Influences

NvmbrsDoom5

Jul 24, 2002
Chicago
www.novembersdoom.com
So, while reading and commenting in another thread on here, I started thinking about what bands have really influenced me to play and write the way I do. I started surfing around Youtube, looking for vintage videos and bootleg clips, etc. There's so much great stuff out there to see, thanks to Youtube. While I'm not a fan of illegal downloading of official cds and stuff, I think Youtube is awesome for viewing stuff like old live clips, or music videos you haven't seen in years and can't really find anywhere. Most of it is stuff that is not commercially available anywhere, anyhow. It kinda reminds me of the old tape trading days, actually. But I digress....

Well anyways, I started thinking about how there's alot of misconceptions amongst fans, detractors, critics, etc., regarding who our influences are. You've all heard me rant about my dislike for the Opeth and MDB "rip off" accusations, especially because they're so incorrect. I thought I would list here some of my personal influences that really inspired me to start playing this kind of music. This isn't necessarily representative of the rest of the guys in the band, just my own influences. Perhaps they'll join in on the topic and add their own two cents to this. Maybe the more astute people can look at the varied influences we have, and put it together to see how it creates the ND sound overall.

For starters, one huge influence on me to play this music is CANDLEMASS. I started listening to them around 1988 roughly, and I still to this day find inspiration in listening to them and trying to capture some of their "vibe". Lars' guitar solos were very influential to me....

http://youtube.com/watch?v=8th_3AoTm_E

And of course, there's TROUBLE, who we've waxed on ecstatically about in the past. Their use of harmony and their song structuring was a big influence for me.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=CSfUNTXacZY

Another doom-ish influence would be WINTER. I can still remember clear as day the first time I heard this band (late 1990) and aside from how astonishingly slow they were, the heaviness and yet catchiness of their riffs was amazing to me. I still LOVE the vocals. Guttural yet understandable. They only released one official album, to my knowledge, and to me it outshines almost everyone who tried copping this style afterwards.
(This video is just the song & album art...I chose to include this as opposed to the official "music video" because the album version of this song is superior to my ears)

http://youtube.com/watch?v=0nObiYbbpv8

Autopsy were a really big influence on me, and to my ears, I hear their influence in the riffs I come up sometimes, and yet I've never seen nor heard anyone ever mention them when reviewing us. This band doesn't get nearly enough credit. Their first two albums were big for me at the time. Listen to their harmonies and heavy riffs that follow, and then think of "Collapse Of The Falling Throe". British doom my ass, LOL.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=w9Cfn7KKSCs

One British act that did have an impact on me in the early days, especially in terms of writing riffs that were drastically downtuned and yet thick and catchy was BoltThrower. I was able to see these guys a couple of times in the early '90s, it was fuckin' great.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=X9BZsOKPWkc

One band that I know the other guys in ND can most certainly agree with me about is Pestilence. I still to this day listen to Consuming Impulse with great frequency. When Martin Van Drunen (i.e. one of the best vocalists EVER) first announced he was joining BoltThrower years ago, I thought I'd about died and gone to heaven LOL Alas that didn't quite work out the way anyone had hoped. But anyhow, Pestilence was and still is a big influence. We've even discussed covering this band someday. You never know...
Anytime we put this cd on and cue this song up, that first fucking riff still blows us away and puts smiles on our faces.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=v7VsKobk7hY

Not to mention bands like Entombed, Grave, Dismember, Gorefest...all very influential to me, and it's still by far the "death metal" that I prefer over most of the DM thats come out in the past ten years or so.

Going back a bit further, my first main influence to try playing this style of music was probably Celtic Frost. Albums like To Mega Therion and especially Into The Pandemonium blew me away, and really made me see that there was a way to be extremely dark and heavy while also adding other elements like clean baritone vocals, female vocals, keyboards and violins, tympani, and even electronic sound effects, and make it work to create something unique. I still listen to these albums and am impressed, even though many many bands have taken and expanded on this stuff over the years, I still prefer the originators.
I wish there were some clips of Pandemonium-era stuff to post to more aptly show what I mean, but this song is great regardless...

http://youtube.com/watch?v=wx-HfWKxgBw

The next biggest old school influence next to CF, for me, is VOIVOD. Most people might be surprised to know what a massive influence they are/were on me and my writing, even now. Guys, there's Voivod influence all over the place on ND albums, I promise you LOL At least on the stuff I've written. Nunez is a big fan of them as well, so I have an ally there hehe Albums like Angel Rat, Outer Limits, & Nothingface in particular were very influential for me, especially in terms of the way Piggy used odd chord structures, and some of the song arrangements they would use.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=LDh6N26_MWc

A more recent band I can honestly say has been an influence on me over the years is Amorphis. I started listening to them back around 1992, one of the few bands who I can say I like every album they've done, some more than others though. I like their newest incarnation but I prefer the Pasi era, for sure. Tuonela & Am Universum were influential on me I think in terms of song structuring and melody. I was starting to write music in this vein when I heard Tuonela for the first time and thought "well they've nailed what I was going for!" I love the way the guitarists play off of each other, and the vocal melodies and structures are great. I think you can hear the influence on ND songs like Lost In A Day especially.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=KE48yblrfJg

Of course there are other bands who I feel were quite important of an influence on me, such as Testament, Megadeth, Metallica...I don't really need to post links to their songs because, well if you aren't already quite familiar with them then I would like to know what rock you've been living under, LOL.

