Another Silly Test (DFHS+POD+IMPULSES=CRAP MUSIC)

Theres some low end boominess in the guitars that could probably be high passed out. Knock the kick drum up a little.

Heavy shit dude!

Hahahaha. Yea, I wish. It's a just my 7-string ESP Tuned to Drop A#. But now that I listened to it, after a day. The conclusion is a.) it sounds insanely bassy and b.) just plain horrible. The drums sound way to roomy. Back to the drawing board.....

Me personally, I'm always struggling with the cymbals, and actually I need to make more "car mixes", cause when I listen back to it, something is always bothering me. And now I kinda wish I didn't post that sample, I'm kind of embarassed by it..... but this is kinda how I do it. Everything I use is Waves, and whatever stuff comes with Sonar. This is kinda my channel break down.....

(first off I pitch shift the Kick down about -1.5 in DHFS.)
1.) Kick Drum - w/ mild Compression with a huge swoop in the mids, and basically all low freqs pulled back. THEN... I make a duplicate send of the kick raw..

2.)Kick Drum - I low pass filter down to about 100k, then I take a Waves RBass plugin, set it about 50hz and get the gain where I like the mix the two to taste.

3.)Snare - I mix the bottom and top together, I still have issues here, i can't stop it from blinking my eyes when it hits.... I swoop some mids, and some comp.

4.)Toms - I EQ separately to get rid of some freqs I don't like in each tom, I bus those to a tom bus. Compress a bit. Bring up some Low Freqs, And pull down 8k, to stop that "Miami Vice" sound. DOO DOO, DOO DOO, DOO DOO, DOO DOO, DOO DOO! (what a moron...)

5.)Hi-Hat - I put this about 60% left, comp hard, to have almost no attack, swoop out that stupid middy sound, then drop back in the mix, like -16. But this is something I'm not happy with at all.

Now... this is where it becomes a mess.

6.) Overheads - Are all drums, NO cymbals or hats. Snare at normal volume, Toms about half of that, and kick is almost non-exsistant, but still there. Then I cut a big "Q" but not much, pulling down right in the middle. LPF about 16k. A tiny boost, small Q, towards 100hz to add some thump. Then I compress the crap out of it, lots of make up gain, hardly any attack, release about 250. But I can't get this perfect.

7. Ambiance - Are all my cymbals and my hi-hat. and 1.) Record .2)??????? 3.) Profit. I'm so lost here.....

And on a side note Fuge, I've been chasing your friggen' tone since I heard egg. I wanted to throw my computer away. You're one of those people that makes me hate myself.... But I'm will to help with whatever little knowledge I can give. Screenshots, Cakewalk Bundles, I don't give a shit. (Too bad, what I'm sharing isn't that good!) Once I get this Impulse stuff down I'll get better. I think it's great when people are more then willing to help others out.

Hey Fuge, if you help me out with the guitar tone, I'll take the time, and give you my DHFS settings, and send screen shots and what not of all my Waves + Sonar settings.