Another Lackluster Video...A Burden for Opeth to bear...

I don't see how anyone with a brain can say the video for The Grand Ration (since that's what he says in the chopped up edition, it must be the song name) was the best. Well, video wise, they were all bad, but musically, the other two at least just took a few parts of the song out instead of cutting every friggin segment of the song in half so it loses all its meaning.

the video actually fit the song in the lyrics ... not to mention the violence that is subtly mentioned and played through in the video...

Now that we know what Burden is all about...
But the term "violence" is not.. accurate. The violence shown in the video clip is not very accentuated, and the song is not about violence. As for the lyrics, I don't see how they fit with the video. Musicians playing. Besides, a girl and a boy in mysterious situations. Hmmm.

I don't see how anyone with a brain can say the video for The Grand Ration (since that's what he says in the chopped up edition, it must be the song name) was the best.

Sorry but he says "CON-JU-RA-TION", which makes it fit a little bit anyway. Don't say anything next time.

I don't see how anyone with a brain can say the video for The Grand Ration (since that's what he says in the chopped up edition, it must be the song name)

:err:

and The Grand Conjuration video would be a little closer if it wasn't the shittiest chopping up of a song I'd ever seen. (WTF IS "THEEEEE GRAAAAAAAND -RAAAAAAATIOOOOOOON)

:lol:! It's not THE GRAND RATION, they just left the word CONJURATION :lol:

Strange, I was almost certain I saw one that was 5:00 and said that (roadrunnerrecords or something?), but I did just double check the 5:06 one under roadrunnergermany and yea..its conjuration...which is still stupid but at least its not a grand portion of food.

:lol: You simply don't get it, do you? :lol:

^ Yeah! Damn. I knew I saw him talk about it in the past with you on another topic (?). I was like "hmm what the fuck?". Anyways. Just listen, you'll get it, Lateralus.

Maybe he wil get it in about.... :lol: I never found that frase funny but know that it is forbidden I just feel the urge to type it :lol:

the "burden" video once again is a momumental dissappointment not only to myself but as i am sure to a number of Opeth fans which once again proves that albeit the video directing lacks much needed talent, the ultimate flaw was revealed when they failed to include the crescendo and deconstructive finale , thus capping this great ballad ...
Stop crying and go find a job.

lol that's like saying getting a flu is awesome because it's better than cancer

That's a great way of putting it. I was gonna say, after the 'Grand Conjuration' video, it couldn't get much worse (not that the clip for GC looks bad, but what the hell do snakes in the toilet have to do with anything?).

If you ask me personally, I like the religious overtones in the movie referencing Sophia Zoe, the Beast, and the Holy Whore. That part where people in white are reaching over and around the mirror? That's people reaching around the veil.

But then again, they call me a good guesser...Rock on, you crazy diamonds :headbang:

The last post reminded me of a video, that, in some parts, has a similar creative approach:
[ame]http://de.youtube.com/watch?v=CjoOSXIwdaQ[/ame]

Mostly people in slow motion and strange outfits doing things, which could generally be called art.

But the difference is, that the latest Opeth videos are not even closely as original. To be honest, to me they look like the work of a college freshman in film making, trying to be as artsy as he can, without having a good idea at first. And then there is this vampire-theme from the Porcelain Heart video, which is at least overused, if not childish.

On the other hand, especially the Burden-video is better than most music videos I have seen so far. And of course Opeth is about music and not visual interpretations.

visually mike solos should have been played in time to a slow motion burger eating contest were one fat kid eats his 15th burger to win the competion, then cuts back to akefeltd/akersson twin guitar outro

without having a good idea at first

I disagree. I think the video can be seen in 2 different ways, one being the symbolism I was talking about in my last post, but also the fact that he may just have had a girl in his life that can be represented like this. The dance, the fall, the resurrection, the mirror where you can only see yourself, the voices reaching out around it...There's alot of "Duality" so to speak in this video.

Any other interpretations?

:lol: You simply don't get it, do you? :lol:

Nah I do, but it definitely was that at one point, and the video still illogically chops up the rest of the song so who cares if its not currently the grand ration.

So no I'm not that retarded, the first time I had simply only seen the version with "the grand ration", noel corrected me, I looked it up, the new version had "conjuration." Now I just kept with the same old bullshit on that last post to emphasize how shitty they made the song by chopping it up, even though they corrected it in that small instance sorta. I need to be less sucky at sarcasm, sorry.

As an art student I can understand what everyone means when they say the video is lacking direction.

In order to do any sort of project you need to do quite a bit of planning - research and development. I was guilty of doing none of this a few years ago, I'd just get an idea in my head and run straight towards it without doing any planning and you end up with a final piece that's just really rushed and doesn't convey the message you thought it would.

This seems to be the case with the current Opeth videos, the director for PH and Burden just seems to like putting Opeth in run down, old buildings, desaturating the image and adding slow motion dancers/girls in dresses. Personally, I find this to be quite cheesy, just due to the way it has been executed. Bear in mind with music videos, you're generally working to a criteria or concept and these videos just seem to stray from it.

I know these are just promo vids, but there are some fantastic promo vids out there that gel with their music a lot better than the Burden and PH videos.

I don't know, just my two pennies in the basket.

Does nobody but me see a message in the dancing? The girls themselves? The killing of said girl? The old man with the vendetta?

I find it ironic all the old man does is enter the house and leave. In this house are the man and 2 women. Kills one. One lives, singing, one dies screaming. The man screams too. But the old man's job is done. As of currently, I have no doubts this is pure interpretation of a story.

Agree to disagree; I think Lasse Hoile is brilliant. I'm not an art student, and I respect your opinion, but I think the guy does great work for Dream Theater, Porcupine Tree, and Opeth.

Nah I do, but it definitely was that at one point, and the video still illogically chops up the rest of the song so who cares if its not currently the grand ration.

Yeah you are not retarted, there is always an explanation to everything and a reason why you said that, so anyway. It's alright my friend. I think you are a good person, since you don't write like a fucktard. :loco:

I'm surprised Opeth didn't make a video for Coil. It's a really good song, it's very accessible to the mainstream, no cutting needed would be needed as it is fairly short and you could come with some nice fitting visuals pretty easily.

The only problem that does comes to mind however, is that everyone isn't playing on this track.

Other than a good concept, most of the problems arising in promos are solely down to budgets and lack of experience, and I suspect that the budgets, even for an Opeth promo, are relatively miniscule. There's very little pre-production time and precious little post-production either on these videos and the whole thing is generally shot in one 15 hour day!

The industry for the most part relies on people relatively new to it who will work for next to nothing in the hope that it will lead to bigger and better things - in 99% of cases it simply doesn't.

The average chart promo for a big act has a budget of at least £50K, so there's time to flesh out ideas and pay very talented people a living wage and the results generally speak for themselves. Most rock/metal videos are performance based in one location due to the simple fact of time and money. It's also about how much a record company will make out of extra sales due to the promo - the more units you sell the more money gets put behind you. Rock and metal doesn't shift in big enough volume (generally) to spend huge wads of cash on making promos.

Case in point, a few years back I was set to direct the first video for a now fairly major act - the budget offered was just 7000 euros (about £4500 at the time). After budgeting the thing out for my concept (a basic performance video) it was just not possible to pay location fees, equipment hire and wages for even a small crew let alone for myself - I would have been out of pocket by several thousand to get it made paying people a living wage. Exploitation reigns supreme at this end of the market and I simply wasn't happy to go down that route.

I would be intrigued to know exactly how much time and money goes into Opeth videos.........