As for some big non-metal influences, one of the biggest is of course Pink Floyd. A huge amount of my influence when it comes to writing the more mellow, acoustic passages definitely is from David Gilmour. Though I realise I'm not even 1/1000th as talented as him! But regardless, his playing and melodic style come to mind often when I'm writing stuff like that. Songs like Echoes and Fearless are favorites of mine.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=7my4eFuUs5o

I also draw alot of influence from stuff like Led Zeppelin, Simon & Garfunkel, David Bowie, The Cure, This Mortal Coil, The Doors, The Beatles, and many more. I'll be up all night writing this shit if I expound any further. Oops, too late, heh.

And one last significant influence I'd like to mention here, is the local band and underground legends Sindrome. I know many of you guys have never even heard of this band but they were a very influential band back in the late '80s, who I have heard being praised by members of Napalm Death, Dissection, Voivod, Sepultura, Slipknot, and many others. They were a major influence on me, especially being from Chicago of course. They never released an official cd, only two high quality demos Into the Halls of Extermination and Vaults of Inner Conscience. Their demos were better than many official albums that were released during that time! It's a slightly technical form of death/thrash. It might sound outdated nowadays but back then it was quite groundbreaking. You can listen to some of their songs (ripped at a somewhat lower quality from cassettes) at www.sindrome.net

Anyways, this might bore the fuck out of some of you, sorry. I just thought it'd be fun to share some stuff that I feel truly influenced me and that I enjoy alot. Check out the links I've posted if you're bored. Feel free to comment on this or ask questions, I don't care.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thats an evenings worth of entertainment right there! Cheers for that Larry. I'll go through it all and whatch all the vids later.

Good stuff Larry, thank you! I must admit I'm not that familiar with some of these, but I am anxious to give them a listen and try to make the connection to what you are doing. I never really gave much thought as to what or who may have influenced one band or another, but this is actually quite interesting!

Thanks guys. Yeah I'm not trying to force this info down anyone's throats, lol. I figured some people might find this uninteresting, that's fine too. Like I said I just get really frustrated when I read reviews and stuff, and see how they always presume our main influences and inspiration come from certain bands, and they're far from the mark. Plus it's an opportunity to share some cool Youtube links with people. As I said before, I'm getting quite addicted to Youtube lately haha.

I also just realised that I left out a major influence, one that I know goes for both Paul and I, so I'm going to edit my original post and add it in there....

Awesome, thanks for sharing that Larry.

In my opinion anyone who hasn't at least sampled VOIVOD is truly missing out on possibly the most original band ever to grace metal...PERIOD.
They are not for everyone, though I think anyone owe's it to themself to check them out.

You guys aren't afraid to stretch beyond your comfort zone, which is why I eagerly await each and every release!

But I thought you were influenced by Opeth and My Dying Bride, and those two bands only!

In all seriousness, Bolt Thrower slays.

To hear certain people talk, they do seem to believe those bands are our main influences. I don't even find them to truly be influences of mine at all, much less "main" ones. Though I do like both those bands.

Bolt Thrower is awesome. And I have only a couple of the albums on cd, all the rest of my BT stuff is on cassette or vinyl! Eventually I have to get them all on disc.

I'm sorry, maybe it's this fuckin' pain causing my isomnia as of late. For what it's worth I've never even remotely heard any Opeth or My Dying Bride integration in Novembers Doom. ND, for me has always been original and their "own beast" if you know what I mean. Now, some may consider that a "fan boy" statement, this being the ND forum and all, but I tell people everywhere I post( and belive it or not, some have never heard of ND) that they are doing themselves a musical disservice by not letting ND into their ears and heads. And many have come back and thanked me for the ND suggestion. One guy said and I paraphrase, "Listening to Paul Kuhr sing and then reading the lyrics to their songs, and the 2 I've heard are the PHD and NR. I feel as if I'm invading this mans privacy because of the sincerity of the voice and music. Such heartfelt emotion. He goes on, and the guitar playing, drumming and bass are off the fuckin' wall, man." So's I say, if you want MDB or Opeth put them on and dig it, because as far as I'm concerned, they are 2 different musical entities. ND has carved out their own musical place. But hey, that's just me.

