Another mix that could use some criticism

xMannequiNx

Mar 29, 2009
So I recorded my first band that is actually paying me for my services :D

Also was the first time I got to be able to use my new gear: digimax lt pres, rode nt5s, and new triggers.

I want to do really well on this mix to show off, and I wanted some criticism on it.

Guitars are quad tracked, and all vox are doubled. Drums are all samples with real overheads (nt5s) and a mic for the sideshot (going to replace w/ sample later).

http://codingrockets.com/stuff/studio/TestBounce1.mp3

My main concern is EQ. There is a lot of stuff going on especially in the chorus, and the band wants it mastered very loud, so I need to find a way to make everything sit nicely.

Apologies about the god awful sounding hihats...wasn't much I could do :/

Go to town!

I like what you've done. I'd prolly bring up the lead vocal track just a smidge during the second half of the song.
Are you intentionally leaving in the string noises on those short chords near the beginning? (right before the vocals come in and during also for a bit)
It sounds kinda cool because of the realism but I'd try editing it out and see if it makes it sound more polished and professional.
Reminds me of old Underoath. Pretty cool.

Yeah the vocals definitely have to come up.

Not sure what you mean about the string noises...I know the chords your talking about but I don't hear anything that you described, unless you mean the bass?

Not sure what you mean about the string noises...I know the chords your talking about but I don't hear anything that you described, unless you mean the bass?

No it's the guitar. Right before the vocals come in (when the drum beat comes to a halt and plays crashes) one guitar plays a little descending melody and the other guitar plays just one short chord. There is noticeable noise in that guitar track before he (or she) hits the chord again.
I swear I'm not crazy, it's there :)