Virginia shooting

Bacchante

The Dreaming Mind
Mar 14, 2004
Not Nevermore related, but important.

This event is sickening. I feel for the students and their families, and I wish this senseless killing would end.

My jewelry teacher was horrified because she found out her daughter was in a classroom opposite to the rooms where the students were killed. We both ran around trying to find a television so we could see what was happening, but there were none on campus...

There's going to be more news about this at 4pm

By Brendan Bush

BLACKSBURG, Va. (Reuters) - At least 32 people were killed and more than two dozen wounded at Virginia Tech university on Monday in the deadliest campus shooting in U.S. history, media said.

Fox News, CNN and the student-run university newspaper gave the death toll as 32. Officials earlier said at least 22 people were killed.

The rampage by what police believed was a lone gunman took place in two separate areas, first at a dormitory as students had begun criss-crossing the sprawling campus for morning classes, and then about two hours later at an engineering and science hall a half-mile away.

The attacks sparked panic and chaos.

Witnesses told CNN that some students were hurt jumping out the windows of the classroom building to escape the gunfire.

"This is a tragedy of monumental proportions," Virginia Tech president Charles Steger told reporters.

Virginia Tech campus police chief Wendell Finchum said the suspected gunman was dead and that police were trying to determine whether he killed himself or was shot by officers.

"At this time we believe it's only one gunman," said Finchum. Officials did not have a motive for the attack and did not immediately know if the gunman was a student.

Students told CNN there were multiple bomb threats to the campus in the last few weeks. Two of the threats were aimed at the university's science and engineering school.

A U.S. Department of Homeland Security spokesman said there was no indication of terrorism but that it would be part of the investigation.

President George W. Bush was "horrified" by the shooting, White House spokeswoman Dana Perino said.

"He was horrified and his immediate reaction was one of deep concern for the families of the victims, the victims themselves, the students, the professors and all of the people of Virginia who have dealt with this shocking incident," she said.

A student journalist's video of the chaos was replayed repeatedly on U.S. television networks, showing people scurrying around the campus and volleys of shots ringing out.

The death toll was worse than a massacre at the University of Texas in Austin on Aug. 1, 1966, when Charles Whitman, a 25-year-old student, killed 13 people and wounded 31 in a 90-minute spree. Whitman had killed his mother and wife the night before.

TWO HOURS BETWEEN ATTACKS

The first shooting at Virginia Tech, a state university, was reported to campus police at about 7:15 a.m. (1115 GMT) in West Ambler Johnston Hall, a dormitory housing some 900 students.

It was followed by more shooting at Norris Hall, site of the science and engineering school that has given the university much of its fame as a leading technical institute in the United States.

During the two hours after the first shooting some students had ventured out again. University police were investigating the first shooting at the dormitory when they got word of gunfire at the classroom building.

Student Justin Merrifield told Reuters he was outside West Ambler dormitory at 9 a.m. when he saw police and a crying student but did not realize the magnitude of the crisis until he arrived at his 10 a.m. class.

Merrifield said students were alerted by campus loudspeakers.

"There was a voice that just kept repeating, 'Gunman on campus, stay indoors, get away from windows,' over and over, basically," said Merrifield.

One student criticized how university officials reacted after the first shooting.

"I'm pretty outraged that someone died in a shooting in a dorm at 7 O'clock in the morning and the first e-mail about it had no mention of locking down the campus, no mention of canceling classes," Jason Piatt told CNN.

"They just mentioned that they were investigating a shooting," he said.

"That's pretty ridiculous. Meanwhile, while they sent out that e-mail, 21 people got killed."

The shooting was bound to revive debate in the United States about gun violence.

"We live in a society where guns are pretty well accepted," said Jim Sollo, of Virginians Against Handgun Violence. "There are 200 million guns in this society and obviously some in the wrong hands."

Virginia Tech, with 26,000 students, is located in the town of Blacksburg and set in lush rolling hills in the southwest corner of the state, about 240 miles from Washington.

Classes were canceled for Monday and Tuesday and counselors were being brought in to talk to the students.

U.S. News & World Report, which produces well-regarded annual ratings of U.S. universities, ranked Virginia Tech's College of Engineering 17th for an engineering school in the United States.

(Additional reporting by Peter Szekely, John O'Callaghan, Sandra Maler, David Storey and David Wiessler)

Why shoot people that are actually trying to do something with their lives? I hope there is a hell so this fuck can burn for all eternity.

As dumb as this sounds people just need to stop picking on people since kindergarden and then no one has to get hurt!

people kill people over dumb things and it's a lot of times seem like past psychological issues.

My aunt and cousin who I just spent this last weekend with live in Blacksburg. It'll be interesting to hear what they have to say about this crazy fucked up shit.

It seems like the killer had a vendetta over some issue with his girlfriend..He killed one person in the dorms, and two hours later starts shooting up classrooms. Some students were saying he might have been looking for his girlfriend in the rooms.

It just really infuriates me that the school didn't go on lockdown after the first shooting. If they would have prevented students from going to class or going outside, over thirty people would still be alive.

all it would have taken was one student carrying a sidearm.
now all the liberal faggots will be like "omgz, teh gunz, we must bans thems!!!!!11"

Anyone who uses a gun to go on a rampage is a pansy. Otherwise I have no problem with guns, just a problem with guns in the hands of stupid people, which there seems to be a lot of.

Damn, that's really sad. it's really messed up to think that someone was shot earlier in the day and no action was taken. of course, being at as small a school as mine i can't imagine that.

i know a lot of people i graduated with went to Virginia Tech, too. scary.

all it would have taken was one student carrying a sidearm.
now all the liberal faggots will be like "omgz, teh gunz, we must bans thems!!!!!11"

that's a pretty flawed logic right here.

You never know what stupid things people can do with guns. If you let everyone in campus have their own handgun, you can be pretty damn sure you'll hear events like this occur a LOT more often.

that's a pretty flawed logic right here.

You never know what stupid things people can do with guns. If you let everyone in campus have their own handgun, you can be pretty damn sure you'll hear events like this occur a LOT more often.

says the liberal canadian!
criminals and crazy people are gonna kill and comit crimes no matter what.
Good people with guns = less crime

This is endemic to America, though. Hardly any other country in the Western world resorts to mass-murder when a citizen is pissed off at society. It's becoming a uniquely American trait.

says the liberal canadian!
criminals and crazy people are gonna kill and comit crimes no matter what.
Good people with guns = less crime

But, that guy, a few hours before the killing, was probably an ordinary civilian with no story whatsoever. He was one of these "good people" back then. You cannot know who will turn crazy or become a criminal, because it's not genetically indicated. And because of this, allowing everyone to have guns would make these killings just as common as the rain falling down.

America has a gun problem, it's that simple. I couldn't care less what gun enthusiasts think, the quicker people realise an excess of guns (no matter how responsible you claim the majority of owners to be) will nearly always end in preventable deaths.