Yeah I saw on another forum someone said something like, "When I listen to ND, I feel like I'm invading on their privacy because the lyrics are so personal." Haha. Yeah yknow it's not for everyone, I can understand. There's plenty of bands singing about other less personal topics that they can enjoy. I think with the latest cd, Paul has gotten alot better at writing lyrics that are personal but are a bit less direct, and can be taken in different ways.

People use bands like Opeth and My Dying Bride as benchmarks for describing any bands who fall under those general categories, because they're the biggest bands in their respective genres. I can understand that. It's the rip-off accusations that irk me. I guess my point with this thread is kinda to say.....I have never ripped off Opeth or MDB. I'm far too busy still trying to figure out how to rip off Pestilence, Bolt Thrower and Pink Floyd successfully LOFL ;)

Great topic!

Ah, just to know: do you like Depeche Mode? I love them (PTA is one of their greatest albums). And Michael Jackson, Madonna or Police? Ok it sounds stupid but I really enjoy them and I think they created milestones in contemporary music.
I don't see Death; is this because it's understood you like them or because they were not so influential when they were active in those years ('87-'93..before your debut, if I ain't wrong)

If you want one day or another I can tell my influences (I have a band, maybe just said that in here) Even if no one cares!! :lol:

Holy crap! I just read that initial post of Larry's and it's like a cross-section of my early CD collection. Seriously, I don't want to sound blasé about this or anything, but e.g. "Consvming Impvlse" was one of my very first extreme metal albums, alongside Terrorizer's "World Downfall" and a tad later "Altars of Madness" by Morbid Angel.
I think I'm gonna go right back and enjoy all those videos. Cheers to Paul for embedding them and making it easy on our lazy asses. ;)

BTW, Martin van Drunen is (to be) back, should anyone not know yet however be interested: http://www.myspace.com/hailoffuckenbullets

OK, Larry mentioned that the other band member may chime in with this thread, and I think this is a great idea to set the influence record straight, so here's mine. As I respect and love a lot of great vocalists, there were only a very few people who REALLY influenced me. Most were more inspiration.

Duane Rasmussen (Devastation [Chicago]) - Duane was one of the first vocalist I heard in this style, way back in the mid 80's. The video I posted was from 1987. He simply blew me away, and it was the first spark to my thoughts on a vocal style. I loved the brutality of his voice, and knew it was an element I wanted to capture.

Troy Dixler (Sindrome) - Sindrome possibly had the biggest impact on me. When I heard their demo "Into the Halls of Extermination" and heard Troys voice, I knew exactly what I wanted to do. Troy always had a great aggression in his voice, but was always so clear and audible, I knew I needed to work as hard as I could to pronounce every lyric as clearly as possible. Troy is the reason my growls are understandable. No other singer had the same impact on me as he did, and it's a total shame this band never went on to stardom. Keep the time frame in mind, Sindrome was THE greatest demo band in the world. They recorded at Mossissound in Florida, at a time when only bigger bands like Morbid Angel and Obituary could afford to go there. They were FAR ahead of their time. Rumor has it, Troy was in the same room with Chuck Schuldner when they were both handed contracts. Death signed, Sindrome held out for something bigger. They had offers from just about every metal label in existence, but they wanted a major, and held out too long. It pains me to think what they could have done. They did however tour with Death for the "Scream Bloody Gore" tour.

Jorgen Sandstrom (Grave) - Jorgen wasn't so much an influence, as an inspiration. I was already into the growling when I heard him, but listening to his deep tone, he raised the bar for me, and I strived to be that "heavy." When people ask about my voice in interviews, I always say I strived to be as heavy as Jorgen, and as clear as Troy, and for me it worked.

Nick Holmes (Paradise Lost) - Another inspiration, Nick's voice on "Lost Paradise" and "Gothic" was exactly what I was working at achieving. I never set out to copy Nick's vocal style, it just so happens my direct influences and what I attempted to do ended up sounding so close to his voice, it's assumed he was a direct influence. Nick was amazing back in the day, and again, the quality he had made me work that much harder at my style.

Dan Swano (Edge of Sanity) - What's not to say about Dan? I had already found my style when I first heard Dan, but here is another case of someone setting the bar so high, I knew guys like this were out there, and if I wanted to be be taken seriously, then I had to push myself to get there. I'm so thankful for guys like Dan, who have really made me push myself because of how good they are.

Eric Wagner (Trouble) - Such a huge influence on me. Not in vocal style as much as presence, and the feeling in Eric's voice. In my opinion, one of the the very best metal vocalists of all time, as well as the most under appreciated bands in the world. This band should be Metallica huge. If you don't know Trouble, do your ears a favor, and get to know them!

