Another New Metallica Song "My Apocalypse"

well these new tracks are certainly better than anything metallica has put out since after the black album... but they still are way below the good old days.

I thought this thread was about "My Apocalypse"? It even says so right at the top.

I thought you must have got it mixed up with the metalcore thread, because the new Metallica song quite clearly sounds like Metallica minus the talent & inspiration, and nothing like metalcore whatsoever.

Eh, I don't mind it. The middle section basically makes the song; without it it would be pretty shitty, on par with the Black Album.

It sounds like all those crappy, cookie cutter songs Slayer made after they ran out of ideas, but with the patented metalcore end-of-phrase dissonance tacked on. Even the vocal delivery is surprisingly similar to Araya's (although the chorus is pure Reload).

It sounds much more like Metallica now trying as hard as they can to be mid-eighties Metallica to me. What is this end-of-phrase dissonance you speak of? I can't hear one single iota of metalcore in there.

Yeah they try really hard at being old thrash metallica but dont seem to be inspired to be what they used to be (or dont remember what they did or how they did it). Alot of the new riffs feels so very much like any garage band could have written it. Still as someone said the middle part of the song makes this one better than it would be with just the boring verse/chorus. Some nice Iron Maiden melodies in there (and I dont particulary like Maiden).

I think the other song was pretty good, but this "My Apocalypse" is pretty shitty. It sounds exactly like what I would expect them to sound like at this point. "Cyanide" was slightly worse. I still want to have some hope for the album though. The song is not St. Anger terrible, but I heard it's been getting an ammount of praise that's just way over the limit. I'm sure the album will sell a lot of copies, & it's starting to make me wonder if St. Anger was a actually good career move :ill: It seems to be making people think that songs like this are the work of the gods...

I also agree this song sounds forced.

They aren't heavy enough to be cool for metal listeners.

They aren't trendy enough to be cool for wanna be metal listeners (people who like Disturbed and Avenge Sevenfold etc)

Too old school wanna be thrash for people who like Rock N roll metallica.

I also think this buries them.

Why is it SO freaking hard for bands to just listen to newer updated thrash to hear what it sounds like?

Metal has evolved, but some bands are just stuck in the past trying to recreate a has been sound.

Why is it SO freaking hard for bands to just listen to newer updated thrash to hear what it sounds like?

Metal has evolved, but some bands are just stuck in the past trying to recreate a has been sound.
I personally think the "has-been sound" is better than what it has evolved into and needs to be brought back.

tbh you sound like some metalcore bell-end now...

Whatever. I like everything, including some metalcore sometimes.

I just can recognize that music has evolved and metal has become more beefy in terms of overall sound.

Overkill and Testament update their sound...can't be too hard. The new stuff just sounds thin.