against a tyrannical government (like the government doesn't have helicopters, tanks and motherfucking missiles).

You can tell your kids they have a right to bear matches, but after the first time they burn the house down you'd take that right away. That's where we are as a nation. We're a bunch of idiot children who can't be trusted with the deathsticks we can't seem to get enough of. It's time for our parents to take the fucking things away.

I believe that if we made a serious attempt at gun control - i.e. making owning anything other than hunting rifles as hard as possible, with licensing, training and strict control - we could start to address our problem. It would also help if we made the penalties for using a gun in the commission of a crime as severe as, say, possessing drugs while black. If we took some drastic measures, we might actually be able to join the rest of the first world countries in our gun death rate.

But I'm also a realist, so I know none of this will actually happen. We love our goddamned guns too much. And if a classroom or two is slaughtered, well apparently that's the price we're willing to pay to be John fucking Rambo in our own minds.

Here's what I learned about gun violence in America: after Sandy Hook, we did nothing. Children were literally slaughtered and that wasn't enough to make us take a serious look at our problem with gun violence.
And thank goodness. When you make laws based on exceptionally emotional events you get exceptionally stupid laws. Many people actually wanted to arm teachers after that happened, as if that wouldn't cause way more deaths than the occasional looney.

And thank goodness. When you make laws based on exceptionally emotional events you get exceptionally stupid laws. Many people actually wanted to arm teachers after that happened, as if that wouldn't cause way more deaths than the occasional looney.

While I agree with you, the reason why such overreactions happen is when not enough has been done for years for a problem, and people eventually decide enough is enough.

We do need to have serious discussions about guns in our society and manage them in an intelligent way. Unfortunately, the NRA and the FUD the members believe shuts down all discussion.

Pretty much nailz it.

yep!!! :)

I really like this comment from the video's comment section:

About 40 years ago, drunk driving was a huge problem in America, but we didn't just throw our hands in the air and say "people are gonna drink and drive anyway so fuck it" did we? No. We cracked down on it, enforced strict laws against it, and since then the number of people killed by drunk drivers has plummeted. We must do the same thing with guns. I'm all for banning guns but I realize that's not realistic. All I know is we need some serious new gun control laws. Whether people like it or not, theres a huge problem with guns in our country. Open your fucking eyes

I'm not sure if we need more laws, or rather better enforcement of existing laws. Better background and mental health checks seem like obvious next steps...and I believe that we should treat firearms like we treat other potentially lethal hazards, i.e. transportation, and consider adopting a pro-active approach to gun ownership. Driving a car requires the potential driver they've mastered a certain skill set. But the requirements for a CDL are much higher. Flying a single prop during the day (in good weather) requires a minimal skill set.. but adding instruments, mult-props, passengers, and then upgrading to larger and faster planes requires an ever expansive set of skills (not too mention thousands of hours of flight time).

The greater the risk, the higher the requirements. It should be the same for owning a firearm.

As a gun owner I railed against any kind of gun control for years. But after so many school shootings, workplace massacres and such I've changed my tune drastically. We NEED to do something in this country. Even if we just start with assault rifles. I don't care what your argument is, no one, myself included, needs an AK47 or an AR-15 with a two hundred round drum magazine. Do I own one, yes. Do I need one , no. I would gladly give up all my guns if it meant no more parents burying there young children because some deranged asshole with gun decided to take out his insanity on the general public.

As a gun owner I railed against any kind of gun control for years. But after so many school shootings, workplace massacres and such I've changed my tune drastically. We NEED to do something in this country. Even if we just start with assault rifles. I don't care what your argument is, no one, myself included, needs an AK47 or an AR-15 with a two hundred round drum magazine. Do I own one, yes. Do I need one , no. I would gladly give up all my guns if it meant no more parents burying there young children because some deranged asshole with gun decided to take out his insanity on the general public.

Wrong answer. Long guns are a tiny fraction of gun violence. Handle handguns and you're well on the way.