Jim Morrison (The Doors) - What I always loved about Jim Morrison, wasn't his vocal ability. There are certainly better "singers" out there, but what he for me was a style, and so much feeling, I never cared if he was sharp, or flat on a note. He had a gift where he captured your attention, and drew you in, and you got lost in his performance. To me, he will always be the greatest front man the lived. So many have tried to copy Jim, but no one ever will.

Thomas Jensen (Saturnus) - I remember clearly, being in the recording studio recording our second CD "Of Sculptured Ivy and Stone Flowers" and getting a copy of "Paradise Belongs to You." It had just come out, and I had brought it with me to the studio to play for the engineer to use as a reference for my spoken vocals. Thomas has the greatest spoken voice in metal. It's so heart felt and passionate, I wanted to capture that same "feel" in our music. I always think of his style when I record, even now. If you want to hear the most blatant form of "influence" from Thomas, listen to "Silent Tomorrow" from "The Knowing." Christ, I should be sued I ripped his style off so badly!

Last edited by a moderator:
Great topic!

Ah, just to know: do you like Depeche Mode? I love them (PTA is one of their greatest albums). And Michael Jackson, Madonna or Police? Ok it sounds stupid but I really enjoy them and I think they created milestones in contemporary music.
I don't see Death; is this because it's understood you like them or because they were not so influential when they were active in those years ('87-'93..before your debut, if I ain't wrong)

If you want one day or another I can tell my influences (I have a band, maybe just said that in here) Even if no one cares!! :lol:

Yes actually I love Depeche Mode, especially the stuff from the early '80s through to the early '90s. I really like '80s new wave/alternative stuff quite alot, I listen to it as much or moreso than metal these days. I admittedly like it more now than I did when it first came out, though there were certain bands or songs that I always liked.

Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of Death (the band) until Human came out in 1991. I liked and respected them well enough before that and was familiar with them since at least Scream Bloody Gore, but it wasn't until they took that more progressive/technical turn in their music that I started to really appreciate them. I enjoy them alot and I would say they're influential to me, surely.

And of course it goes without saying that Dan and EDGE OF SANTIY were a big influence. I mean....yknow people can throw these other comparisons around like Opeth and stuff, but really I hear a ton of EoS in our music. Maybe I hear it more than you guys do because I know where we're drawing inspiration from! There've been times where a riff or melody or something appears to be blatantly EoS-inspired to me, and then reviews come out and noone mentions it....instead they say it sounds like Opeth *sigh* haha One of the biggest influences that Dan Swano and his projects have had on me, is that he doesn't just limit himself to one style, he will combine many different styles all in one cd, especially in the EoS stuff. They're like, tasteful intelligent death metal, or something, and I like that very much.

Honestly though, just so you know, there's plenty more influences I can cite here, any omissions have only been because I can only type so much in one post at a time :lol:

Ya, Paul, Listening to "Gothic" one night and Nick Holmes is an awesome vocalist. For me, anyway on that album. I'm heading off to the "Annual Blues Fest" here in Pittsburgh in a short while. And will be seeing Frank Marino and Mahogany Rush and roadhouse warrior Delbert Mclinton. I always loved Marinos guitar playing, maybe the 4th time I've seen him. What are your thoughts on Frank, Larry?

Yes actually I love Depeche Mode, especially the stuff from the early '80s through to the early '90s. I really like '80s new wave/alternative stuff quite alot, I listen to it as much or moreso than metal these days. I admittedly like it more now than I did when it first came out, though there were certain bands or songs that I always liked.

Honestly, I wasn't a big fan of Death (the band) until Human came out in 1991. I liked and respected them well enough before that and was familiar with them since at least Scream Bloody Gore, but it wasn't until they took that more progressive/technical turn in their music that I started to really appreciate them. I enjoy them alot and I would say they're influential to me, surely.

And of course it goes without saying that Dan and EDGE OF SANTIY were a big influence. I mean....yknow people can throw these other comparisons around like Opeth and stuff, but really I hear a ton of EoS in our music. Maybe I hear it more than you guys do because I know where we're drawing inspiration from! There've been times where a riff or melody or something appears to be blatantly EoS-inspired to me, and then reviews come out and noone mentions it....instead they say it sounds like Opeth *sigh* haha One of the biggest influences that Dan Swano and his projects have had on me, is that he doesn't just limit himself to one style, he will combine many different styles all in one cd, especially in the EoS stuff. They're like, tasteful intelligent death metal, or something, and I like that very much.

Honestly though, just so you know, there's plenty more influences I can cite here, any omissions have only been because I can only type so much in one post at a time :lol:

Hi new wave brother :cool:

I think that being open minded helps writing, improving etc..this reflects in your posts and in your music..what about an electronic cover album? :lol:

Ah, are you playing in Italy (Torino to be perfect) sometime?