Do we have a problem with gun violence? The answer is yes. Is there a way to curtail this violence while still adhereing to the constitution? I don't know. I am an avid gun owner, I have guns not only for self defense, but also because I like to go shooting on weekends, plus I have to have a sidearm, and rifle for my duties in the Texas State Guard and I do have multiple 30 rd magazines for the rifle and 17rd magazines for the sidearms I don't think anyone needs any magazine larger than 30 rd or even 20rd. Plus people have to get it out of their minds that the letters AR in AR-15 stands not for Assault Rilfe, but ARmalite a gun manufacturer. Guns themselves are not the problem, the problem is the person that pulls the trigger. I have been to numerous gun shows with thousands of weapons of all sorts on display, and not once has any of those weapons jumped up and shoot someone, same with going to the shooting range, the only thing that gets shot are a bunch of paper targets, and at out Guard meetings there are a couple hundred Rifles and side arms and still no one gets shot. So the problem is not the inanimate gun but the person who is holding that weapon. I for one think there should be expanded background checks to try and weed out people that under no circumstance should have a weapon, and how can this be done? I don't know, it needs to be thought out and debated and a plan formulated by people in the know, not just politicians(most of them have no clue which end of a gun is what). It is not the law abiding citizen that is at fault, it is the criminal and the mentally ill. Still no matter what you do the criminal element and those deadest on killing someone will get a gun somehow, it's not like Diane Feinstein said "If an armed robber enters a room where no one else has a weapon he will put his weapon down and leave" never gonna happen, that is a paradise for him/her. If the gun background check law was obeyed by every business or person selling a weapon that in itself would cut down on some of the wrong people getting guns. I bought my guns at the Ft Bliss PX and the process was about 2 hours, of forms and then you had to wait for the background check to come back they checked city, state, federal. Then you could buy the gun, and when you left someone from the gun dept carried the gun for you to your car, and you could not buy ammunition from the PX at the same time you bought the gun. Yes there is a problem with gun violence, there is also a problem with violence of all sorts. I don't know what the answer is, but I know it is not making owning a gun illegal(that really worked well on drugs and alcohol during prohibition). There are going to be some who will disagree and probably hate me for my beliefs, won't be the first time.

Do we have a problem with gun violence? The answer is yes. Is there a way to curtail this violence while still adhereing to the constitution? I don't know. I am an avid gun owner, I have guns not only for self defense, but also because I like to go shooting on weekends, plus I have to have a sidearm, and rifle for my duties in the Texas State Guard and I do have multiple 30 rd magazines for the rifle and 17rd magazines for the sidearms I don't think anyone needs any magazine larger than 30 rd or even 20rd. Plus people have to get it out of their minds that the letters AR in AR-15 stands not for Assault Rilfe, but ARmalite a gun manufacturer. Guns themselves are not the problem, the problem is the person that pulls the trigger. I have been to numerous gun shows with thousands of weapons of all sorts on display, and not once has any of those weapons jumped up and shoot someone, same with going to the shooting range, the only thing that gets shot are a bunch of paper targets, and at out Guard meetings there are a couple hundred Rifles and side arms and still no one gets shot. So the problem is not the inanimate gun but the person who is holding that weapon. I for one think there should be expanded background checks to try and weed out people that under no circumstance should have a weapon, and how can this be done? I don't know, it needs to be thought out and debated and a plan formulated by people in the know, not just politicians(most of them have no clue which end of a gun is what). It is not the law abiding citizen that is at fault, it is the criminal and the mentally ill. Still no matter what you do the criminal element and those deadest on killing someone will get a gun somehow, it's not like Diane Feinstein said "If an armed robber enters a room where no one else has a weapon he will put his weapon down and leave" never gonna happen, that is a paradise for him/her. If the gun background check law was obeyed by every business or person selling a weapon that in itself would cut down on some of the wrong people getting guns. I bought my guns at the Ft Bliss PX and the process was about 2 hours, of forms and then you had to wait for the background check to come back they checked city, state, federal. Then you could buy the gun, and when you left someone from the gun dept carried the gun for you to your car, and you could not buy ammunition from the PX at the same time you bought the gun. Yes there is a problem with gun violence, there is also a problem with violence of all sorts. I don't know what the answer is, but I know it is not making owning a gun illegal(that really worked well on drugs and alcohol during prohibition). There are going to be some who will disagree and probably hate me for my beliefs, won't be the first time.

"There are going to be some who will disagree and probably hate me for my beliefs"

It's more likely there will be some who will disagree and will roll their eyes at your drama.